Ex-Facebook Exec. Plagued by Guilt: "Ripping Apart Society"

I never saw the need for that in my life. The concept of having a webpgae all about me was not appealing.

As the use of this information collector became more apparent, I saw it have a dual effect: electrifying the navel-gazing, narcissistic chords of the human psyche WHILE stove piping massive chunks of information into Facebook hands.

Funded by InQTel.

Its a clever little mind fuck.

It's a more reliable platform than email for a lot of my friends and relatives (internationally distributed groups), with an easy integration of group messaging, event notification, VOIP, videos and photo albums.
There's nothing forcing people to use it for vapid self promotion, instagramming all their meals or wasting time cut and pasting meme's and chain messages.

what about us?

Sherbook

Facedog

pomg.gif

FB is a good source of news and interacting with others. Sure there are some drawbacks, as with all things, especially since the things that you continuously do end up controlling you. In order to live efficiently in this society people must use social media, including FB, or they will be alienated.

Deleted Facebook several (5?) years ago. It’s a scourge. None of my friends have it either. I do like Instagram though because I follow lots of travel feeds.

In order to live efficiently in this society people must use social media, including FB, or they will be alienated.
facts.

its easy to reject social media when you're 30,40, married and pretty much set

try being a uni student who doesnt use social media LOL are u trying to get no pussy and never get invited anywhere?

Last edited:
Didn't have Facebook for the longest time, but I got it to stay in touch with people. It's a little easier that way. I don't really have information of me up there. Can't understand how people post 20 times a day everyday. Had to unfollow some people as a result but didn't unfriend them.

He's right to feel guilt. Especially now that they've launched Messenger Kids, where they're trying to get children hooked on it as young as 6. Building their profiles, sharing your information, subtly influencing your life. Facebook is the devil. But yea social media in general has fucked up this upcoming generation. I guarantee that's why we see so much anxiety in kids these days. I see this guy as similar to a tobacco company executive who knew that the product was so bad for people's health but pushed it anyway. I highly recommend this video:

Not controlling, I want to lead by example. If I'm constantly occupied with my iPhone or iPad on social media, my kids will pick up on it and it will be more or less ingrained in them to be absorbed by non-human interaction through social media.

I will also keep them busy with school work, working out, spending quality time with them as well as enable them to hang out with real friends. I will also be factual and inform them about the pros and cons about social media.

That's my plan as well, though I'm far from having kids of my own.

It irks me To see families out at restaurants and each member has their phone out. Sad!

facts.

its easy to reject social media when you're 30,40, married and pretty much set

trying being a uni student who doesnt use social media LOL are u trying to get no pussy and never get invited anywhere?

Yeah but from now on its going to be a normal and ubiquitous part of life. Millenials practically grew up with social media and we are guinea pigs to a mass social experiment about global connectivity. Its been verified that people need to communicate with others - the idea of the generic individual with coherent beliefs, perfect knowledge, and rationality is bullshit as is evident through social media.

I tell people all the time at work that it is my belief that the prevalence and over use of social media and messenging apps is what is wrong with people today. Kids and teens cant talk to people, are rude as shit and are exposed to way too much adult shit super early via social media.

Didn't see these same problems like 7 to 10 years ago.

the most egregious thing they've done was force add the left leaning Now This political channel to everyone's feed w/o asking

I use FB as almost solely an address book and for birthday wishes and with the odd connect like an email. I can't remember the last thing I posted and/or liked. Months ago for a like and years ago for a post.

It's terrible though. So many are addicted and I've seen a bunch of really pathetic stories, including a sister who has a hard time getting and keeping jobs in part, without a doubt, because of her addiction to it.

Plus I can take pleasure in the catharsis of the occasional shit post without having my name be forever attached to it.

You and me too buddy. You and me too.

One week I'm a creationist gun lover, the next an Obama shill.

& the next I'm doing my best @Clippy impersonation.

He’s not wrong. I have a Facebook, too many people use it for announcements and events, but I don’t post much

Wife though... she actually does have a problem with it. The whole affirmation and validation thing is her with her posts. To the point that she’s tried going a week without it to break the addiction and she struggles.

Definitely a bigger problem for women who crave that virtual pat on the back

This is my situation as well. Drives me insane to be honest

Stopped using facebook when relatives started sending friend requests.

I tell people all the time at work that it is my belief that the prevalence and over use of social media and messenging apps is what is wrong with people today. Kids and teens cant talk to people, are rude as shit and are exposed to way too much adult shit super early via social media.

Didn't see these same problems like 7 to 10 years ago.
society will adapt, kids will be rude.

maybe rude will be the new normal? who knows.

all of my kids have their ipads, and at the same time, I can kill their wifi in an instant. Parents like me that grew up in the 80's only had internet as an adult, but it's up to us to keep up rather than fall behind. Parents naturally have to adapt as times change, it's part of parenting. Eventually the era of social media will be a norm and we'll just have to improve our ways of controlling it. Thank goodness my wife isnt a social media whore like some of her friends, however, she does have a phone addiction problem. I call her out on her hypocrisy all the time when she tells the kids not to use devices so much. Embrace it and get it out of your system.

I really dig the communication factor, I can contact family members when they travel, move, change phones..... without worrying about any of those logistics, straight to whatever platform they use. Group emails kind of suck when someone gets their account hacked, and back in the yahoo days, that was pretty damn frequent.

Back