Explosive exercises to do before lifting

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
So the main goal is to build strength but I want to make that strength to translate into explosivness/athleticism for mma.

I was thinking maybe
-3 sets of Medicine ball slams (overhead, and both sides into wall)
-7 sets of prowler sprints loaded with about 1 plate. Resting 1-3 minutes
-Ladder drills
-10x clapping push-up
-Super fast skips

Then doing a 5x5 type routine:
-Squats
-Pullup/Row
-Bench/OHP/Dips
-Deadlift
-Accesory lift

Any other types of exercises I can do? I know box jumps are supposed to be good but they bore the hell out of me.

I also read the Strength and Power FAQ. Good stuff which lead me to some different plyos:
https://www.brianmac.co.uk/mobile//plymo.htm

Last edited:
Hey, a few questions mate.

Would this all be in a single workout as listed? How often would you do it? Do you have any specific goals or is it increasing overall explosiveness? How is your S&C schedule looking right now as it is? Are the skips rope skipping or are you talking about A and B skips like in Track and Field?

Hey, a few questions mate.

Would this all be in a single workout as listed? How often would you do it? Do you have any specific goals or is it increasing overall explosiveness? How is your S&C schedule looking right now as it is? Are the skips rope skipping or are you talking about A and B skips like in Track and Field?
Hey Sano thanks for commenting! Could always use your expertise

Maybe 2-3 times a week. I just started lifting weights for the first time in 3 years about 2 weeks ago.
Lifts @ 140 lbs:
Squat 225x5
Deadlift 225x5
Bench: N/A. Going through a shoulder injury

I know it seems like a lot of exercises for the plyo part but I wasnt planning on doing all of them in one workout. Also for the lifts I do more like 3-4x5 not actually 5 sets of everything. I know I should just worry about my strength base for now instead of explosiveness but these are just exercises I want to do in the future because I know I can get my old strength back semi-quickly through muscle memory or whatever it is. My lifts are progressing very fast because I used to squat 265x1, Deadlift 315x5, and Bench 185x1

And the skips is like the track and field kind. Idk why I thought of that lol

Last edited:

Maybe 2-3 times a week. I just started lifting weights for the first time in 3 years about 2 weeks ago.
Lifts @ 140 lbs:
Squat 225x5
Deadlift 225x5

I know it seems like a lot of exercises for the plyo part but I wasnt planning on doing all of them in one workout. Also for the lifts I do more like 3-4x5 not actually 5 sets of everything. I know I should just worry about my strength base for now instead of explosiveness but these are just exercises I want to do in the future because I know I can get my old strength back semi-quickly through muscle memory or whatever it is. My lifts are progressing very fast because I used to squat 285x1, Deadlift 315x5, and Bench 185x1

And the skips is like the track and field kind. Idk why I thought of that lol
Nono, I think it's a good idea that you are incorperating explosive work leading into your strength work, as long as you can recover from it. You're already a pretty good athlete with a good base, so in your case it makes sense. I like the exercises too.

Medballs great for rotational power, clapping pushups great for speed, prowler great for the double leg and shooting in general, ladder drills good for footwork agility and yes skips are actually great for kicking. You do all these things so I think you hit the nail pretty much on the head with the explosive exercises. For now anyway.

However, it's too much volume if you just started lifting two weeks ago and you want to work power here, it's not a crossfit workout to exhaustion.

As far as accessory exercises goes, leg curls/glute ham raises, single leg DLs, lunge and sidelunge variations, plank variations and certain push presses would be good (obviously if you are having shoulder issues atm you could substitute with band work that makes it feel better instead) would be something I'd suggest. Obviously again, you can't do everything at once.

Try putting together a sample workout for the week mate and I'll chime in, I think two times should be enough with the MMA you are doing.

Nono, I think it's a good idea that you are incorperating explosive work leading into your strength work, as long as you can recover from it. You're already a pretty good athlete with a good base, so in your case it makes sense. I like the exercises too.

Medballs great for rotational power, clapping pushups great for speed, prowler great for the double leg and shooting in general, ladder drills good for footwork agility and yes skips are actually great for kicking. You do all these things so I think you hit the nail pretty much on the head with the explosive exercises. For now anyway.

However, it's too much volume if you just started lifting two weeks ago and you want to work power here, it's not a crossfit workout to exhaustion.

