Eleider Alvarez vs Kovalev: done deal

koquerelle

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Eleider Alvarez is headed toward a light heavyweight title fight against Adonis Stevenson’s rival, not Stevenson.

Unable to come to a step-aside agreement with promoter Yvon Michel, BoxingScene.com has learned that Alvarez signed a contract Wednesday to challenge Sergey Kovalev for the WBO 175-pound championship sometime this summer. The Kovalev-Alvarez fight will be broadcast by HBO, but the date and venue haven’t been finalized.
https://www.boxingscene.com/kovalev-fight-eleider-alvarez-not-browne-date-venue-tba--127290
https://www.boxingscene.com/kovalev-fight-eleider-alvarez-not-browne-date-venue-tba--127290

Saw a tweet and it seems it’s done. The negociations supposedly lasted less than 24 hours.

Kovalev by mid round KO.

Nice, Alvarez deserves a big fight even if he's not going to be the favourite.

Nice, Alvarez deserves a big fight even if he's not going to be the favourite.
He’s been deserving a big fight for a while. The whole mess with Stevenson has been going on for very long.

This fight here isn't bad. Kov is a lock at LHW for Top 3 across the board (either #1 or #2 depending on whether you feel being lineal (Stevenson) is worth the top spot) and Alvarez is a lock for Top 5 across the board (either #4 or #5) except for ESPN's rankings where he's rated #8. Checked The Ring, TBRB, BoxRec and ESPN.

I want to see Kov, Bivol, Beterbiev, the winner of Stevenson vs Jack & Gvozdyk in particular all mix it up, politics aside. Especially Kov, Beterbiev, Bivol and eventually Gvozdyk, too.

Y'all have no clue who Eleider Alvarez is do you?

Stevenson is an absolute joke. Glad the guy is getting a big name opportunity.

That said, Kova is all sorts of wrong for him. Eleider cant punch.

Stevenson is an absolute joke. Glad the guy is getting a big name opportunity.

That said, Kova is all sorts of wrong for him. Eleider cant punch.

I'm not sure if we even know who Eleider Alvarez is (post #7). Let's see what he's got when he fights Kovalev (someone we do know). Then we'll know what the fella is about.

I'm not sure if we even know who Eleider Alvarez is (post #7). Let's see what he's got when he fights Kovalev (someone we do know). Then we'll know what the fella is about.
Id never heard of him until he fought Bute (Bute fanboy). Watched him fight Bute and Pascal and some clips from various others leading up to those. I dont put much in the Bute KO because hes beyond washed up, but he did put on a jab clinic vs Pascal. The MD was a joke, it wasnt close at all.

That said, jab fest isnt going to stop Kovalev. If you watch the Bute fight, I think youll see some things that are a bad, bad recipe for fighting Kova. He is easily worked up and will get emotional in the ring. Doesnt have the fire power to try that with Krusher.

good fight.
I'm with you, I really like this fight. I think Alvarez is better than most others seem to. I obv favor Kov but Alvarez is a talented fighter and he could make this fun. I hope the fight's in Quebec, they always show up for their guys and make for a great atmosphere. I'm not that far from there, I really need to go to a big fight with a hometown fighter up there sometime.

Alvarez has the better boxing skills. and well he doesnt have a good ko record I've seen times when he was out boxing people and landed a ko shot out of no where. I think Kovalev isn't the same as he used to be. this will be kovalev biggest win. I don't count the "ud win vs ward" and the "Dq win vs ward" since those don't exist. the sharpness could give kovalev troubles at points but if he (kovalev) lands a nice power shot on Alvarez the game plan changes.

Kovalev by UD 116-112

I'm with you, I really like this fight. I think Alvarez is better than most others seem to. I obv favor Kov but Alvarez is a talented fighter and he could make this fun. I hope the fight's in Quebec, they always show up for their guys and make for a great atmosphere. I'm not that far from there, I really need to go to a big fight with a hometown fighter up there sometime.

Ditto. Alvarez will be the second best fighter Kovalev has faced.

I still prefered to see Kovalev vs Marco Brown

Now I heard Dmitry Bivol might not fight because he doesnt have an opponent.

Id never heard of him until he fought Bute (Bute fanboy). Watched him fight Bute and Pascal and some clips from various others leading up to those. I dont put much in the Bute KO because hes beyond washed up, but he did put on a jab clinic vs Pascal. The MD was a joke, it wasnt close at all.

That said, jab fest isnt going to stop Kovalev. If you watch the Bute fight, I think youll see some things that are a bad, bad recipe for fighting Kova. He is easily worked up and will get emotional in the ring. Doesnt have the fire power to try that with Krusher.

That's cool. I mean today though, we all know who he is or at least most of us here do. Like you said, he fought Bute and Pascal so hardcore fans will know who he is. Definitely not a household name but neither is Kovalev. If I get time later I'll rewatch the Bute fight.

Alvarez has the better boxing skills. and well he doesnt have a good ko record I've seen times when he was out boxing people and landed a ko shot out of no where. I think Kovalev isn't the same as he used to be. this will be kovalev biggest win. I don't count the "ud win vs ward" and the "Dq win vs ward" since those don't exist. the sharpness could give kovalev troubles at points but if he (kovalev) lands a nice power shot on Alvarez the game plan changes.

Kovalev by UD 116-112
Any good examples of him comitting to the body?

I firmly believe that is Kova’s biggest glaring weakness.

well yes He's a combo puncher he goes for 6-8 punch combos and body is included. but I mean not a body puncher in the sense bute or jack are where some of their best shots were too the body.

Back