Encompassing Athleticism and Fighting

Good training again today. Decided to see where my squat is at.

Warmup:
Some shadowboxing to get warm at first and then some misc stuff.

PL/Weightlifting:
- Squats -
- bar
- 10x60kg
- 5x90kg
- 1x110kg
- 1x120kg
- 1x130kg
- 1x140kg - PR
- 1x145kg - PR

- 5x110kg
- 5x90kg paused

That was pretty cool!

Misc: Knuckle pushups, calf raises, lateral raises, dumbbell rows, prone leg curls, glut med work, some ankle work and stretching.

Shadowboxing/warmup:

Squat 130kg:

Squat 140kg:

Squat 145kg:

Last edited:
Another session:

Warmup:
Some partnered shadowboxing with a classmate
Some mobility/stretching/warmup

PL/Weightlifting:
- Squat -
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 6x90kg
- 5x100kg
- 5x100kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 6x120kg rep PR
- 4x130kg rep PR

- 6x90k paused

Nice! Getting stronger. Depth was a little iffy on the 130kg ones, but it's alright.

Misc:
A few sets of lateral raises and dumbbell rows.

I didn't do much today because I spent most of the time exchanging ideas with a classmate of mine. It was pretty awesome. Helped him out with hip hinging, squatting and anterior tilt and teaching him the basics of punching as well. Squats are improving, really awesome. Consistency really is the key.

Last edited:
Haven't been training much lately. I started interning two weeks ago and have been working a lot. 9 weeks this time and then it's back to school. It's tough, but great being out there and working with real people. A lot of responsibilty, but it's a good thing.

I squatted last week just to try to keep my levels were they are at. Looked something like this:

PL/Weightlifting:
- Squat -
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 8x90kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg
- 6x90kg paused

I've been shadowboxing and working on some different bags a little as well. Good news, head is feeling better and better. Concussion symptoms are a lot better and I can actually speed things up a little now and start putting some weight behind the strikes! After my neurologist visit in about two weeks I hope to be getting the green light! Then I'll go back to fight training again after the 9 weeks is finished at the clinic. Can't wait to get back to sparring again!

Here's a few vids from the last two weeks:

Shadowboxing:

Bagwork on crappy bag:

Nice work, squats are coming along! Any new goals?

Try to change levels when doing the body punches. Throwing multiple body straights without a level change can leaves you open to some nasty counters. Other than that, good speed. I like the fluidity from 2 to 3 and vice versa

Nice work, squats are coming along! Any new goals?
Thanks man! It's appreciated!

I'm not really sure. I want to do a lot of things, but I've learned that if I spread myself too thin I'll be doing myself a disservice. I think the priority right now is getting back to MMA and sparring again. One positive about dealing with the head trauma is that the pause gave me time to focus on fewer things and improve on them. Besides, I wouldn't mind hitting a 160kg squat soon-ish, which I think is not unrealistic. Being able to squat well and progressing feels incredible. It's very addictive!

Try to change levels when doing the body punches. Throwing multiple body straights without a level change can leaves you open to some nasty counters. Other than that, good speed. I like the fluidity from 2 to 3 and vice versa
Hey my man!

Are you talking about the bagwork vid or the shadowboxing one? If it's the bagwork video then I'm not really throwing bodyshots down the pipe. The top part of the bag has no filling so I have to aim the regular straights at like chest level lol. Anyway, you can never be reminded enough to not be lazy with changing levels!

Thanks btw, I can finally start using my speed again. I've really worked on pulling back more and not being so front foot heavy. I feel like I move a lot better now and I control range a lot better as well. I can't wait to get back into sparring! I'll get some rounds recorded when I go back, which will probably be in about 2 months time.

Hey my man!

Are you talking about the bagwork vid or the shadowboxing one? If it's the bagwork video then I'm not really throwing bodyshots down the pipe. The top part of the bag has no filling so I have to aim the regular straights at like chest level lol. Anyway, you can never be reminded enough to not be lazy with changing levels!

