Example of wrestling "sparring" or "flow rolling"

jack36767

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Between World Champs Frank Chamizo and Logan Stieber

Other examples

I think one thing a lot of people miss is that for training like that to be effective, you actually have already be pretty good. That's the sort of thing you can do once you get good, it's much less useful if you don't have a deep enough technical repertoire to move through those positions in an intelligent way. I really believe that beginner first need to learn how to work hard and fight in a grappling exchange and then as their technique comes along they can back it off and do more technical training. But when you're doing live goes (distinct from positional sparring, that serves a different purpose and various levels of intensity are good for all skill levels when doing that) go hard until you've reached a decent level at which point you'll have the mindset you need in your back pocket and you can still get better doing more lower intensity work.

I wish there were more of these 'flow' wrestling videos online, it is cool to see wrestlers work and be smart in getting to safety rather than explosion and strength.

I think one thing a lot of people miss is that for training like that to be effective, you actually have already be pretty good. That's the sort of thing you can do once you get good, it's much less useful if you don't have a deep enough technical repertoire to move through those positions in an intelligent way. I really believe that beginner first need to learn how to work hard and fight in a grappling exchange and then as their technique comes along they can back it off and do more technical training. But when you're doing live goes (distinct from positional sparring, that serves a different purpose and various levels of intensity are good for all skill levels when doing that) go hard until you've reached a decent level at which point you'll have the mindset you need in your back pocket and you can still get better doing more lower intensity work.
I agree. I think brown/black belt level is a good place to be before a lot of this type of training. That way you've developed the skills. I;ve seen a lot of lower belts watch those videos of Ryan Hall and Jeff Glover flow rolling with each other and they just try and copy that without the skills yet.

Agree completely but you can build and start teaching the ideas sooner than a lot think. You just have to scaffold and do things like lay out sequences to follow

Demian Maia and Marlon Moraes in the first video.

Beginners can most certainly learn how to flow wrestle/flow roll. Flow wrestling starts with getting a noob proficient at the pummel drill and the double leg

beautiful stuff i hate that in grappling you not only have to have a partner but a good partner to drill

Back