Ever have to give up a hobby?

Grassshoppa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Ever have to give up a hobby or something you really enjoy due to an injury, money, time, family, etc.? What was it and were you able to let it go?

Yep. I used to play in roller hockey leagues (there’s not much ice hockey in California). I dislocated my shoulder and it kept getting dislocated doing lighter sports like playing basketball, and eventually started dislocating or at least subluxing when I would sneeze really hard. I had to quit hockey and everything else.

Then drinking was my hobby. Turned out, I had SVT and had to stop that too.

cars. i loved to fix up cars, work on cars, talk cars but then life hit me and bills, school debt, etc. i miss it and then i realize how much i've saved and then i don't.

Gave up grappling and boxing because of an injury. It was a large part of my identity, and I haven't filled up that hole yet. It sucked finding out that my coaches were only friendly with me because I was paying monthly fees. As soon as I stopped paying, I became invisible.

Last edited:
Yea, I had to give up a couple hobbies. The constant bleaching out red spots out of my pants, the persistent smell that won't get out of my trunk, the frequent 2AM trips to Home Depot, all the money I spent bribing neighbors.

Some hobbies just cost too much and God are they hard to give up.

<mma1>

Warhammer 40k modeling. Because I needed to spend that money on whiskey and cigarettes

a lot of stuff. Girlfriends and home ownership are huge hobby killers.
I used to play rugby and do a lot more mma. Now i just do jits and sporadically work striking. I still have quite a few hobbies but it is really hard to make time

Not really no, its more been a case of certain hobbies gradually fading away, Judo early in life, net gaming sometime latter although I turned photography into a career.

Skateboarding because I sucked. Thought of picking up a board to ollie some shit but I'm too scared and decrepit now.

Yeah man. I had to give up dating once I got hitched, can you believe that? And stalking. Ain't got no time for that any more either.

Boxing, although it was much more than a hobby. I can still train but can't fight. I still enjoy training and watching fights but the fire is gone at this point. I used to think to think if I can't box there would be no point in living.

Guitar, cause I fuckin' suck at it.

Although I might just give it another go.

Ever have to give up a hobby or something you really enjoy due to an injury?

Injury?
Stamp collecting and chess have always brought me peace. No, never had to give that up. Safe, with no injuries.
Yeah, I also did BJJ, cars (engine), and skateboarding in the past. Getting too old for some of that stuff now.
What are you planning to give up TS?

Ever have to give up a hobby or something you really enjoy due to an injury, money, time, family, etc.? What was it and were you able to let it go?

Had to give up alot when I became an over-the-road truck driver in 2014. But I'm quitting at the end of next year for a regional trucking job.

I'm looking forward to reconnecting with friends, getting back to the gym, redevelop a social life, and catch up on an entire generation of console games. (Playstation 4).

Teaching / training self defence.

I've been training in martial arts since I was 12 and I'm 46 now. I've collected a few injuries over the years and took a break just over 2 years ago.

About the same time my son started playing rugby. He's good. So when he's playing I watch . That means there's little time for training anymore.

That said I'm still tight with 2 guys I taught and we hang out every month or 2..

Gave up all my weight training this year and cancelled my gym membership

Having to work weekends combined with having a 2nd child has took over but it's been tough on me I won't lie
And I'm already wearing Medium Abercrombie t shirts

Fml

Boxing.

Fractured my wrist and it took me a whole year to let it heal up since I kept on training and re injuring it. That and one day I just was like, "Fuck this getting hit shit". Haven't sparred or trained anything boxing related since.

I still enjoy and follow the sport but all the gym training and sparring is in the past and I'm happy to leave it there. I still run and do body weight exercises though, that's good enough for me.

Gave up grappling and boxing because of an injury. It was a large part of my identity, and I haven't filled up that whole yet. It sucked finding out that my coaches were only friendly with me because I was paying monthly fees. As soon as I stopped paying, I became invisible.
I never ever looked on the guys I rolled and sparred with as friends, more acquaintances, I was more surprised how little I had in common with my ''real'' friends once I gave up the booze, and how quickly I drifted away from them.

Back