Every Declaration of War

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
"The Law of War and Peace argued that if individuals have rights that can be defended through courts, then nations have rights that can be defended through war because there was no world court."

"As a consequence, nations have felt at liberty for four centuries to justify their bellicosity through 'war manifestos,' legal statements outlining their 'just causes' for 'just wars.'"

“I was just standing there, minding my own business, when he threatened me. I had no choice but to defend myself by attacking him.”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-we-agree-to-outlaw-war-mdash-again/

Interesting Reddit level forum post by Michael Shermer. Never liked the guy.

I think it's a peculiar idea. I don't know that I agree that moralizing wars made them easier. The newer methods of economic sanctions seem more like a tactic that technology made available. If a million people die due to starvation in NK because of economic sanctions, should I feel better about it than if we killed them directly through war? I don't think so. I don't even think it's easier to live with since I'm not a part of the 1% who shoulder all the burden.

Most people don't have empathy for enemy states. I think that moralizing war is something we do after, to give context for our feelings. I don't think it's the cause of war.

Last edited:
If a million people die due to starvation in NK because of economic sanctions, should I feel better about it than if we killed them directly through war? I don't think so.

No morally consistent person would think so. Shermer is a libertarian hack on this issue.

Though in his case, given that he believes human beings are biological robots whose apparent consciousness and capacity for self-reflection is but a chemically induced illusion, his lack of concern over an intentional infliction of human misery and death is sort of understandable.

No morally consistent person would think so. Shermer is a libertarian hack on this issue.

Though in his case, given that he believes human beings are biological robots whose apparent consciousness and capacity for self-reflection is but a chemically induced illusion, his lack of concern over an intentional infliction of human misery and death is sort of understandable.

I’m with you.

I’m personally offended by CNNs fear mongering today. NK launched another missile, and were suppose to quake in our boots so that trump can have his nuclear war.

I’m with you.

I’m personally offended by CNNs fear mongering today. NK launched another missile, and were suppose to quake in our boots so that trump can have his nuclear war.

I'm more troubled by the MSM's failure to talk about the impact of what amount to genocidal economic sanctions.

The fact is, the fat little psychopathic cult leader who runs NK isn't missing a single gourmet meal no matter what the US does with its money. While the average North Korean citizen (who is absolutely powerless to stop Kim) has to dig through feces to try and find kernels of corn with which to feed their starving children.

Back