As far as accessory exercises goes, leg curls/glute ham raises, single leg DLs, lunge and sidelunge variations, plank variations and certain push presses would be good (obviously if you are having shoulder issues atm you could substitute with band work that makes it feel better instead) would be something I'd suggest. Obviously again, you can't do everything at once.

Try putting together a sample workout for the week mate and I'll chime in, I think two times should be enough with the MMA you are doing.
Yeee thanks for the input. I do train 5-6 days a week including lifting days so I do think 2 days a week is actually good.

Workout A:
-Sideways Medball throws 3x10
-Clapping pushups 3x10
-Prowler sprint 7x40 feet (don’t know what that is in meters for you)
-Skips

-Squats 4x5
-Pull-ups 4x8-10
-Bench 4x10
-Deadlift 2-3x5
-Kettlebell bicep curls 2x10
-Lowback extention 3x10

Workout B:
-Ladder drills 10-15 sets resting 30 seconds in between
-Clapping pushups 4x10
-Prowler 7x40 ft
-Skips

-Squats 4x7
-Pull-ups 2x10
-Dips 3x10
-OHP/Push press 3x10
-Rows 3x10
-Deadlift 2x5

Seems like a lot now that I type it out but it doesn’t seem that bad for me only 2 days a week. My recovery is pretty good right now.
I teach kickboxing once a week and I always do abs/push-ups/lunges so I got that covered as far as extra work goes.
Although I am curious about weighted dumbbell lunges and maybe some weighted carriers/shrugs

Yeee thanks for the input. I do train 5-6 days a week including lifting days so I do think 2 days a week is actually good.

Workout A:
-Sideways Medball throws 3x10
-Clapping pushups 3x10
-Prowler sprint 7x40 feet (don’t know what that is in meters for you)
-Skips

-Squats 4x5
-Pull-ups 4x8-10
-Bench 4x10
-Deadlift 2-3x5
-Kettlebell bicep curls 2x10
-Lowback extention 3x10

Workout B:
-Ladder drills 10-15 sets resting 30 seconds in between
-Clapping pushups 4x10
-Prowler 7x40 ft
-Skips

-Squats 4x7
-Pull-ups 2x10
-Dips 3x10
-OHP/Push press 3x10
-Rows 3x10
-Deadlift 2x5

Seems like a lot now that I type it out but it doesn’t seem that bad for me only 2 days a week. My recovery is pretty good right now.
I teach kickboxing once a week and I always do abs/push-ups/lunges so I got that covered as far as extra work goes.
Although I am curious about weighted dumbbell lunges and maybe some weighted carriers/shrugs
I know where you are coming from, but it's too much and I'll explain why. It's not that I don't think you could go through it, I'm sure you could. You MIGHT be able to recover from it as well, although as the weights gets heavier (I'm assuming you are doing some sort of progressive overload over time with your strength training) it will interfere with your other training if you keep going up.

The main point however is that if your goal is to become more explosive and maximize that training adaption you want to 1) go as fast as you can while maintaining proper technique and form and 2) minimize fatigue. THIS IS TALKING ABOUT THE EXPLOSIVE PART OF THE PROGRAM, THE STRENTH PART IS ABOUT CONTROL. Neurologically speaking, power and speed has more to do with high rate code firing of neurons and contractile velocity, meaning that in order to keep these factors high, you have to be somewhat fresh. There are some other advantages of going to fatigue and at least try to produce power there, but that is not the main priority with this workout. You'll get plenty of that in your MMA training.

A few minor points regarding the strength portion is that I think DL and Squatting on the same day x2 a week could be detrimental. Doesn't have to be, but sometimes less is more to get the most out of what you are doing (especially when doing MMA on the side). Also, I know you're doing lunges, but single leg workouts like single leg DLs and maybe lateral lunges with a step up are different in the sense that you get a balance element and a stability element that's both transferable to different planes of movement and can improve your performance.

If I was you, I would do something like this:

Proper warmup:

Workout A:
-Sideways Medball throws 2-3x6-8 (technique on these are important, you can record them if you want and I can give you a few pointers, or point you the direction of a few videos)
-Clapping pushups 2x8-10
-Skips
-Prowler sprint 5x40 feet

-Squats 4x5
-Pull-ups 4x8-10
-Bench 4x10
-Single leg DL 2-3x8
-Glute Ham Raise 2-3x6-8 (these are hard if done right, I can show you a vid if you want).

