Ever sucked at your job?

I was lucky enough to be able to find jobs that I could do well for my entire working career.

Yea at cinemark my first job ever. I was to slow and people were always telling me I was to slow. I just wasn't willing to move any faster then I was. One time the manager wrote everyone up for us being to slow. When I got chastised for playing in the arcade room during my break I quit.

i have faked it until I make it in every job I have ever had.

Never I'm always determined to be better at a job improve its like an obsession. I've had jobs where I suck but for a very short period of time

Yeah, my first job when I was 15 years old (started just after my 15th birthday). I was a cashier at a really busy department store. Standing at a register for 8 hours, getting price checks, taking credit cards using the manual slider (way before the internet and digital scanners), looking over checks, and handling thousands of dollars in cash was a little over my head sometimes.

I thought I was doing good though. At that job, they took money from your drop and didn't count it in front of you. They claimed one day, after about 6 months on the job, I was under like $125 dollars and let me go. I still think they miscounted a drop because I didn't steal anything and I wouldn't mess up that much. Sure, maybe I gave someone back an extra $10 or something once, but not $125.

But the job sucked, so I didn't care. I've been good at every other job.

My first job when I came to Canada was on a drilling rig. And this was a shitty, homemade drilling rig for a small company that would hire whoever couldn't get hired for the big companies because of their drug testing. Anyway I stunk the place up. I was fat and out of shape, and because of the shitty rig breaking down we'd often be pulling 30+ hour shifts. No one else felt the exhaustion because they were fucken crackheads. But I'd be shattered and I couldn't get into the routine because of it, always forgetting steps and making mistakes. It was pretty humiliating. Anyway after a while during a rig move I just drove off and didn't go back, which was kind of a shitty thing to do but screw those guys.

Since I didn't do drugs I just went to work for one of the bigger companies and shit was way better

I was demoted after four months as an ID administrator.

I worked in a small office with four women and one other man.

We had to input details of new employees who needed security IDs to pass through high security areas onto excel spreadsheets, gather their five year employment references, criminal record checks, ID photos etc, have them sign security agreements, send packs to business support and then arrange appointments for cleared IDs to be picked up.

Target was ten a week and the best I managed was four a couple of times. Worst was two.

It was quite easy when the applicants history was simple and all of the referees responded quickly. A lot of them couldn’t do it right however, or took days or weeks to respond. Often the applicants themselves were unresponsive, or responsive but didn’t do what I asked. I didn’t escalate to my manager enough. Overseas checks can also be complicated because there may be an issue with the company and there is nothing like Companies House on an HMRC five-year history to go by. One person however, I just flat out forgot about for a month. He said that I had given up on him, so he was struck off after telling my manager to shove the job.

I was able to get good applicants through in fast time but I wasn’t good enough with problematic applicants or referees, which I had a lot of. Last person I got was a good friend who had four fine years in England, but worked a work scheme in Amsterdam where he was paid for by the government. He didn’t describe it as a work scheme until after a series of stressful conversations and I ended up scanning about three hundred pages of a Dutch bank statement book and typing a file note. His was the last ID that I sent off for and got, on the day of my demotion.

Final straw was me having a series of panic attacks at a time where we had won another contract. I had one and went home because I couldn’t breathe properly, had one the day after so I went to A&E because I thought that it was more serious, then was medically written off after having one more the morning after. The Monday after, I was told respectfully that it wasn’t working out and that I was offered a position that was lower than what I was doing, but higher than what I was before. I checked it out, liked it, but the schedule was directly opposite my girlfriends, so I chose to go back to my old job.

The department actually had a very high turnover rate. I took over from somebody else who had been demoted and the man was demoted a few weeks before I was.

I wasn’t totally inept and did get ideal candidates through, but I wasn’t a good fit for that job. I don’t like the office environment at all, I prefer to be physically active and I hate chasing people. I was offered a £21.000 per annum contract with another company a few months after, but I turned it down.

