Ethan Hawke

His movies aren't all great, but when he makes middling stuff, he can almost always be counted on to choose something with an interesting concept. He definitely doesn't just make a bunch of crap like John Cusack or Nicolas Cage. Most of what he makes, you can tell why he saw something in the project.

Predestination is a very good movie that went quite a bit under the radar.

Fair assessment

Looking through film credits
In a valley of violence was pretty fucking good, and a goodkill didn't get enough notice.
Does anyone dislike training day?

He was really good in Before the Devil Knows Your Dead. That movie also has Phillip Seymour Hoffman and a naked Marisa Tomei.

Sweet Jesus! So many I have forgot about and they just seem piling up. You know, great movies! If PSH was still alive, he would also be up there on my list of greatest actor.

EVM9KPK.jpg

8/10

Good observation, he is obviously a very complex/conflicted character.

The levitation here is a clear visual quotation/reference to Tarkovsky:

Yeah, I can see the inspiration from the visual GOAT. In my school days, I was studying alot of Tarkovsky and Yasujiro Ozu movies. You know, the time when the midformat was the real artistic way to present photos and films by professionals. That is why I think First Reformed is in many ways a celebration of the mid format.

I think he's a very good actor but will never be taken seriously as an elite actor cause of his good looks.

??

Ryan Gosling reminds of him alot. He like to take the talking film but has better Action qualities to him than Hawke.

Ryan Gosling is good, but IMO he is overrated. I think he is very wooden at times, and I would much rather compare Jake Gyllenhal to Ethan in regards of pure talent.

While we are at it. Here is my personal list.

AAA - Daniel Day Lewis

AA --- Ethan Hawke, Nic Cage, Russel Crowe, Gary Oldman, Christian Bale, Denzel Washington

A ----- Leonardo di Caprio, Choi-Min Sik, Javier Bardeem, Benicio del Toro, Jake Gyllenhal, Guy Pearce, Cillian Murphy

Last edited:
I watched First Reformed (2018) this weekend and man was this movie good. This got me thinking of Ethan and how well he pulls of dialogue heavy movies. His work with Julie Delpy are one of my favourite triologies of any series, and movies I can watch and enjoy with female companion. I think he is one of our times best actors. He is in the same league as Daniel-Day Lewis, Russel Crowe, Christian Bale, Gary Oldman and Denzel Washington. Sorry, but I think Leonardo di Caprio is great but not that great.

What do you think of Ethan Hawke?

vIyosqO.jpg

Rating: 9/10

He's a very good actor that has gained gravitas with age....but all those guys had huge gravitas in their early 30's. Hawke was still playing whiny Gen-X slackers at that age, when Bale was pulling off American Psycho or Denzel was pulling off Malcolm X or DDL was doing My Left Foot. Or when Crowe was pulling off The Insider.

There are levels to this game. Hawke only now, in his 50's, has the gravitas to do the kind of work all the other actors you mentioned could do in their late 20's and early 30's.

Give Hawke props. He's always been consistent....but he's always been obviously a level below that greatness tier. Ageing has helped a lot of good actors who were not quite great to do some of their finest work. But let's not go overboard.

Saying all that, he was incredibly underrated in Gattaca...his finest performance as a young man.

I came here to say I thought he was great in the Machinist but then I remembered that was Christian Bale.

<34>

He's a dedicated and talented actor who's just good looking enough to play movie star when he needs to. You get the sense that he could just do Shakespeare and Linklater movies forever and let that be his legacy. Then he goes and classes up genre films and plays talented second to bigger stars in their best movies.

He's an interesting case, because his popular movies are either vehicles for other actors, or bad movies he makes tolerable, so he's not really up for a lot of combined popular/critical appreciation the way the guys listed in the OP are. I guess underrated is a good word for it, but it he gets a lot of critical acclaim, so it's a little different.

He's a dedicated and talented actor who's just good looking enough to play movie star when he needs to. You get the sense that he could just do Shakespeare and Linklater movies forever and let that be his legacy. Then he goes and classes up genre films and plays talented second to bigger stars in their best movies.

He's an interesting case, because his popular movies are either vehicles for other actors, or bad movies he makes tolerable, so he's not really up for a lot of combined popular/critical appreciation the way the guys listed in the OP are. I guess underrated is a good word for it, but it he gets a lot of critical acclaim, so it's a little different.

This resonates well in my ears. Well put!

Interesting you mention both Shakespeare and Linklater, as I hold both very dear. You are so spot on. As I have friends doing theater, this interest has been a quite big part of my life when I go out to have fun. Some great stage acting coupled with a nice dinner. Can it be more nice? This is for me what life is about, to feast on some good culture.

Boyhood (2014) I think is one of this decades better movies, and 2 of my favourites are working together yet again. I think it´s so sweet when guys can have this symbiotic bromance and great siblings come out of it.