Thanks btw, I can finally start using my speed again. I've really worked on pulling back more and not being so front foot heavy. I feel like I move a lot better now and I control range a lot better as well. I can't wait to get back into sparring! I'll get some rounds recorded when I go back, which will probably be in about 2 months time.
The bagwork one, but I guess the reason makes sense.

I usually use a front foot heavy type stance, but its only when I initiate my strikes, normally the weight is 50-50, once I dig in its 80-20 lead leg. I actually use many stances in fighting, when I first started it was one way or the highway, I even shift to a traditional thai one when I'm far out.

The bagwork one, but I guess the reason makes sense.

I usually use a front foot heavy type stance, but its only when I initiate my strikes, normally the weight is 50-50, once I dig in its 80-20 lead leg. I actually use many stances in fighting, when I first started it was one way or the highway, I even shift to a traditional thai one when I'm far out.
What I feel is really great is to have options in your stance, like you say. If you can fight several ways it really opens up a lot of things.

Main thing is that I've always been a come forward, front foot heavy, eat shots and come back volume puncher who doesn't clinch. After accumulating a concussion I've really put some thought into range and pulling back. I'll still be aggressive because that's what I love, but I'm looking forward to going back to sparring and seeing if the training I did on my own has paid off.

What I feel is really great is to have options in your stance, like you say. If you can fight several ways it really opens up a lot of things.

Main thing is that I've always been a come forward, front foot heavy, eat shots and come back volume puncher who doesn't clinch. After accumulating a concussion I've really put some thought into range and pulling back. I'll still be aggressive because that's what I love, but I'm looking forward to going back to sparring and seeing if the training I did on my own has paid off.
Work on creating a strong and firm block/guard. Do you wait a bit too long before retaliating or are you getting countered with big shots in the pocket?

Work on creating a strong and firm block/guard. Do you wait a bit too long before retaliating or are you getting countered with big shots in the pocket?
It's a lot of things. I spar with some really good pros sometimes, and it's just my style to push the pace and go hard no matter who it is. I kinda like eating shot and slugging it out lol, but it's not healthy. Blocks, parries, pulls, headmovement it's all part of what I need to work on. Also I get tired and drop my hands and get countered pretty hard coming in sometimes.

It's a lot of things. I spar with some really good pros sometimes, and it's just my style to push the pace and go hard no matter who it is. I kinda like eating shot and slugging it out lol, but it's not healthy. Blocks, parries, pulls, headmovement it's all part of what I need to work on. Also I get tired and drop my hands and get countered pretty hard coming in sometimes.
Damn Sano, are you a gym hero?

Nothing wrong with hands down, but you need to be out of range or with good posture so you're not within their kill range. I guess if you're making every strike a real strike, you'd tire out quick, try to mask them, and have a few.
At the end of the day, even the most n00b hobbyist will shell up and block. So while making all shots hard is nice, only a few would get in anyways, and if its hitting nothing but guard, its almost a waste of energy.
These days I go from hands, kick, hands, its alot more confusing than the usual 1,2,1,kick. Of course an experienced fighter will interrupt my volley on the 2nd or 3rd strike, but its something I've come across that's been working wonders so far. Give a shot if you want.

Not sure if its Europe gym culture, or just specific gyms themselves, but is the hard sparring ala dutch gyms, the norm there?

Damn Sano, are you a gym hero?

Nothing wrong with hands down, but you need to be out of range or with good posture so you're not within their kill range. I guess if you're making every strike a real strike, you'd tire out quick, try to mask them, and have a few.
At the end of the day, even the most n00b hobbyist will shell up and block. So while making all shots hard is nice, only a few would get in anyways, and if its hitting nothing but guard, its almost a waste of energy.
These days I go from hands, kick, hands, its alot more confusing than the usual 1,2,1,kick. Of course an experienced fighter will interrupt my volley on the 2nd or 3rd strike, but its something I've come across that's been working wonders so far. Give a shot if you want.

Not sure if its Europe gym culture, or just specific gyms themselves, but is the hard sparring ala dutch gyms, the norm there?
Haha nah not at all. I think I need to put it into context.

