Experiment showing dramatic increases in leg press power.

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
It's not my study, I'm just a subject for a friend's masters experiment.

He's getting me to leg press 4x5 at 85% but with a 110% 1RM on the first Eccentric motion. The extra weight is whipped off and I complete the set.

The theory is that it causes a bigger flood of neuro transmitter in the muscles in question, quad and ham, I think it's called acetal coline. This activates more motor units than normal. Once motor neuron units are activated they get activated more easily and as a result your power increases long term.

He's right too, the preliminary data from ECG and a power measuring device show increased activation and power.

In just 3 sessions I've gone from peak power of 1300 to 1500. The effect is more pronounced in other participants, one guy who doesn't really lift shows a 60% improvement in peak power. Which is ridiculous.

Definitely fatigues quicker than usual stuff but fuck me if it ain't real promising. So much so that I'm likely to install this approach to my main lifts every so often

He's getting me to leg press 4x5 at 85% but with a 110% 1RM on the first Eccentric motion. The extra weight is whipped off and I complete the set.

The theory is that it causes a bigger flood of neuro transmitter in the muscles in question, quad and ham, I think it's called acetal coline. This activates more motor units than normal. Once motor neuron units are activated they get activated more easily and as a result your power increases long term.

He's right too, the preliminary data from ECG and a power measuring device show increased activation and power.

In just 3 sessions I've gone from peak power of 1300 to 1500. The effect is more pronounced in other participants, one guy who doesn't really lift shows a 60% improvement in peak power. Which is ridiculous.

Definitely fatigues quicker than usual stuff but fuck me if it ain't real promising. So much so that I'm likely to install this approach to my main lifts every so often
Very cool.

Overloading the eccentric part is what is commonly referred to supramaximal (eccentric) loading. There's some material out there on it if you want to to search for more of it! Using very high or supramaximal loads to subsequently increase power output is called post activation potential, if you want to look that up as well!

A few questions if you don't mind. Did you leg press regularly before the intervention? Did the other participants (mainly talking about the 60% guy)? Are there any people in the group not doing the overloading eccentrics? Which device is he using to measure power output with, do you know? And at which times is he doing the readings/measurements (after a session, when you are fresh, so on)? Last thing, when you say ECG, do you mean EMG?

Sounds very interesting and must be pretty fun to participate in! Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Very cool.

Overloading the eccentric part is what is commonly referred to supramaximal (eccentric) loading. There's some material out there on it if you want to to search for more of it! Using very high or supramaximal loads to subsequently increase power output is called post activation potential, if you want to look that up as well!

A few questions if you don't mind. Did you leg press regularly before the intervention? Did the other participants (mainly talking about the 60% guy)? Are there any people in the group not doing the overloading eccentrics? Which device is he using to measure power output with, do you know? And at which times is he doing the readings/measurements (after a session, when you are fresh, so on)? Last thing, when you say ECG, do you mean EMG?

Sounds very interesting and must be pretty fun to participate in! Keep up the good work!

I didn't leg press much, few times a year, all barbell and dumbell stuff for me with single and double legs. The 60% dude is very low gym experience.

Done when fresh after a short warm up 4 sets of 5. I don't know if others aren't using the overload but I assume so, will ask. So far it's based off week ones data without overload.

Yeah, EMG, electrodes attached to the muscles, the power measuring tool is a black box with a strong magnet to attach to a plate on floor, has a retractable cable which attaches to the barbell.

Definitely going to do more reading, it seems like it has really cool potential

I didn't leg press much, few times a year, all barbell and dumbell stuff for me with single and double legs. The 60% dude is very low gym experience.

Done when fresh after a short warm up 4 sets of 5. I don't know if others aren't using the overload but I assume so, will ask. So far it's based off week ones data without overload.

Yeah, EMG, electrodes attached to the muscles, the power measuring tool is a black box with a strong magnet to attach to a plate on floor, has a retractable cable which attaches to the barbell.

Definitely going to do more reading, it seems like it has really cool potential
Sounds a little like Open Barbell V3, the power measuring device. So is he attaching it to the barbell WHILE you are doing the leg press and then measuring max power, comparing it to the same weight he measured with the other times? I know these questions might not be something you've really though about, I'm just interested :)

Yeah it definitely has. Right time and place of course, because as you've been experiencing the fatigue can be tricky. I really like the idea of a single rep of overload and then doing the rest of the set within the 80% range. I haven't seen that protocol before. Definitely less fatigue than doing a whole set of overloads.

Sounds a little like Open Barbell V3, the power measuring device. So is he attaching it to the barbell WHILE you are doing the leg press and then measuring max power, comparing it to the same weight he measured with the other times? I know these questions might not be something you've really though about, I'm just interested :)

Yeah it definitely has. Right time and place of course, because as you've been experiencing the fatigue can be tricky. I really like the idea of a single rep of overload and then doing the rest of the set within the 80% range. I haven't seen that protocol before. Definitely less fatigue than doing a whole set of overloads.

I was thinking of you when I posted ;)
It's this one:
kit.png

It's attached when I start, pretty sure he's using a control of 85% 4x5 without supramaximal load of the first Eccentric rep compared with the following 4 sessions where the supramaximal loading is applied on that first Eccentric rep of each set.

I was thinking of you when I posted ;)
It's this one:
kit.png

It's attached when I start, pretty sure he's using a control of 85% 4x5 without supramaximal load of the first Eccentric rep compared with the following 4 sessions where the supramaximal loading is applied on that first Eccentric rep of each set.
Nice, GymAware is prob one of the best, if not the best, velocity/power based training device.

Alright cool. Let us know when it's all done! Would be interesting to read the study!

Where is your friend doing his masters degree? I did mine at Eastern Michigan University, but now I am in Canada doing my Ph.D.

Conclusion: Do a few sets of moderately heavy squats before deadlifts and your power off the floor will be thanos like.

Conclusion: Do a few sets of moderately heavy squats before deadlifts and your power off the floor will be thanos like.
Sorry bro, but you missed it.

One of the HIT practitioner's beyond failure techniques was to just do negatives after they reached positive failure. The negative part of the lift still had a lot of power.

What are the results in the control group?

Back