Ever had those times when amateurs/nonfighters shake your rhythm?

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Some people have attested to saying that sometimes it's those uber beginners, non fighter types, or complete amateur fighters who never even fought before that create problems for more experienced fighters. Reasons commonly stated are because they have irregular, strange rhythm, their form is wild and all over the place, and it therefore caters to the unexpected and difficult to read. Sometimes seasoned fighters get used to the organized form and control of other skilled fighters, and therefore they are in the loop with each other's rhythm and feel. Have you ever had like a beginner or non fighter amateurish fighter person punch or kick at you? Even though you are a trained fighter, it's strange to sometimes feel like something's off and be wary of this wild opponent. Why is it and can it be absorbed into a seasoned fighter's context, without the expense of lowering the seasoned fighter's skill?

Well last night when I did a no gi class, there was this new guy who was going really crazy in rolling and he was moving at a really face pace so I couldn't tap him out or anything, but I did get some good sweeps on him (i still need to brush up on a lot of things in bjj since i hadn't trained grappling for 3 years i did in NYC a little bit for like 1 day but I mostly trained striking).

When I spar with some fighters who are smaller than me, I usually use my reach and move around them a lot. And sometimes I'll just slip some punches, and just kick them in the body. Some other times when I spar with female fighters (even girls who have fought, when I haven't), I just treat them like amateurs (which they are really but like they've never fought) and just use my strength and clinch with them and everything.

Hopefully that's a valid response, I did not understand your question as well. But I answered it as much as I could.

Happens to me quite often when i spar, but not with completely beginners. Usually the people I have a bit of problem understanding their rhythm and feints etc, are below my level, but not completely noobs. I need to play defense a bit, adapt a slower rhythm, let my mind "absorb" the details of their style etc, then is all good. I can spar at their level with both our safety assured.

I also have that problem with them in partner drills. For example when you got to react to a strike, i often read some of their movements as the beginning of the strike and react on it, but in fact it was nothing. I'm not sure about it, but it's like some of them have a small tell before the strike, that my mind reads as the strike itself... Maybe they move their shoulder before throwing a punch, or repositioning their feet before the kick ... I dont really know...

Sometimes because they are very spazzy and their rhythm is off; Since you're used to the rhythm of people who "train", it throws you off. It essentially becomes an unknown experience as you've been conditioning your head to deal with certain tactics and techniques.

Happens in fights sometimes too, you get used to dealing with crafty strikers, and come across someone who wings overhands over and over, it throws you off sometimes.

I had a TKD sparring match before vs a newbie (I was a yellow at that time).

He was so awkward and spazzy that I couldnt get a read, but his hits were so weak that I didnt bother setting up a guard.

He won.

Happens to me quite often when i spar, but not with completely beginners. Usually the people I have a bit of problem understanding their rhythm and feints etc, are below my level, but not completely noobs. I need to play defense a bit, adapt a slower rhythm, let my mind "absorb" the details of their style etc, then is all good. I can spar at their level with both our safety assured.

I also have that problem with them in partner drills. For example when you got to react to a strike, i often read some of their movements as the beginning of the strike and react on it, but in fact it was nothing. I'm not sure about it, but it's like some of them have a small tell before the strike, that my mind reads as the strike itself... Maybe they move their shoulder before throwing a punch, or repositioning their feet before the kick ... I dont really know...

Same. Hard to discern the signal from the noise.

I'm a brawler most of the time, so it's hard to shake my rythm.

I'm not trying to be a dick but if you get your rythm interrupted by unskilled opponents then you need more experience.

Yes, untrained people move in directions that can be unexpected, fortunately their unorthodox movement will almost always compromise their balance, making counters almost impossible to screw up.

I'm not trying to be a dick but if you get your rythm interrupted by unskilled opponents then you need more experience.

Yes, untrained people move in directions that can be unexpected, fortunately their unorthodox movement will almost always compromise their balance, making counters almost impossible to screw up.

I believe it's more of you need to adjust, but everybody has there own opinion on it. It doesn't take another month or so to adjust to there style.

Back