Exploring the Incredibly Detailed Lives of Red Dead Redemption 2 NPC's

Hollywood Jack

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
A YouTube channel called Defend The House recently released a video where they follow 3 average NPC's from Red Dead Redemption 2. The amount of detail that is done for thousands of NPC's is pretty incredible. I suppose they could try following more interesting NPC in future videos, but even watching the NPC's going about their rather mundane lives (perhaps typical for the average person in 1899) is interesting, because seeing this level of activity is unprecedented. I think something similar was alluded to for Grand Theft Auto 5, but never really came to fruition AFAIK. It'll be interesting to see how this is expanded upon when Grand Theft Auto 6 is released...

When I read, "incrediably detailed lives of NPCs", the first thing that came to mind was Shen-fucking-Mue. Shenmue.

Yu Suzuki was THE man behind this kind of behavior. He envisioned and created NPCs with legit routines 20 years ago.

It's always cool to see that mentality put into action. Adventure games like RDR can only benefit from it.

Although, RDR is so spread out compared to Shenmue that it's easy to ignore NPCs. I don't think I would even look for routine behavior in this game, because I don't have to stick around.

Where Yu had it right is that in Shenmue, you HAVE to stick around and observe NPCs. It was essential to the gameplay.

When I read, "incrediably detailed lives of NPCs", the first thing that came to mind was Shen-fucking-Mue. Shenmue.

Yu Suzuki was THE man behind this kind of behavior. He envisioned and created NPCs with legit routines 20 years ago.

It's always cool to see that mentality put into action. Adventure games like RDR can only benefit from it.

Although, RDR is so spread out compared to Shenmue that it's easy to ignore NPCs. I don't think I would even look for routine behavior in this game, because I don't have to stick around.

Where Yu had it right is that in Shenmue, you HAVE to stick around and observe NPCs. It was essential to the gameplay.
Yeah, it's crazy how they're doing this for thousands of NPC's who the average player will never really interact with.

Back