Exercises for a stronger clinch

Silver tongue samurai

Ronin
@Blue
Reaction score
As the tittle says are there any good exercises to get a stronger clinch (other than technique wise)

I have a book that said just straight bicep curls would help as thats essentially the primary motion.

Maybe curls or chin ups with holds?

Any help would be greatful

Mostly row variations yes. Anything that engages the lats, the biceps and resists extension of the wrist. Various grips doing chinups/pullups would probably have a good carryover. Weighted perhaps.

That and overall lower body strength will probably help you stabilise a bit.

It's mostly technique though.

Mostly row variations yes. Anything that engages the lats, the biceps and resists extension of the wrist. Various grips doing chinups/pullups would probably have a good carryover. Weighted perhaps.

That and overall lower body strength will probably help you stabilise a bit.

It's mostly technique though.

I figued it was. just trying to get that extra edge ya know. Technique should be first before raw strength. Very good exercise ideas. Iv noticed as well that my lower body has a huge roll in defending trips, sweeps and such. Even being reversed againsed the wall. Lower body in general is very important

I figued it was. just trying to get that extra edge ya know. Technique should be first before raw strength. Very good exercise ideas. Iv noticed as well that my lower body has a huge roll in defending trips, sweeps and such. Even being reversed againsed the wall. Lower body in general is very important
Yeah it is. Being able to manipulate your center of gravity, and especially lower it, and push force into the ground and use your hips and legs to push your opponent around is a big thing. Generally working on exercises that include hip extension and controlling a heavy weight can help with that, like doing compounds, but just being used to having a low center of gravity for extended periods of time helps too.

Rope climbing would be a fun one in regards to the clinch as well, there's many options.

What's your S&C looking like right now?

Yeah it is. Being able to manipulate your center of gravity, and especially lower it, and push force into the ground and use your hips and legs to push your opponent around is a big thing. Generally working on exercises that include hip extension and controlling a heavy weight can help with that, like doing compounds, but just being used to having a low center of gravity for extended periods of time helps too.

Rope climbing would be a fun one in regards to the clinch as well, there's many options.

What's your S&C looking like right now?

Too be honest i do very little especially with weights. im around 5'11(.5;)) and a mesomorph so i tend to gain muscle pretty quickly qhich ramps up my weight. I found using mostly plyos it keeps my weight down but i still strength from it (plus added body control)

At the moment its mostly body weight squats (sometimes goblet squats right into jump squats) push ups and olympic ring work, rarely ill do some kettlebell swings. Iv been trying to come up with a stedy routine though i find i end up too filled out and heavy

Too be honest i do very little especially with weights. im around 5'11(.5;)) and a mesomorph so i tend to gain muscle pretty quickly qhich ramps up my weight. I found using mostly plyos it keeps my weight down but i still strength from it (plus added body control)

At the moment its mostly body weight squats (sometimes goblet squats right into jump squats) push ups and olympic ring work, rarely ill do some kettlebell swings. Iv been trying to come up with a stedy routine though i find i end up too filled out and heavy
Yeah you don't necessarily have to do a lot of S&C on the side, but it can be useful. Your weaknesses and strengths would help determine what's right for you, but that's not possible to discern over the internet.

BW exercises do have their pros and doing squats like you are might have some benefit. Still, if you have access to a gym and is already devoting some time to doing exercises, I'd recommend putting perhaps barbell squats and trapbar deadlifts in there. Controlled reps and gradual buildup.

It doesn't have to be complicated, it could look something like a lower body compound exercise, an unilateral/single leg exercise, rope climbing/chinup variation and perhaps a core exercise like turkish getups. Just an example. Point is, it can be in small dosis and gradually building the load so that it doesn't interfere with your sport.

The plyos/jumps and all sounds great too, and the rings if you can handle them.

In regards to your weight, do you feel like you can control it somewhat by what you're eating? Usually the amount of calories you take in is the biggest factor in how much size you gain. That and the cardio you do might be something that would help you not get too big for your weightclass.

for a little ggp you could do bearhug sandbag carries. could be good for clinch strength haha

Yeah you don't necessarily have to do a lot of S&C on the side, but it can be useful. Your weaknesses and strengths would help determine what's right for you, but that's not possible to discern over the internet.

BW exercises do have their pros and doing squats like you are might have some benefit. Still, if you have access to a gym and is already devoting some time to doing exercises, I'd recommend putting perhaps barbell squats and trapbar deadlifts in there. Controlled reps and gradual buildup.

It doesn't have to be complicated, it could look something like a lower body compound exercise, an unilateral/single leg exercise, rope climbing/chinup variation and perhaps a core exercise like turkish getups. Just an example. Point is, it can be in small dosis and gradually building the load so that it doesn't interfere with your sport.

