Ever heard of Gongkwon Yusul? Korean JiuJitsu -videos-

okay we have a bit of a break in arguing.... lets go on into more technique specifics..

I WENT TO GKYS SEMINAR JUNE THIS YEAR (they invite the Korean Grandmaster Kang)

couple of things I need to take note:

1. the seminar was all-day (including sparring etc)
2. striking? not so much, I get to spar with some of the brown belt students. just ok. I almost nail the guy on the jaw, never spar with such rules before.
3. grappling? some students are struggling to apply a good armbar. I am a white belt BJJ, but my blue belt fren does a lot tighter and better armbar than their brown belts.
4. non-members werent allowed to have a roll with any of their students. So I just watched the brown belts spar. IMO it was the sloppiest grappling ever. brown belts, but they pass guard straight to mount so easily, and kept on getting swept numerous times, like they have no base or control whatsoever. I even saw the black belt in side control then for no reason let himself pinned under north-south position, instead of going for guard.the guy on top doesnt have much control either, look a little like two guys doing Yoga.
5. personally, i am not impressed. and they have this instructors program. I met one of them last yer and he had red belt, by June he's a black belt/instructor

thats just my opinion.my background (blak belt tkd, 3 years muay thai, some boxing & sanshou, white belt bjj)
Ah. This sounds like a more balanced, unbiased opinion from someone who has actually BEEN there.

Bringing up a very old thread.

I believe Willie Nelson is a 5th degree blackbelt in this style, so I'm good with it...lol. Willie is the man!

On the real though, this art is great in that it integrates a lot of components that are needed in order to truly defend yourself. It appears it covers striking, blocking, throws, grappling etc. With that said, I believe the idea of this art is self-defense, not MMA. Students are training to defend themselves against average Joe's, not UFC champions. As well, they aren't posturing to be the master of any particular skill but more of a jack of all trades. As a former law enforcement officer who has been in plenty of fights and broken up plenty in my day, I believe a well rounded system like this would serve a purpose.

As for rank. Koreans are quick to hand out blackbelts. Thing is, at 4th degree they put the breaks on big time in most their arts. As well, Koreans also will give black belts to kids all day long but they call them Poom belts versus Dan belts...once a kid turns a certain age, they convert to a regular belt. I say all this because in America we lose sleep on how fast Koreans get to black belt but the reality is Koreans themselves don' give a rat ass until 4th degree. At 4th, they start looking at you seriously but you'll prob wait 6 to 8 years before 5th. This style is no different. There blackbelts may suck at first but if they hang around until 3rd or 4th (when it counts to Koreans) they will have tons of experience.

For the record, I am a 5th degree ITF, 1st degree WTF, 3rd degree HKD, and BJJ blue. I know plenty of Hapkido and Yudo blackbelts at 4th degree that can grapple well. I will admit though, they focus more on throws than ground work. I think this style does that too.

If you are looking for prestige and effectiveness right now, BJJ, hands down. Doesn't mean other arts aren't legit or valuable though. Hell, people have been practicing other arts for over 2000 years. They work plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back