YYnWPar.jpg

9,5/10

Another guy I often compare with Ethan is David Tennant. He is a good example of an artist being equally good on stage and film. His role as Hamlet in Hamlet (2009) is a pure force of nature. I think I have seen this film 10 times. The dialouge...is just exquisite, but then again we are talking about the mighty Shakespeare, the influencer of the greatest artists throughout history. And Tennant is an expert in this subject and he is highly intellectual. The latest movie I saw with him was Bad Samaritan (2018) , a so so movie, but Tennant was really creepy.

FcJll1P.jpg

10/10

sDVyEyQ.jpg

5/10

Hawke's always going to be in my good books after Gattaca. Holy shit that film. Tears in my eyes just thinking about it

<DCrying>

Last edited:
I came here to say I thought he was great in the Machinist but then I remembered that was Christian Bale.

<34>
Well no one can deny he has been great as Dr Strange in the MCU so far.

This resonates well in my ears. Well put!

Interesting you mention both Shakespeare and Linklater, as I hold both very dear. You are so spot on. As I have friends doing theater, this interest has been a quite big part of my life when I go out to have fun. Some great stage acting coupled with a nice dinner. Can it be more nice? This is for me what life is about, to feast on some good culture.

Boyhood (2014) I think is one of this decades better movies, and 2 of my favourites are working together yet again. I think it´s so sweet when guys can have this symbiotic bromance and great siblings come out of it.

YYnWPar.jpg

9,5/10

Another guy I often compare with Ethan is David Tennant. He is a good example of an artist being equally good on stage and film. His role as Hamlet in Hamlet (2009) is a pure force of nature. I think I have seen this film 10 times. The dialouge...is just exquisite, but then again we are talking about the mighty Shakespeare, the influencer of the greatest artists throughout history. And Tennant is an expert in this subject and he is highly intellectual. The latest movie I saw with him was Bad Samaritan (2018) , a so so movie, but Tennant was really creepy.

FcJll1P.jpg

10/10

sDVyEyQ.jpg

5/10

I liked Boyhood (especially given how it was filmed) but man that kid was a p****. It got distracting because I wanted to punch him the face so many times.

First reformed was wild. Ethan Hawke has a movie out he directed called Blaze. It's a biopic on an underground country legend in the 80s. Apparently he was one of the greatest unknowns. Plus it's got amazing reviews.

Blaze Foley was a legitimate crazy person but he did make some decent and certainly interesting music. "If I Could Only Fly" is probably my favorite song of his. I don't know if any of you watch Mike Judge Presents: Tales From the Tour Bus on Cinemax but they did an episode on Blaze and it was great.

Also Daybreakers is another good Ethan Hawke film I haven't seen mentioned.

Blaze Foley was a legitimate crazy person but he did make some decent and certainly interesting music. "If I Could Only Fly" is probably my favorite song of his. I don't know if any of you watch Mike Judge Presents: Tales From the Tour Bus on Cinemax but they did an episode on Blaze and it was great.

Also Daybreakers is another good Ethan Hawke film I haven't seen mentioned.
I've only seen 3 of those episodes. I'll have to check the rest out. I knew outlaw country singers were crazy, but goddamn. It seems that they've all shot/killed somebody. The real OG thugs of music.

I've only seen 3 of those episodes. I'll have to check the rest out. I knew outlaw country singers were crazy, but goddamn. It seems that they've all shot/killed somebody. The real OG thugs of music.

Oh yeah most gangster rappers wish they were half as gangster as some country singers. The Johnny Paycheck episode was prolly my favorite. He was genuinely crazy too but also put out some truly great music. "She's All I Got" is one of my favorite songs ever and "Old Violin" is a deprsssing yet beautiful realization that you're not immortal and you're death isn't far off.

Ethan Hawke is obsessed with doing work that is great or helps him towards being great. I never got the impression that he was naturally gifted but his role in Boyhood was the accumulation of a lifetime of sweat and work. That role could have been played badly very easily. There was a lot of naunce in his role and Arquette's. If you ask me what I think about him, I think he is talented and feels the need to work. he doesn't get his pick of role and if he had to choose from doing nothing and a role that might be interesting, he will always work and take the role.

I put him in the same class as DiCaprio but DiCaprio always gets his picks of roles. Thinking about it, I could picture Hawke in every single role DiCaprio took. DiCaprio is like a boy version of Hawke.

First few posts dissing Leo.. Um, no. Dude has been great in everything.

Ethan is very good, and I've been a fan. Shit I think I saw explorers as a little kid and knew him since then.

First few posts dissing Leo.. Um, no. Dude has been great in everything.

Ethan is very good, and I've been a fan. Shit I think I saw explorers as a little kid and knew him since then.

Leo plays Leo. You have to go back to What is Eating Gilbert Grape for something where he isn't playing himself. Leo is like Nicholson in this regard.

Back