***Eric "Zebrinha" Spicely SHERDOG Q&A #1***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your next opponent is pretty well rounded. Will you still be looking to take the fight to the ground?

Did you find it hard to balance work with training when you were coming up as a fighter, and do you still have to work to pay for training and other expenses now that you're in the UFC?

As an aside, I'm local, I used to train at Triforce a bit, and I am pretty sure I have seen you in the gym there once or twice. So it was really cool for me to see a local guy get a submission win in the first round against someone like Santos, and know that I had been to the same gym (although I haven't been there consistently since last year unfortunately). Best of luck to you throughout your career. :)

Pretty stupid question since you're a fighter but:

When you're facing somebody with high knockout power (let's say Thiago Santos) do you get scared/nervous of possibly getting "knocked the fuck out" aka. knocked out unconscious?

Last edited:
Did you find it hard to balance work with training when you were coming up as a fighter, and do you still have to work to pay for training and other expenses now that you're in the UFC?

As an aside, I'm local, I used to train at Triforce a bit, and I am pretty sure I have seen you in the gym there once or twice. So it was really cool for me to see a local guy get a submission win in the first round against someone like Santos, and know that I had been to the same gym (although I haven't been there consistently since last year unfortunately). Best of luck to you throughout your career. :)
It is quite challanging it's hard to find a full time job that will work w your schedule. I still have my job but I was able to take time off and train full time. For the Alvey fight I didn't do that. This fight I dropped everything and went to Tristar. Winning a bonus def helped for the next training camp. The problem is up and coming guys who don't have shit can't afford to bankroll a training camp to fight someone who's a full time fighter. That was the key to this fight for me

Pretty stupid question since you're a fighter but:

When you're facing somebody with high knockout power (let's say Thiago Santos) do you get scared/nervious of possibly getting "knocked the fuck out" aka. knocked out unconscious?
Honestly anyone can knock anyone out. So that thought is always on my mind. My girlfriend is a med student and will be a dr next year. Before I used to not give a fuck but now I care very much about my brain. But like w anything if you worry too much about someone's strengths you'll forget about your own. I was so worried about standing w Alvey that I didn't even realize I hurt him w a straight right. I work really hrs on my standup I probably grapple only twice a week these days. I didn't over think Thiagos ability on the feet I respected it but wasn't afraid and that allowed me to win without getting hit a punch.

Honestly anyone can knock anyone out. So that thought is always on my mind. My girlfriend is a med student and will be a dr next year. Before I used to not give a fuck but now I care very much about my brain. But like w anything if you worry too much about someone's strengths you'll forget about your own. I was so worried about standing w Alvey that I didn't even realize I hurt him w a straight right. I work really hrs on my standup I probably grapple only twice a week these days. I didn't over think Thiagos ability on the feet I respected it but wasn't afraid and that allowed me to win without getting hit a punch.
Thanks for the good answers.

Do you have any hobbies or things you like to do for entertainment outside of fighting?

Do you have any hobbies or things you like to do for entertainment outside of fighting?
I like to work on old cars mostly old Volkswagens. I grow a lot of veggies every year. I still skateboard. Pro wrestling as well. I'm trying to see if the UFC will let me do both but joe silva ignored that request haha. Legal said it was ok

I actually play a lot of games but every winter I love to play Skyrim haha.
My man!

sad_frog.jpg

I like to work on old cars mostly old Volkswagens. I grow a lot of veggies every year. I still skateboard. Pro wrestling as well. I'm trying to see if the UFC will let me do both but joe silva ignored that request haha. Legal said it was ok

How do you think Ben Askren would do in the UFC today? it's a topic that crops up here often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back