The plyos/jumps and all sounds great too, and the rings if you can handle them.

In regards to your weight, do you feel like you can control it somewhat by what you're eating? Usually the amount of calories you take in is the biggest factor in how much size you gain. That and the cardio you do might be something that would help you not get too big for your weightclass.

Thank you tons. Just turned 21 so id like to find out what works best for me in regards to strengths and weaknesses and get a steady routine going.

In regards to diet i try to get in at least 3L of water a day. Idont really do the bulk/cut thing so my diet is pretty consistent. Meat,veggies,fruit, some grains for carbs. I try to use carbs as like a boost because i know atm ketosis isnt viable so im running on carbs

I fluctuate though definitely depending on if im cardio or strength focused. Iv been as big as 215 lifting and training and as low as 175 mainly running and training without touching any water weight

Thank you tons. Just turned 21 so id like to find out what works best for me in regards to strengths and weaknesses and get a steady routine going.

In regards to diet i try to get in at least 3L of water a day. Idont really do the bulk/cut thing so my diet is pretty consistent. Meat,veggies,fruit, some grains for carbs. I try to use carbs as like a boost because i know atm ketosis isnt viable so im running on carbs

I fluctuate though definitely depending on if im cardio or strength focused. Iv been as big as 215 lifting and training and as low as 175 mainly running and training without touching any water weight
You will find out along the way, but best thing would obviously be having someone who knows what they are doing help you out. Still, you can get somewhere with the basics.

Yeah it's good that you don't bulk and cut and all that jazz, and just stay consistent with whole and good foods. Carbs are fine too.

Personally I can have a period of strength work and still not gain much, if any, weight. It's all depending on how much I eat basicly. We're all different and you might respond more easily to gaining mass, but I'm sure you can manipulate it somewhat with the amount of food you are eating. Not that you should starve yourself or anything, but there's a balance there to maintaining weight.

I guess it depends what you like to do in the clinch. I have found doing deadlifts is very beneficial if you want to be able to move people around and resist being bent out of posture, plus they help a lot when battling for position against a wall. In my opinion, learning how to use hips in the clinch is more useful than having strong arms. I had noodle arms back when I was competing at 135lbs, and had no problem bullying much heavier people in the clinch. Other things that may help are chinups, front squats and rows of all sorts.

I guess it depends what you like to do in the clinch. I have found doing deadlifts is very beneficial if you want to be able to move people around and resist being bent out of posture, plus they help a lot when battling for position against a wall. In my opinion, learning how to use hips in the clinch is more useful than having strong arms. I had noodle arms back when I was competing at 135lbs, and had no problem bullying much heavier people in the clinch. Other things that may help are chinups, front squats and rows of all sorts.

By learning how to use your hips you mean more on the technique side of the clinch right?

I do plenty of chin ups on the rings and like i said gobletsquats here and there. I should definitely add rows seems like a popular one mentioned

By learning how to use your hips you mean more on the technique side of the clinch right?

I do plenty of chin ups on the rings and like i said gobletsquats here and there. I should definitely add rows seems like a popular one mentioned
Yeah, technique is a big part of it obviously. You can look at clinch battle as an attempt to break down people's posture and base of support and manipulate where their center of gravity is. Once locked in, making steps to offbalance them or to resist being thrown/put in bad position requires some core/hip/leg strength once you figure out what direction you want to take your opponent. I guess the problem with deadlifts is that they take a lot out of you to recover, so scheduling may be an issue

Yeah, technique is a big part of it obviously. You can look at clinch battle as an attempt to break down people's posture and base of support and manipulate where their center of gravity is. Once locked in, making steps to offbalance them or to resist being thrown/put in bad position requires some core/hip/leg strength once you figure out what direction you want to take your opponent. I guess the problem with deadlifts is that they take a lot out of you to recover, so scheduling may be an issue

Traditional MT was my first art so clinchbis a big part of my game and my technique is decent (can always improve) just ccurious what you guys thought on the subject. My takeaway would be rows and somekind of squat/hip exercise. Now the homework starts haha

you really should carry a heavy bag around for a finisher, bearhug style

If you watch a grueling Greco roman wrestling match you'll realize how much work the delts and arms must do while the core stabilizes. In addition to whatever else your currently doing, Id do:
-shoulder width pushups or bench presses with the elbows in close.
-scaption, which is basically dumbbell lateral raises done at a 45 degree angle (in between a front raise and a side raise) and a neutral grip.
-Barbell landmine rotations.

bicep curls to help build the guns that turn on nuns

Back