No. However I did have a regional manager dislike me and try to push me out even though I was good at my job because I didn't play his games. Was a retail manager for a large company. Within 3 years I turned 3 stores from seriously under performing to being top performers in all KPIs. But they were ridiculously bureaucratic, and wanted me to punish a member of staff for missing 1 of his 7 KPIs. I told him it was ridiculous that they wanted me to punish someone who was hitting 6/7 and that is hardy surprising that his stores are failing and he can't retain any good staff.

After that he did things like have someone hide the store safe keys and try to pin it on me. Magically they reappeared in an obvious place when I threatened to seek legal advice.

Anyway, long since left them and it seems they're holding on by a thread.

I didn't start out sucking at retail commissioned sales but I got there pretty damned quick. I guess there's only so long you can fake enjoying dealing with the general public by busting your ass for peanuts.

Fortunately the chain went out of business so I guess I got my revenge.

Summer after my freshman year in college I worked with a crew that did siding on barns/garages..I was not overly handy but talked my way into it thinking "I'll pick it up fast". Well everyone else was experienced and I was the weak link the entire time, I sucked at it and still think back and wonder what I was thinking?

No but ive had some jobs i didnt give a shit about

The work has never been an issue. Getting along with and respecting higher ups has always been the problem.

No but I can't say I've ever done anything that's especially difficult.

I've definitely got to the point with jobs where I don't give a shit and start to fuck off.

I didn't start out sucking at retail commissioned sales but I got there pretty damned quick. I guess there's only so long you can fake enjoying dealing with the general public by busting your ass for peanuts.

Reminds me of the time my former employer moved me from the back end to the customer facing side of the operation. I'm grouchy and hate dealing with the general public, let's just say it didn't take very long for my hate to start showing.

Never.

I suck at sherdog though, which is almost like a second job. Does that count?

My first skilled trade job. I kept Fucking things up and other people had to fix them. I thought I sucked ass and it was hard to keep pushing knowing someone from an earlier shift was going to come up and tell me about all this that I fucked up that they had to fix.

Eventually I got better and only after seeing new hire after new hire quit after only a few weeks on the job did I realize how hard that job actually was.

Worked for that company for 3 years and they never hired one person after me that stuck around for more than a few weeks.

I destroyed a brand new 60hp electric motor (about $7000) because I put the pulley on wrong. Luckily I was still an apprentice so I didn't get in trouble.

Last edited:
Yes. Back when I was 17 years old and tried my hand at plastering. I always thought it seemed like an easy job as far as trades go, just mix some shit and apply it evenly on to the wall. Problem was, I could NEVER master the proper technique of applying it to the walls, I just couldn't pick it up. After the first 5 months, I realised I absolutely sucked at plastering and quit. I'm glad I did because the hours were rough and my co workers were assholes, it was a family business and I was the odd one out. The boss was sad to see me go because they still needed a labourer, but I wasn't prepared to spend more time there being miserable every day with a bunch of people that I didn't get along with. The whole experience put me off trade jobs in general.

Now I'm a hospital coordinator for a certain department and earn great money, and more importantly - I'm actually good at it.

When I was younger I failed at a bunch of jobs because I was uninterested in them, but always done well at what interests me.

I fucked up an order of like 100 bread rolls at a bakery that was being made for the bosses football team. Messed up the ingredient ratios or something and they were doughy to the point of being inedible.

Why you leave the apprentice on his first week to do such a thing I don't know.

What else did I fuck up?

High school placed me in work experience one day a week at a computer repair shop. I'm a good programmer, but not much good with hardware. I think I plugged an audio cable into something it wasn't meant to go into and when I hit power the cable started glowing and smoking. Fried a harddrives with "important bank info" on another computer. I prefer to spin that one in the positive and say I taught them the value of backing up "important bank information".

First job as a land surveyor, I never learned the basics and never studied, plus my boss was terrible at imparting knowledge, so I thought it was much more complex than it was and fucked up a lot of basic things. Worst was ruining a whole day of traversing in the hot Australian summer sun by realising at the end that I was meant to be writing certain numbers down throughout the day.

It set in when we got back to the car and the boss flipped through my field book and looked at me with horror asking "where are your field notes?".

Many others, such is the tale of an uneducated fool trying to move up in the world.

Back