Ex-Green Beret who inspired Kaepernick clears things up

deviake

Otsego Amigo
@Silver
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-kaepernick-kneel-boyer-20180916-story.html

Edit: I only quoted what I viewed as the most relevant parts of the article, you should read the whole thing and not just the snippets that posted.

He discussed why he turned to the military after the Sudan, embracing the motto of the Army Special Forces: De oppresso liber, Latin for “to free the oppressed.”

“I’m not judging you for standing up for what you believe in,” Boyer wrote. “It’s your inalienable right. What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and I’d be lying if I said I knew what it was like to walk around in your shoes. I’ve never had to deal with prejudice because of the color of my skin, and for me to say I can relate to what you’ve gone through is as ignorant as someone who’s never been in a combat zone telling me they understand what it’s like to go to war.”

"It’s hard for a lot of people to get past the gesture because of when it’s happening. It’s during the anthem, and that’s a sacred time for a lot of people."

While making it clear he would not stand, Kaepernick asked Boyer if there was another way he could protest. Kneel rather than sit, he was told, that way you can be alongside your teammates.

That next game, Kaepernick knelt during the anthem, and Boyer, hand over his heart, stood alongside him on the sideline in street clothes.

“I was showing that I support his right to do that, I support the message behind what he’s demonstrating for,” Boyer said. “But I’m also standing with pride because I feel differently in a lot of ways too. But there’s nothing wrong with feeling differently and believing different things. We can still work together to make this place better.”

Two years after the protests began, he is frustrated because he feels their message and intent have been misinterpreted or intentionally hijacked.

From liberals: “‘Hey, don’t you know it was a Green Beret who told Colin to protest in the first place, told him to take a knee?’” Boyer lamented: “And I’m like, ‘I didn’t tell him to do anything. I definitely didn’t tell him to protest. What I did was meet with him, make suggestions on different ways to do it after he was already protesting. And worked with him to kind of come to a middle ground.’”

And from conservatives: “[They] put all veterans in this box and say, ‘You’re offending every veteran.’ That’s also ridiculous. Or, ‘He’s protesting the anthem.’ He’s not protesting the national anthem. It has become an anthem debate, but that’s not what the protest is about. It’s about racial inequality, police brutality.”

Whether people agree or disagree, Boyer wishes the message hadn’t been intercepted.

“It’s not fair to Colin, it’s not fair to me, and it’s not fair to the cause,” he said. “And it’s not good for our country.”

TL;DR (You really should read the whole article though):

-Says he didn't tell Kapernick to do anything, just made suggestions
-Doesn't agree with everything Kaepernick has said and done
-Supports Kaepernick's message and right to protest
-Says he's just ignorant of dealing with racism because of the color of his skin as someone who's never been in a combat zone telling him they understand what it's like to go to war
-Doesn't like him and Kaepernick being mischaracterized

Who cares
Given all the strong and often incorrect viewpoints about this whole thing, I found it interesting. If you don't care, then go away and talk about how much you don't care elsewhere.

Given all the strong and often incorrect viewpoints about this whole thing, I found it interesting. If you don't care, then go away and talk about how much you don't care elsewhere.

Cincy is a troll, just ignore him.

Good thread. I don't think this'll change any minds, but the more threads that contain truth, the better.

Cincy is a troll, just ignore him.

Good thread. I don't think this'll change any minds, but the more threads that contain truth, the better.
Are you guys really just now learning this story

I hate that he used the stage he did and feel he could have used a hundred better platforms, but I refuse to distort the message, intent, or the conversation.

Isn't it already widely understood his protest was against police treatment of minorities? Seemed to me the problem was people didn't like how he chose to do it. Kinda like when fools block roadways in order to get attention. I can sympathize with whatever cause is plastered on their signs and still call them assholes for blocking traffic. Like in this case. I'm all for cracking down on the pigs and still think it's stupid to protest the national symbol over local issues (and still don't believe he has any right to use his workplace as a platform for it). If anything I'd say it's the audience' response being distorted.

I'm all for cracking down on the pigs and still think it's stupid to protest the national symbol over local issues (and still don't believe he has any right to use his workplace as a platform for it). If anything I'd say it's the audience' response being distorted.

If I had to guess I'd say he's doing it specifically because it will get a lot of attention (which is the entire point of protesting) and he's willing to take negative press and misinterpretations of his actions if he gets his cause a lot of attention. Plus, he's not stopping games from happening or anything like that, it's a symbolic gesture.

I strongly disagree with the workplace part, because our workplaces can't make us stand for the anthem to begin with. If they could, that would be very dictatorial and would scare me.

ire with these guys kneeling during the anthem or in the presence of the flag is asinine, being against them doing it at work and not their own time, is not.

If I had to guess I'd say he's doing it specifically because it will get a lot of attention (which is the entire point of protesting) and he's willing to take negative press and misinterpretations of his actions if he gets his cause a lot of attention. Plus, he's not stopping games from happening or anything like that, it's a symbolic gesture.

