Ethan Hawke

He's moderately talented, but takes himself way too seriously and can come off like a douche. There was an interesting article about him in the NYT recently that casts a somewhat sympathetic light on that, though - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/28/movies/ethan-hawke-blaze-foley-first-reformed.html.

Same league as Gary Oldman Denzel Washington? No. Not even close. FWIW I'm not a Leo fan either. He decided to be a movie star instead of an actor somewhere along the way.

Denzel? Dude plays the same character in every single movie. An angry brotha with a chip on his shoulder.

I think he's a very good actor but will never be taken seriously as an elite actor cause of his good looks.

we should have a thread predicting DDL's next Oscar winning role.

I say he plays Osama Bin Laden.

Denzel? Dude plays the same character in every single movie. An angry brotha with a chip on his shoulder.
How dare you?!?!?
tenor.gif

First reformed was wild. Ethan Hawke has a movie out he directed called Blaze. It's a biopic on an underground country legend in the 80s. Apparently he was one of the greatest unknowns. Plus it's got amazing reviews.

I just don't see how he got with Uma ...

Nothing special about her and he could have had the world back then..
could have been the angle, but her ass looked amazing in the patio scene in be cool.

and he deserved better in brooklyn's finest. Yeah, he was a bit shitty for taking the money during the busts. But i didn't blame him for it.

I watched First Reformed (2018) this weekend and man was this movie good. This got me thinking of Ethan and how well he pulls of dialogue heavy movies. His work with Julie Delpy are one of my favourite triologies of any series, and movies I can watch and enjoy with female companion. I think he is one of our times best actors. He is in the same league as Daniel-Day Lewis, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. Sorry, but I think Leonardo di Caprio is great but not that great.

What do you think of Ethan Hawke?

vIyosqO.jpg

Rating: 9/10
Hella underrated, just saw predestination for the first time recently.

His movies aren't all great, but when he makes middling stuff, he can almost always be counted on to choose something with an interesting concept. He definitely doesn't just make a bunch of crap like John Cusack or Nicolas Cage. Most of what he makes, you can tell why he saw something in the project.

Predestination is a very good movie that went quite a bit under the radar.

He was pretty awesome in Point Break, "we're wasting time" was delivered with such conviction.

I think he's kind of a douche, and there is no way he's as talented as the actors mentioned in the OP. Leo buries him.

Ethan isn't a great actor but he's definitely underrated.

Ethan Hawke is the best. I modelled myself after his persona in the "Before..." movies as a young man.

Ryan Gosling reminds of him alot. He like to take the talking film but has better Action qualities to him than Hawke.

Super underrated. He takes chances with movies and does a solid job.

Back