Workout B:
-Ladder drills 8-10 sets resting 30 seconds in between
-Clapping pushups 3x8
-Skips
-Prowler 4x40 ft (maybe even take this out entirely during the first few weeks before putting it back in)

-Squats 4x7
-Pull-ups 2x10
-Dips 3x10
-OHP/Push press 3x10
-Rows 3x10
-Deadlift 2x5

Even this might be a bit much depending on how heavy you are lifting, but it's hard to tell without being there. If you say you can handle it, go for it.

Last edited:
I read about how doing these kind of explosive exercises are great for warming up before weightlifting, but I have such a hard time getting motivated to do them. I always want to jump right into my lifting routine. I think it's mainly because it adds time to my workout, which I try to keep as short as possible. Working 10 hour days with two young children at home so I like to make my workouts as quick and as efficient as possible. Already doing a ton of stretching and foam rolling afterwards just to keep my back from feeling sore.

Good luck OP! Stick with it.

I know where you are coming from, but it's too much and I'll explain why. It's not that I don't think you could go through it, I'm sure you could. You MIGHT be able to recover from it as well, although as the weights gets heavier (I'm assuming you are doing some sort of progressive overload over time with your strength training) it will interfere with your other training if you keep going up.

The main point however is that if your goal is to become more explosive and maximize that training adaption you want to 1) go as fast as you can while maintaining proper technique and form and 2) minimize fatigue. THIS IS TALKING ABOUT THE EXPLOSIVE PART OF THE PROGRAM, THE STRENTH PART IS ABOUT CONTROL. Neurologically speaking, power and speed has more to do with high rate code firing of neurons and contractile velocity, meaning that in order to keep these factors high, you have to be somewhat fresh. There are some other advantages of going to fatigue and at least try to produce power there, but that is not the main priority with this workout. You'll get plenty of that in your MMA training.

A few minor points regarding the strength portion is that I think DL and Squatting on the same day x2 a week could be detrimental. Doesn't have to be, but sometimes less is more to get the most out of what you are doing (especially when doing MMA on the side). Also, I know you're doing lunges, but single leg workouts like single leg DLs and maybe lateral lunges with a step up are different in the sense that you get a balance element and a stability element that's both transferable to different planes of movement and can improve your performance.

If I was you, I would do something like this:

Proper warmup:

Workout A:
-Sideways Medball throws 2-3x6-8 (technique on these are important, you can record them if you want and I can give you a few pointers, or point you the direction of a few videos)
-Clapping pushups 2x8-10
-Skips
-Prowler sprint 5x40 feet

-Squats 4x5
-Pull-ups 4x8-10
-Bench 4x10
-Single leg DL 2-3x8
-Glute Ham Raise 2-3x6-8 (these are hard if done right, I can show you a vid if you want).

Workout B:
-Ladder drills 8-10 sets resting 30 seconds in between
-Clapping pushups 3x8
-Skips
-Prowler 4x40 ft (maybe even take this out entirely during the first few weeks before putting it back in)

-Squats 4x7
-Pull-ups 2x10
-Dips 3x10
-OHP/Push press 3x10
-Rows 3x10
-Deadlift 2x5

Even this might be a bit much depending on how heavy you are lifting, but it's hard to tell without being there. If you say you can handle it, go for it.
Hey thanks a lot Sano! I think I’m going to use your program instead. I know you have to be fresh to get the full benefits of this type of training, but I didn’t know it was too fatiguing/too much volume.

And the single leg variation do seem to have a tremendous carryover into balance. I used to do a lot of single leg DL’s back in the day as well so I totally understand. What is a lateral lunge... with a step up? Am I lunging sideways while stepping up on something? That one sounds confusing but I want to rotate that in once I find out what that is.

Also I specifically excluded GHR because both the gyms I go to don’t have one (UFC gym and 24 hour fitness)
Also I’m pretty sure the last gym I went to that had one, I couldn’t do a single rep lol.

Last edited:
I read about how doing these kind of explosive exercises are great for warming up before weightlifting, but I have such a hard time getting motivated to do them. I always want to jump right into my lifting routine. I think it's mainly because it adds time to my workout, which I try to keep as short as possible. Working 10 hour days with two young children at home so I like to make my workouts as quick and as efficient as possible. Already doing a ton of stretching and foam rolling afterwards just to keep my back from feeling sore.

Good luck OP! Stick with it.
Yeah it definitely will take up more time than intended for the gym sessions. Add in stretching and foam rolling and your looking at 2+ hours lol. Good luck! Maybe just add 1-2 of these exercises in. Won’t take that long

Last edited:
So the main goal is to build strength but I want to make that strength to translate into explosivness/athleticism for mma.