I strongly disagree with the workplace part, because our workplaces can't make us stand for the anthem to begin with. If they could, that would be very dictatorial and would scare me.

If the negative press and misinterpretations are something he consciously invited then no reason they should bother anyone else. It not stopping the game is irrelevant.

They can't? Why not? They make me dress a certain way. Sit in a certain chair. Determine if facial hair is allowed. Check my blood for drugs or alcohol. Maintain a driver's license. Behave respectfully toward customers. What in the law prevents them from requiring that I stand silently for a couple minutes on occasion? Especially when the alternative can be construed as showing disrespect towards the customers and sponsor. Since the 1st only applies to government you must be citing something in employment law?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...-president-cant-ken-paulson-column/703492001/
http://www.thebowenlawgroup.com/blo...-an-employee-to-stand-for-the-national-anthem

Obviously this guy isn't a real American.

If the negative press and misinterpretations are something he consciously invited then no reason they should bother anyone else. It not stopping the game is irrelevant.

I doubt he invited them, what I meant was that he probably (well, clearly since he kept doing it) accepted them.

They can't? Why not? They make me dress a certain way. Sit in a certain chair. Determine if facial hair is allowed. Check my blood for drugs or alcohol. Maintain a driver's license. Behave respectfully toward customers. What in the law prevents them from requiring that I stand silently for a couple minutes on occasion? Especially when the alternative can be construed as showing disrespect towards the customers and sponsor. Since the 1st only applies to government you must be citing something in employment law?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...-president-cant-ken-paulson-column/703492001/
http://www.thebowenlawgroup.com/blo...-an-employee-to-stand-for-the-national-anthem
I was wrong, you're correct. I was speaking off the cuff and made an incorrect assumption. I figured because the anthem isn't necessary to do a job (technically neither is something like a dress code for the most part, but it presents an appearance) that one was under no obligation to stand but I overlooked employment laws in the US and didn't see the connection; my personal opinion clouded my judgment. I can see how it could be argued now, similarly to how a company can terminate an employee for social media postings.

Well, now I know something I didn't before.

I doubt he invited them, what I meant was that he probably (well, clearly since he kept doing it) accepted them.

I was wrong, you're correct. I was speaking off the cuff and made an incorrect assumption. I figured because the anthem isn't necessary to do a job (technically neither is something like a dress code for the most part, but it presents an appearance) that one was under no obligation to stand but I overlooked employment laws in the US and didn't see the connection; my personal opinion clouded my judgment. I can see how it could be argued now, similarly to how a company can terminate an employee for social media postings.

Well, now I know something I didn't before.

Very honorable post. Nice to see around here. :)

ire with these guys kneeling during the anthem or in the presence of the flag is asinine, being against them doing it at work and not their own time, is not.

Why do you think it is that the same people who condemn football players for kneeling during the anthem (on company time!) never take offense at all the players who either kneel after a touchdown or point up at the sky as a form of Christian evangelism?

I think many Americans upset over the anthem protests hide behind the idea that they're only offended about the time and place the exercise of the free speech is occurring. When, in reality, they're just opposed to the statement being made.

Very honorable post. Nice to see around here. :)
Thank you.

I have opinions and cognitive biases like everyone, but I try to make an effort to amend myself when the facts of a situation contradict what I'm saying. It does me and anyone I'm speaking to no good to be dishonest and/or to not have the maturity to admit when I'm wrong. I'm not perfect, but I try, hah.

Why do you think it is that the same people who condemn football players for kneeling during the anthem (on company time!) never take offense at all the players who either kneel after a touchdown or point up at the sky as a form of Christian evangelism?

I think many Americans upset over the anthem protests hide behind the idea that they're only offended about the time and place the exercise of the free speech is occurring. When, in reality, they're just opposed to the statement being made.

So, they can protest for 15 seconds after a touch down if it makes you feel better about it. pretty sure the same people would be pissed if they did a celebration dance during the anthem

So, they can protest for 15 seconds after a touch down if it makes you feel better about it. pretty sure the same people would be pissed if they did a celebration dance during the anthem

So you're proving my point. The issue isn't with a player making a personal statement while being paid to play football. It's about what some view as the "disrespecting" of the anthem and the country.

I just want people to be honest about it. To stop the bullshitting and the pretending that they respect the rights of others' free speech.

So you're proving my point. The issue isn't with a player making a personal statement while being paid to play football. It's about what some view as the "disrespecting" of the anthem and the country.

I just want people to be honest about it. To stop the bullshitting and the pretending that they respect the rights of others' free speech.

Not sure i am following your logic, i think people would be pissed if players did end zone celebrations during the anthem and if some how they could protest after a touch down, i think people would care less. either way, im totally cool with any business not allowing personal protest during work.

Ha!

Sounds like my kinda vet.

More offended at the idea of people being afraid to exercise freedoms than he is people exercising them.

I dont give a shit how you use them, just fucking use them.

Back