When I say push the pace I mean put pressure on someone and make them uncomfortable. I never throw hard strikes if I can help it, especially not against someone I can control. I prefer using as little power as possible because I don't want to rely on strength. Not that I'm very powerful at all. You can check the sparring vid further up.

When I'm sparring someone who can beat me up however I usually try to match their intensity and sometimes it just escalates. Me being the lesser fighter means I get my ass kicked lol, but I'm stubborn that way and I don't like quitting. It's something I'm working on.

The gym culture where I train is actually very good. But, we have a lot of international fighters coming through and sometimes stuff happens. I'm 6'2, 200lbs, like to push people back and can take a shot, so naturally pros go harder on me.

The thing you mention about even newbs can highguard and block. Personally I love when I put pressure on someone and they just hold a tight guard and stand still. The easiest way to set up body shots. I personally don't care for the guard + you go, I go, dutch style. It's just not my style.

That being said, I definitely need to be able to do it and work on my guard more, especially when coming forward.

Haha nah not at all. I think I need to put it into context.

When I say push the pace I mean put pressure on someone and make them uncomfortable. I never throw hard strikes if I can help it, especially not against someone I can control. I prefer using as little power as possible because I don't want to rely on strength. Not that I'm very powerful at all. You can check the sparring vid further up.
Use natural PEDs, aka bringing your girl to watch. Any can that has a misses watching becomes a Palhares beast

When I'm sparring someone who can beat me up however I usually try to match their intensity and sometimes it just escalates. Me being the lesser fighter means I get my ass kicked lol, but I'm stubborn that way and I don't like quitting. It's something I'm working on.
Spike their drink

The gym culture where I train is actually very good. But, we have a lot of international fighters coming through and sometimes stuff happens. I'm 6'2, 200lbs, like to push people back and can take a shot, so naturally pros go harder on me.

The thing you mention about even newbs can highguard and block. Personally I love when I put pressure on someone and they just hold a tight guard and stand still. The easiest way to set up body shots. I personally don't care for the guard + you go, I go, dutch style. It's just not my style.

That being said, I definitely need to be able to do it and work on my guard more, especially when coming forward.

They do block, what I mean is throwing 1,2,1 at the head becomes for naught when the gloves shell up. Anyone that gets hit hard on the 1st strike will autopilot to protect their head right away, unless your strikes are really fast and they can't make it in time; Which is why its good to ease heat on the initial set up strikes, and throw the main kill shot, in your case would be a body kick, long knee, or liver punch (hook).

Its not like you have to shell for long:
you start outside, you close distance to throw a combo, they interrupt it, you block the first 2 hands, and retaliate back, and repeat. Not turn based, but rather in real time

Did some training today after I got off at the clinic.

Shadowboxing and some mobility work as a warmup.

Then bagwork, working on both defense, offense, kicks, knees and punches for about an hour. I'm sore all over lol.

Then a bodyweight circuit I've started. Everything controlled and with good form:

Bulgarian split squats: 8 reps each leg
Chinups: 5 reps
Close grip pushups: 6 reps
Hanging bent leg raises: 7 reps
Pike pushups: 7 reps
Inverted rows: 5 reps
x3 sets

Went to see a neurologist today. Good news, I was cleared of everything and not positive on any test. Bad news, he advised that I stop full contact martial arts all together. Neck is killing me a little bit, but I'll go see a physio about that.

Anyway, went training today. I haven't done much training since interning again 5 weeks ago. Still 4 weeks left.

Warmup:
Shadowboxing/mobility work/some bagwork

PL/Weightlifting:
- Squat -
- Bar
- 10x60kg
- 8x80kg
- 8x80kg
- 8x80kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x110kg

Felt ok, don't feel like I've lost any strength really.

BW:
Bulgarian split squats: 7 reps each leg
Chinups: 4 reps
Straight leg bench dips: 7 reps
Hanging bent leg raises: 7 reps
Pike pushups: 7 reps
x3 sets

Had a short day today at the clinic as we were visited by other students from the school. It was pretty fun. We visited them last week for a day, and saw how they worked with their patients and exchanged ideas. The theme was motor learning. This time they came to us and we showed them around and they saw us working with our patients. Got off early so had some time to train. Btw, had sick DOMS after squatting last week lol. Only squatting a few times a month gives me terrible DOMS.

