evolution of mma shorts

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
we first had tight shorts like these

then board shorts became popular around 2005 from 2006-2008 i never saw anyone in ufc wearing vale tudo shorts then bad boy came back in 2009 and valetudos came back for a little bit but they wernt the same they were longer cut

then dominic cruz/aldo started to wear shorter board shorts which seem to be the new thing today and anderson wearing long valetudo shorts

nowadays it seems guys only like long valetduo shorts that go to the knee and short board shorts tbh i dont mind the short board shorts but the long valetudo shorts look ugly and dont feel near as comfortable its sad that they dont make valetudo shorts like they use to it would save them money using less fabric lol dying to find a pair cut like in the pic i posted

This post gives the effect of joining a group of people in the middle of what would otherwise appear to be an invigorating conversation.

Except there are no other people. And no conversation.

then board shorts became popular around 2005 from 2006-2008 i never saw anyone in ufc wearing vale tudo shorts then bad boy came back in 2009 and valetudos came back for a little bit but they wernt the same they were longer cut

then dominic cruz/aldo started to wear shorter board shorts which seem to be the new thing today and anderson wearing long valetudo shorts

nowadays it seems guys only like long valetduo shorts that go to the knee and short board shorts tbh i dont mind the short board shorts but the long valetudo shorts look ugly and dont feel near as comfortable its sad that they dont make valetudo shorts like they use to it would save them money using less fabric lol dying to find a pair cut like in the pic i posted

MMA guys typically like to wear shorts past the knee, because they want to be "cool" with their big shorts, just like how most people dont wear above the knee shorts in public.

Vale Tudo shots are pretty much just compression shorts.

The new style of short board shorts are pretty cool. It seems they are kind of a combination of MMA board short, and muay thai short. They look like MMA shorts, but have a muay thai short cut. Seems the MMA bros finally figured it out that those below the knee shorts arent such a great idea during a fight. They still gotta be board shorts though.

2f643f49-62d9-488f-8f5d-faacd3a94cc5_1.a7785c7f9bd0d23bc19d14d92c01e94c.jpeg

mma_sports_shorts.jpg

I dont understand why board shorts became an MMA thing though. How did that originally happen? Board shorts are for surfing. How did surf shorts, become MMA shorts? Is it because all the surfer bros became mma bros once they started training UFC?

I think for MMA, due to the grappling, Vale Tudo shorts make the most sense.

MMA is way too american for muay thai shorts to ever catch on.

MMA guys typically like to wear shorts past the knee, because they want to be "cool" with their big shorts, just like how most people dont wear above the knee shorts in public.

Vale Tudo shots are pretty much just compression shorts.

The new style of short board shorts are pretty cool. It seems they are kind of a combination of MMA board short, and muay thai short. They look like MMA shorts, but have a muay thai short cut. Seems the MMA bros finally figured it out that those below the knee shorts arent such a great idea during a fight. They still gotta be board shorts though.

2f643f49-62d9-488f-8f5d-faacd3a94cc5_1.a7785c7f9bd0d23bc19d14d92c01e94c.jpeg

mma_sports_shorts.jpg

I dont understand why board shorts became an MMA thing though. How did that originally happen? Board shorts are for surfing. How did surf shorts, become MMA shorts? Is it because all the surfer bros became mma bros once they started training UFC?

I think for MMA, due to the grappling, Vale Tudo shorts make the most sense.

MMA is way too american for muay thai shorts to ever catch on.
Board shorts ended up in MMA I think cause they're usually cheap and pre-Reebok deal and still outside the UFC there is a HUGE amount of surface area for sponsorship patches and shit.

Remember the reasons why everyone wore VT shorts in the very early days... Grabbing shorts was very much legal. Once that was made against the rules, board shorts came into vogue because, well people felt more comfortable.

Just above the knee is a good length. There were a few lol'worthy fights that I remember (like a few Kocheck fights) where fighters spent time continuously pulled up the hem or rolling the waistbands up to get the hems up.

I've got a few pairs of longer past the knee shorts that I roll in occasionally. They're alright. It's just shorts and training at the end of the day

I've got a pair of Fairtex VT shorts stashed somewhere. I always wanted a pair of old school Bad Boy VT shorts (think Vitor back in the very early days). Even though I should very much not be seen wearing them in public

board shorts were a brazilian thing i think same with vale tudo shrots on beach of rio guys either surfed with speedos or board shorts id think so that translated to mma i find it funny though how things switched into vale tudo shorts now are as long as board shorts use to be and board shorts now are as sort as vale tudo shorts lol wtf

board shorts were a brazilian thing i think same with vale tudo shrots on beach of rio guys either surfed with speedos or board shorts id think so that translated to mma i find it funny though how things switched into vale tudo shorts now are as long as board shorts use to be and board shorts now are as sort as vale tudo shorts lol wtf
i find it so strange that we dont have any proswearing themlike wand brand too wanderlei had his own rband of shorts which were awesome looking

we are at a strange time in mma now with reebok only small business amazon companies are making mma shorts today no big bad boy sprawl tapout companies anymore its funny watching bellator seeing guys wearing 20 dollar cheap amazon shorts

