"Everything is about to change"

*looks around, sees nothing has changed, goes back to normal life*

So his major point was, speed work is good? Wow, I feel like it's a revelation.
if this routine makes me look like this guy, then I am all for it

image010.jpg

What, constipated?

I somewhat retract my earlier criticism. This article had one thing going for it:

fbc64-fighter.jpg

If anyone can provide more information on this one redeeming feature from that article, I would appreciate it. :)

She is a woman, and has a vaginea.

Moving on, this is fucking old news. It's the reason why training heavy singles makes your CNS more efficient in moving weight. Anyway, I'm off to browse through their female figure models...

First, the practical tip:

Focus on how fast you can lift a load. Once the speed slows down, terminate the set.

so when it gets difficult i should quit? i did that for years and it got me nowhere...

Good article, but its info thats been around for a while.

Yeah, as opposed to his revolutionary "MMA fighters must squat three times their bodyweight" article. He even wrote about this shit in his "Lift fast, get big" article years ago and Christian Thibedeau wrote about stopping sets when speed drops a month or two ago. Everytime I read T-Nation anymore it seems like same shit presented over and over again in a more pompous and contrived manner.

Weight Lifters have used bar speed as the determining factor in reps and weight for 30 years. This guy hardly had an epiphany of epic proportions

I think the point he is trying to get us to understand, without telling us is that we need to shorten our sets. He begins the article by saying that we should ovoid going to failure on every set. This is a commonly held idea. However, failure in this case has to do with the larger, faster motor units. So, when a lifter continues to put up reps after he has slowed down, the large motor units have become fatigued, even though the lifter has not gone to "failure". Therefore, the bottom line here is to put up heavy weight with fast paced sets, both eccentric and concentric. But, make sure to stop when your pace slows down. This enables you to work the large motor unit optimally without going to failure in every set.

That's what I got from doing a quick read through of the article.

He basically gave a long winded explanation of the "corridor" theory of motor units

I think he's confused.

In a lift, the the smallest, slowest motors are recruited first. However, it takes less than a second for the big boys to fire.

Your big boys fire on the first couple of lifts, then are worn out. The last rep usually has less big boys and more small boys, which is why you get more hypertrophy but less strength gains from doing all those extra reps.

So to clears things up: Do low reps with high weight. This avoids unnecessary hypertrophy, and allows you to recover more quickly.

Tada. Mystery Solved, where's my medal?

Lift heavy, lift explosively and lift compound!

Back