Tried the trapbar today. Never tried it before, it felt very different. Felt it in the glutes and quads a lot more than the hamstrings. Athleticly it felt like it would transfer a little better to most activities, but anyway it was fun to try.

Warmup/Striking:
Some light mobility
Shadowboxing for about 3-4 rounds
Bagwork for about, dunno, 20-30 minutes in all with breaks here and there. Worked on headmovement and countering off it, and close range mostly.

PL/Weightlifting:
- Trapbar Deadlift -
- Bar
- 10x80kg
- 10x80kg
- 10x80kg
- 8x100kg
- 8x100kg
- 8x100kg

Was pretty light, felt it a little with the grip.

BW:
Chinups: 4 reps
Close grip pushups: 7 reps
Hanging bent leg raises: 8 reps
Pike pushups: 8 reps
x3 sets

Vid from the bagwork drilling. A little potshotty, focusing on form. Did put a little more into it a few times further towards the end. It looks ok, still need to improve as always. Really glaring thing is that I don't roll of do anything after throwing the straight right really. I think that might be why I feel so vulnerable behind it. 3 weeks till sparring again YES!!!

Worked out a little today after getting off early.

I'm going to put compounds on the back burner a little bit and get some cardio in. I'm in terrible shape cardio wise and I'm starting MMA again in 3 weeks time (FUCKING YES!), and want to recover a little better. So cardio block coming up. PS: I have to lose some weight as well, I'm pretty fat atm.

Cardio:
20 min bike LISS
10-15 min shadowboxing

Some mobility drills

BW:
Chinups: 5 reps
Close grip pushups: 8 reps
Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 4 reps
Diamond pike pushups (2nd): 4 reps
Inverted rows: 6 reps
x3 sets

Ended with some stretching.

Last edited:
Cardio:
- 20 min bike LISS
- Light shadowboxing

Misc:
- Mobility warmup
- CMJ 3x5, focus on triple extension
- Supine clamshells with band (unilateral and bilateral)
- Sidelying clamshells with band

BW:
- Bulgarian split squats: 8 reps each leg
- Chinups: 5 reps
- Straight leg bench dips: 7 reps
- Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 5 reps
- Diamond pike pushups (2nd): 5 reps
- Inverted rows: 7 reps
x3 sets

Cardio:
- 25 min bike LISS
- Headmovement drills

Misc:
- Quick mobility warmup
- Prone leg curls with plantar flexion
8x10kg, 8x10kg, 8x10kg

BW:
- Beginner shrimps (2nd): 4 reps each leg (challenging to control the eccentric, dropping a little bit)
- Chinups: 6 reps
- Diamond pushups (2nd): 4 reps
- Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 6 reps
- Diamond pike pushups (2nd): 6 reps
- Inverted rows: 8 reps
x3 sets

Fuck, I'm heavy right now! Weighing myself these last few days and I'm floating around 98-100kg. Need to shed weight and control my eating habits.

Cardio:

- 25 min bike LISS - 10km

Misc:
- Mobility warmup
- Prone leg curls
8x20kg, 8x15kg, 8x15kg
- Supine clamshells with band (unilateral)
- Sidelying clamshells with band
- Single leg glute bridges
- Squats with bands (keeping constant tension in the glutes, not going further down than it's possibly to hold that tension. Trying to stabilise my pelvis a little more as my SI has been acting up lately) + kickback for medius
- Psoas March with bands (controlled eccentric)

BW:
- Beginner shrimps (2nd): 4 reps each leg
- Chinups: 7 reps
- Diamond pushups (2nd): 5 reps
- Hanging straight leg raises (2nd): 7 reps
- Straight leg bench dips: 8 reps
- Inverted rows: 8 reps
x3 sets

PS:
Found some very interesting Sumo workouts that I might sporadically put in my regiment. It works well with staying low, keeping tension for my SI. Always exciting trying new stuff!

Last edited:
Back