Ethan Hawke

sweede

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watched First Reformed (2018) this weekend and man was this movie good. This got me thinking of Ethan and how well he pulls of dialogue heavy movies. His work with Julie Delpy are one of my favourite triologies of any series, and movies I can watch and enjoy with female companion. I think he is one of our times best actors. He is in the same league as Daniel-Day Lewis, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. Sorry, but I think Leonardo di Caprio is great but not that great.

What do you think of Ethan Hawke?

vIyosqO.jpg

Rating: 9/10

He's moderately talented, but takes himself way too seriously and can come off like a douche. There was an interesting article about him in the NYT recently that casts a somewhat sympathetic light on that, though - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/movies/ethan-hawke-blaze-foley-first-reformed.html.

Same league as Gary Oldman Denzel Washington? No. Not even close. FWIW I'm not a Leo fan either. He decided to be a movie star instead of an actor somewhere along the way.

He's in the -A category. I like him as an actor but tends to "Keannu" some roles.

I like Ethan.
Like TS, I enjoyed the Before Sunrise movies, and I think Ethan is a solid actor. But on the level of DDL, Oldman, or Denzel???? NOPE. Ethan is solid, but he doesn't have a lot of range. I think he is underrated though, and he could do more. He doesn't seem to attach himself to big projects these days
I am interested in First Reformed though.

He was great in Training Day.

He was awesome in Gattaca

He is definantly underrated. Most good actors you dont realize how many great movies they have been in until you look them up on wikipedia.

Daniel Day Lewis is another example.

Ethan Hawke will be the next Obi-Wan mark my words and I will bump this in a few years

He seems like he be better for the stage than screen cause he does favor the heavy speaking role like Tapes. Gattaca is such a good movie.

I watched First Reformed (2018) this weekend and man was this movie good. This got me thinking of Ethan and how well he pulls of dialogue heavy movies. His work with Julie Delpy are one of my favourite triologies of any series, and movies I can watch and enjoy with female companion. I think he is one of our times best actors. He is in the same league as Daniel-Day Lewis, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. Sorry, but I think Leonardo di Caprio is great but not that great.

What do you think of Ethan Hawke?

vIyosqO.jpg

Rating: 9/10

He is in the same league as Daniel-Day Lewis, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington.

Russel Crowe

giphy.gif

He seems like he be better for the stage than screen cause he does favor the heavy speaking role like Tapes. Gattaca is such a good movie.

I could not agree more on Gattaca! And I think he is way above the average intelligent actor working in Hollywood. It´s crazy how he can know the lines for scenes that last for up to 30 min in one take! In that regard he really reminds me of DDL.

Its not a personal positive bias I have with the likes of Ethan Hawke or Nic Cage for example. I just think when they are doing great, they sure belong in the top of my list of greatest actors.

Take the rather mediocre movies such as Sinister (2012) and Predestination (2014). Those 2 got interesting because of one actors performance, and that indeed makes him great.

4FVhCTF.jpg

6/10

JS4BDO4.jpg

7/10

Will always remember him for Sinister 1. Goat Horror.

Loved First Reformed - http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/144504915/

He was also really good in Gattaca and Training Day, all round I like him.

Just back from the cinema, where I saw:

First Reformed (2018)
first-reformed-schrader-633x356.jpg

First impressions are that it was incredible, a modern masterpiece for sure. The plot concerns Ernst Toller (Ethan Hawke), a middle-aged pastor at an small, old church in upstate New York and the crisis of faith he experiences. He is haunted by the death of his son in the Iraq War and suffers from physical ailments (which later appears to be cancer), worsened by his apparent alcoholism. Although the specifics are not immediately clear, almost immediately you are given the impression that this is a man struggling with his faith and "the sickness unto death" (Kierkegaard is quoted later in the film) despite his role as a pastor. He begins to keep a journal to help, which are given in the form if voice-overs. I don't want to spoil the film by going into too much detail about what actually causes his "dark night of the soul", but he is asked by one of the women (Amanda Seyfried) in his church to speak with her husband, a radical environmentalist who has recently been released from prison and who wants her to abort their child. He has lost all hope and she asks Toller to speak with him. Soon a number of events occur which have a profound impact on Toller - leading him to question his faith, and deal with issues like mans search for meaning, pollution and global warming, the spiritual and profane, and so on. It's a very powerful film, one that leaves you with lingering questions after you leave the cinema.

The first thing I said to my friend was that it was like Diary of a Country Priest crossed with Winter Light with some Taxi Driver thrown in. It is very much in the mould of the first two films, stylistically it is very austere, it treats it's subject matter with seriousness, and there are several plot points (mainly early on) which are undoubtedly supposed to refer the view back to Winter Light. I doubt it was accidental. The aspect ratio of 1.37:1 would also seem to call back to those films. In some sense it updates the religious films of Bresson, Bergman, and Dreyer as well, for our own time period. The element of a diary/journal in a film like this obviously invites comparison with Diary of a Country Priest. The fear of nuclear annihilation in Winter Light becomes fear of global warming and the destruction of planet earth. The film thus seems to suggest that although the context is different, the anxiety and despair is the same. Not to say it is an utterly hopeless film, it deals with these complex issues but it is, of course, never fully resolved. The ending is extremely dramatic as well, I imagine some viewers might be polarised by it...but I found it very refreshing. The sort of film I just love to see in the cinema.

That was indeed a good review. I just thought the conversations were so intelligent. Take the first one with the "save the nature guy". Both presenting very sober arguments, in a way none of them appears extreme in their own views. That movie was just great, and I had to rewind and add subs to better understand the delicate words they were putting in their mouths. Beautiful!

He's in the -A category. I like him as an actor but tends to "Keannu" some roles.

Are we talking Video-game A´s? Like in AAA and you think Ethan is a -A?

And could you give me an example when he goes full Keannu? I think he is one of the most well-known wooden actors. He is not a very good actor, but i still enjoy movies like John Wick.

I just don't see how he got with Uma ...

Nothing special about her and he could have had the world back then..

Some of his best work.

This is very interesting movie that I haven't thought about in a long time. Hawke used to really annoy me, mainly for the reasons already stated in the thread. I started to appreciate him more after I saw the After Sunset. Can't deny his talent.

Back