I was thinking maybe
-3 sets of Medicine ball slams (overhead, and both sides into wall)
-7 sets of prowler sprints loaded with about 1 plate. Resting 1-3 minutes
-Ladder drills
-10x clapping push-up
-Super fast skips

Then doing a 5x5 type routine:
-Squats
-Pullup/Row
-Bench/OHP/Dips
-Deadlift
-Accesory lift

Any other types of exercises I can do? I know box jumps are supposed to be good but they bore the hell out of me.

I also read the Strength and Power FAQ. Good stuff which lead me to some different plyos:
https://www.brianmac.co.uk/mobile//plymo.htm
Add splitting wood to your routine. Good Luck!

Add splitting wood to your routine. Good Luck!
Lol unfortunately thats not an option at my gym. But it sounds even better than medicine ball throws or hitting a tire with a hammer!
I also don’t trust myself with an axe

Hey thanks a lot Sano! I think I’m going to use your program instead. I know you have to be fresh to get the full benefits of this type of training, but I didn’t know it was too fatiguing/too much volume.

And the single leg variation do seem to have a tremendous carryover into balance. I used to do a lot of single leg DL’s back in the day as well so I totally understand. What is a lateral lunge... with a step up? Am I lunging sideways while stepping up on something? That one sounds confusing but I want to rotate that in once I find out what that is.

Also I specifically excluded GHR because both the gyms I go to don’t have one (UFC gym and 24 hour fitness)
Also I’m pretty sure the last gym I went to that had one, I couldn’t do a single rep lol.
The side lunge would be some sort of variation of this (the med ball is good because it forces you to stabilise more over the pelvis on the standing leg and you have to stabilise your lower body while moving your upperbody, which carries over to punching)

Yeah the GHR are killer, most people don't do them right. This is how to do a proper GHR:

If you can't do them then maybe substitute with leg curls, on a machine, on sliders or on a bosuball (which equiptment you have) and perhaps the back extension as you already wanted. You might be able to do the GHR later on.

In regards to the technique for the med ball slams, this one sums the against the wall one up pretty well:

@Sano
Damn you were right about the volume. I didn’t know plyos at near maximal effort could be so tiring.
Had a great workout today thanks to your routine.

I also want to clarify, apparently I completely lied about my numbers... as people do on the internet.
Squat is 185x7
Dead is 225x3
Single leg DL is 95x8
Lol

@Sano
Damn you were right about the volume. I didn’t know plyos at near maximal effort could be so tiring.
Had a great workout today thanks to your routine.

I also want to clarify, apparently I completely lied about my numbers... as people do on the internet.
Squat is 185x7
Dead is 225x3
Single leg DL is 95x8
Lol
Of course, that's why I would suggest to keep it at the low end of what I wrote to begin with. You can ALWAYS add more, but the important thing here is quality over quantity.

Numbers are fine, don't worry about it. Most important thing is consistency and form. Getting better form on your lifts will carry over to your performance just as much as an increase in numbers.

Btw, in regards to the single leg DL, I would suggest this variation:

Maybe even less range of motion to begin with, so you can control it. Also, keep the weigh low to begin with.

Btw, if you want to, this article on single leg dl'ing is probably the best I've seen:
https://www.advancedhumanperformance.com/blog/master-the-single-leg-rdl-hip-hinge

Keep up the good work!

Of course, that's why I would suggest to keep it at the low end of what I wrote to begin with. You can ALWAYS add more, but the important thing here is quality over quantity.

Numbers are fine, don't worry about it. Most important thing is consistency and form. Getting better form on your lifts will carry over to your performance just as much as an increase in numbers.

Btw, in regards to the single leg DL, I would suggest this variation:

Maybe even less range of motion to begin with, so you can control it. Also, keep the weigh low to begin with.

Btw, if you want to, this article on single leg dl'ing is probably the best I've seen:
https://www.advancedhumanperformance.com/blog/master-the-single-leg-rdl-hip-hinge

Keep up the good work!

Nice. Ive been doing it with excessive ROM, leg off the ground super straight, foot and weight touching the floor off each rep, and with a barbell. Now I know how to do them better. I can probably increase the weight knowing this as well

Lifts @ 140 lbs:
Squat 225x5
Deadlift 225x5
But how much can you curl?

Back