Eubank Jr to replace George Groves in World Boxing Super Series Final

aries

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I saw this news a week ago but thought of it today as I saw nobody had mentioned it. Seems like George Groves has just 10 day to declare he's fit to continue to the final which could be put back to July or Eubank Jr will be brought in as his replacement to fight Callum Smith in the final. I for one really hope that George's shoulder gets better soon and we get the final we deserve.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/exc...o-replace-george-groves-says-kalle-sauerland/

wtf! eubum gets destroyed in 6. poor groves winning this tournament would be the best for his career. how much time does he have to heal? how sad is that!

WBSS Tourney is bigger than groves. If it was a one off then sure push back the final.

But it's not so what other choice do they have. They have to keep the tournies integrity.

Edit: I do dislike the replacement seeing as he's already lost.

I saw this news a week ago but thought of it today as I saw nobody had mentioned it. Seems like George Groves has just 10 day to declare he's fit to continue to the final which could be put back to July or Eubank Jr will be brought in as his replacement to fight Callum Smith in the final. I for one really hope that George's shoulder gets better soon and we get the final we deserve.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/exc...o-replace-george-groves-says-kalle-sauerland/

Same as that. He’s easily been the best in the tournament and is the only belt holder so I think it devalues it a bit. Either way smith vs groves or smith vs Eubank are both good fights

Same as that. He’s easily been the best in the tournament and is the only belt holder so I think it devalues it a bit. Either way smith vs groves or smith vs Eubank are both good fights
Yeah definitely devalued, the best guy doesn't get to fight for the final title. Smith vs. Eubank wouldn't be a bad match. I'd even give Chris a chance of beating Smith.

Yeah definitely devalued, the best guy doesn't get to fight for the final title. Smith vs. Eubank wouldn't be a bad match. I'd even give Chris a chance of beating Smith.

I think its a pickem. I called it badly wrong with Groves vs Eubank, but George showed discipline that Id never seen before in that fight
Either way Im far more excited about Gassiev vs Usyk

I think its a pickem. I called it badly wrong with Groves vs Eubank, but George showed discipline that Id never seen before in that fight
Either way Im far more excited about Gassiev vs Usyk
Oh yeah Gassiev vs. Usyk is the fight of the tournament and maybe of this year. Can't wait!

Oh yeah Gassiev vs. Usyk is the fight of the tournament and maybe of this year. Can't wait!
Gassiev impressed the hell out of me getting through Dorticos with such composure.

Gassiev impressed the hell out of me getting through Dorticos with such composure.

Same as that. He was pretty much faultless through the whole fight. I’m not confident enough to pick a winner after watching the semis. I had usyk clearly winning this before it started though

What a joke. For me, you keep the true finalists unless Groves is forced to retire because of the injury.

Start the next tourney and wait as long as it takes IMO.

Yeah Gassiev was so measured and effective with his short medium range work, it just seemed like he would inevitably get to Dorticos no matter what. And he got to him well.

Same as that. He was pretty much faultless through the whole fight. I’m not confident enough to pick a winner after watching the semis. I had usyk clearly winning this before it started though

I had Usyk as well to take this, but now? Gassiev hit real hard and while Usyk can box pretty mobile, he can sometimes get drawn into exchanges. If he gets lulled into exchanges with Gassiev then I think Gassiev is going to come out the winner with a stoppage. Though we don't know how good Usyk's chin is.

Exactly. Before the tourney, Usyk looked the favorite over anyone, but now this fight looks 50/50 to me, both these men are serious business. But, tbh in the previous 2 rounds Gassiev impressed me more.

What a joke. For me, you keep the true finalists unless Groves is forced to retire because of the injury.

Start the next tourney and wait as long as it takes IMO.
Yeah I am a little peeved if they do replace him, when they could have waited say until August. I guess they have invested time and money in the way it's set up so don't want to have to reschedule by an extra month on top of the month they're saying they're going to give him. But it's the final, the very last fight. We aren't going to effect any of the other competitors.

Another boxing tournament fail.

Exactly. Before the tourney, Usyk looked the favorite over anyone, but now this fight looks 50/50 to me, both these men are serious business. But, tbh in the previous 2 rounds Gassiev impressed me more.

Agree, not seen much of him before the tournement but he has been brilliant, Big fan of both guys now and honestly don’t care who wins.
I’d love bellew to step down and challenge the winner so I can see him knocked out again. He should’ve been in this as wbc champ, rather than cashing in against a shot old fighter

The mess that the SMW tournament has become reminds us how incredibly fortunate we were to see the CW version unfold smoothly.

I'm hoping for Smith to win and then fight Grove after just to settle it.

The mess that the SMW tournament has become reminds us how incredibly fortunate we were to see the CW version unfold smoothly.
This is why promotions are wary of doing this kimd of tourney format. It's good if it goes off without injury or people pulling out. Big risk though.

Back