Board shorts ended up in MMA I think cause they're usually cheap and pre-Reebok deal and still outside the UFC there is a HUGE amount of surface area for sponsorship patches and shit.

yeah but why board shorts. why not rugby shorts, or soccer shorts, or basketball shorts. Doesnt make any sense, somehow surf shorts, became MMA shorts.

I've got a pair of Fairtex VT shorts stashed somewhere. I always wanted a pair of old school Bad Boy VT shorts (think Vitor back in the very early days). Even though I should very much not be seen wearing them in public

lol, my ass is watching you. hahaha.

badboy seems to have really fallen off. Tapout and affliction have died off too. I really dont know what the popular MMA brand is now....maybe venum?

reeboks muay thai shorts are ugly as fuck

epic fail

reebok-combat-muay-thai-shorts-grey-3.jpg

Those high slit shorts are the stupidest.

i find it so strange that we dont have any proswearing themlike wand brand too wanderlei had his own rband of shorts which were awesome looking

we are at a strange time in mma now with reebok only small business amazon companies are making mma shorts today no big bad boy sprawl tapout companies anymore its funny watching bellator seeing guys wearing 20 dollar cheap amazon shorts

Dethrone makes vale tudo shorts that Conor McGregor wears. Some fighters only wear vale tudo shorts like GSP etc.

I don’t get the board shorts as they’re not great for high kicks.

Reebok makes the ugliest gear for mma. Even their t shirts are designed by some employees kid doing an internship.

Nike for some weird reason has compression gear with the label Nike Combat and it has nothing to do with boxing, mma, etc it seems. Maybe I’m wrong.

I love the Chute Boxe shorts. Bad Boy still makes their shorts. I wish they made one without the eyes on the rear.

yeah reebok valetudo shorts r paper thin that look just like compression shorts companies r getting cheap trying to not give good thick material jaco was the last brand of good shorts

ye

badboy seems to have really fallen off. Tapout and affliction have died off too. I really dont know what the popular MMA brand is now....maybe venum?
yeha venum i guess and they arnt even big household name its sad ufc killed gear companies sadly u never see guys with mma shirts today like u did 10 years ago this is veyr bad for the future of the sport i feel its sad companies dont make custom fight shorts for fighters that u can buy like badboy use to do

Reebok makes the ugliest gear for mma. Even their t shirts are designed by some employees kid doing an internship.

Nike for some weird reason has compression gear with the label Nike Combat and it has nothing to do with boxing, mma, etc it seems. Maybe I’m wrong.

I love the Chute Boxe shorts. Bad Boy still makes their shorts. I wish they made one without the eyes on the rear.
yeah but bad boys shorts they make arnt the same as they sue to be they almost come to the knee they arnt the same material structure either but they do have a new kind they made months back that look shorter i have not tried them personally to be able to say how good they are

yeah but why board shorts. why not rugby shorts, or soccer shorts, or basketball shorts. Doesnt make any sense, somehow surf shorts, became MMA shorts.
They’re durable.

I don’t know how many basketball shorts have been destroyed grappling or the elastic has gotten looser than Bonnie Rotten’s asshole.

Board shorts stand up to wear and tear AND the elastic doesn’t wear out as quick.

Affliction never really made shorts or training gear from what I remember. Just a lot of questionable t-shirts. I own quite a few of them and still wear them though.. As questionable as skulls etc are, they are super comfy shirts.

I wouldn't say died off, but most of the brands had to change business models and are very much out of the limelight due to the UFC Reebok deal and prior to that, the "brand tax". Most companies just weren't in the space to be paying the amounts rumoured to be asked for in order to pay fighters more to have them wear their gear. You'd have to be following the likes to One FC, Rizin (which has the cooler Japanese brands anyways usually), Bellator and PFL etc.

If you open various mags and go to the main websites and magazines, you'll probably see a lot more advertising. Last I checked, I believe GSP is still plastered all over Hayabusa's page and the likes of Gus on Bad Boy.

Venum and Hayabusa are still trucking along.

Tapout look like they're very much into crossfit etc through WWE.

Maybe. But again, a lot of the origins of the speedo/tighties style shorts was very much because of the rule sets allowing for grabbing of clothing. Once that was banned under the rules, more board short styles came about.

Back