ESPN Rates Lomachenko Number One P4P Fighter

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
ESPN has updated their P4P list through Sept 19. They have Lomachenko ranked over Terrence Crawford, and Canelo Alvarez. Here are their top 10:

1) Lomachenko
2) Crawford
3) Canelo
4) GGG
5) Errol Spence
6) Mikey Garcia
7) Naoyo Inoue
8) Srisaket Sor Rungvisai
9) Oleksandr Usyk
10) Anthony Joshua

(http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...nd-rankings-canelo-alvarez-makes-top-3-boxing)

Do you agree with Lomachenko getting the top spot? Do you agree with ESPN's list overall?

Last edited:
I think I’d put Canelo over him after last weekend and maybe GGG, too.

Srisaket and Usyk at 8 and 9? Spence #5? AJ on the list? ooooffffff

IMO:
1. Crawford
2. Loma
3. SSR
4. Canelo
5. Usyk
6. Garcia
7. Inoue
8. GGG
9. Nietes
10. LSC

A lot of these numbers I disagree with, but I especially don't think Lomachenko should be #1 on the list. Canelo and GGG should be above him at the very least. Loma has looked amazing in the ring and I personally think he will be the best in the world, but he needs to prove it first. A lot of the guys on this list have been tested by some really remarkable boxers, and even though he has faced his share of slick competition, his biggest test has been Jorge Linares. I don't think that can really compare to the Canelo and GGG fights, or Anthony Joshua stopping Vlad.

Not a bad list

Id swap places between Crawford and Loma and also Garcia and Spence

I think I’d put Canelo over him after last weekend and maybe GGG, too.
I'm interested, why would you rate both over him? One of the fighters lost and the other one won. Surely the one who lost goes down the ratings not up? Or did you have it a draw?

Ive been saying its Canelo and i think this win vindicates that.

At 28 he already has a storybook career with wins over great fighters or former great fighters and some with big names
Wins over Golovkin, Cotto, Trout, Lara, Mosley, Khan, Chavez Jr, and a young loss to Mayweather.
He'll be this generations most remembered fighter.

Ive been saying its Canelo and i think this win vindicates that.

At 28 he already has a storybook career with wins over great fighters or former great fighters and some with big names
Wins over Golovkin, Cotto, Trout, Lara, Mosley, Khan, Chavez Jr, and a young loss to Mayweather.
He'll be this generations most remembered fighter.
I don't think so. Alot of his wins are 'barely' wins. To be great you have to dominate the opposition, not get lucky points victories.

Arguing off of quality of win, it's pretty much impossible to have Crawford over Canelo. I don't think it's unreasonable to say Crawford is a better fighter, and the fact he was lineal in two weight classes is impressive (Canelo has the same accolade), but Crawford's best win is probably Viktor Postol. Canelo has four wins better than Postol (Cotto, Trout, Lara, and Golovkin). The fights might have been close, but all of those wins were earned. I can see the argument for Lomachenko after he beat Linares as Linares was noticeably bigger and a half-decent champion (Canelo's resume is still far better on paper, but there is probably enough there, otherwise, to argue for Lomachenko), but it's hard to see the argument for Crawford at the moment.

As per usual, Sor Rungvisai is given the shit end of the stick.

Still can't really see how Crawford ranks #2.

I don't think so. Alot of his wins are 'barely' wins. To be great you have to dominate the opposition, not get lucky points victories.
According to who? You don't get to decide certain wins are irrelevant.

IMO:
1. Crawford
2. Loma
3. SSR
4. Canelo
5. Usyk
6. Garcia
7. Inoue
8. GGG
9. Nietes
10. LSC

Respect. Where would you rank Wilder? Should he have made top the 10 with his stoppage of an undefeated Ortiz this year?

Still can't really see how Crawford ranks #2.

True. I would have personally put him over Loma, considering he cleaned out 140, moved up to 147 and immediately took the WBO. I like Loma but I'd be interested to know how they figured him over Bud in that regard.

Where would you rank Crawford?

Respect. Where would you rank Wilder? Should he have made top the 10 with his stoppage of an undefeated Ortiz this year?
no, Wilder is definitely not top 10 P4P. Not that he's a bad fighter or anything. He might even prove to be a P4Per, but one big win over Ortiz isn't enough to be in the P4P discussion.

True. I would have personally put him over Loma, considering he cleaned out 140, moved up to 147 and immediately took the WBO. I like Loma but I'd be interested to know how they figured him over Bud in that regard.

Where would you rank Crawford?
Lower. Who has he fought that sniffs the top 50 P4P?

I'm interested, why would you rate both over him? One of the fighters lost and the other one won. Surely the one who lost goes down the ratings not up? Or did you have it a draw?
I had Golovkin winning 8-4, but the fight was close and open to many interpretations. I don’t agree with the decision but I have to respect it and rate Canelo above GGG. As much as I admire Lomachenko, I don’t think he’s ever looked as good as Canelo or GGG looked on Saturday.

Lower. Who has he fought that sniffs the top 50 P4P?

I think they may have been giving him credit for his work in the 140, and being undisputed there. The only fight he had this year was Horn for the WBO. He was expected to win that fight. I would love to see him tested against Spence.

Back