Extended universe franchises: Which is your favorite? (Monsterverse, SWU, MCU, etc.)

Eusung

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
And post your rankings if you like.

Personally, I like the MCU most because it is the only one that totally nails the concept of a shared universe.

After that would be the SWU for me...but mostly because of 3 movies: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, and The Force Awakens.

Then comes the monsterverse. I really enjoyed Kong: Skull Island. I thought Godzilla 2014 had a lot of potential, but the execution was poor (trying to pull the whole Jaws style of horror sounds great....Edwards overdid it...if Godzilla and the Mutos just had 2 minutes of more screen time in DAYLIGHT, that would have went a long way.

My rankings:

SWU

1. The Empire Strikes Back (V), A+++, 1980

2. A New Hope (IV), A+, 1977

3. The Force Awakens (VII), A-, 2015

4. Return of the Jedi (VI), B+, 1983

5. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, B-, 2016

6. Revenge of the Sith, C-, 2005

7. The Last Jedi (VIII), D+, 2017

8. The Phantom Menace, F, 1999

9. Attack of the Clones, F, 2002

-Solo: A Star Wars Story N/A Haven’t seen it

The Monsterverse:
1. Kong: Skull Island, B
2. Godzilla 2014, C+ (VERY hard to rewatch this one because of the shallow human characters and lack of monster time)

-Shin Godzilla shits over both these movies, A- for Shin Gojira!

MCU:

1. Avengers: Infinity War, A+, 2018 (the most rewatchable superhero movie IMO)

2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier, A+, 2014 (the most tight, cohesive, and thrilling of the MCU)

3. Iron Man, A+, 2008 (2nd most rewatchable, perfect balance between the grounded and dark Nolan Batman and the almost cartoony, lighthearted Raimi Spiderman)

4. Captain America: Civil War, A, 2016

5. Guardians of the Galaxy, A, 2014

6. Black Panther, A, 2018

7. The Avengers, A-, 2012

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Volume II, A-, 2017

9. Thor: Ragnarok, B+, 2017

10. Spider-man: Homecoming, B+, 2017

11. Avengers: Age of Ultron, B, 2015

12. Doctor Strange, B, 2016

13. Captain America: The First Avenger, B, 2011

14. The Incredible Hulk, B, 2008

15. Ant-Man, B, 2015

16. Thor, B-, 2011

17. Iron-Man 2, C+, 2010

18. Iron-Man 3, C, 2013

19. Thor: The Dark World, C-, 2013

20. N/A (Antman & The Wasp)

lol I forgot the DC universe...shows how much is sucks.

DCEU rankings:

1. Man of Steel, B+ (A- when I first saw it in theaters a couple times....doesn't hold up well under scrutiny...but still very entertaining despite it's flaws)

2. Wonder Woman, B (Enjoyable, but a little overhyped IMO...)

3. Justice League, C- (Epitome of mediocrity...mixed w/ a few dabs of awfulness)

4. Batman v Superman, D- (the worst movie going experience of my life...I nearly fell asleep...tried to rewatch on bluray....that was tough)

Let's not forget the FOX X-Men universe!

1. Logan, A+, nuff said

2. X2: X-Men United, A (holds up very well unlike the first one. Still one of the great superhero films

3. X-Men: Days of Future Past AND X-men First class TIE, both get an A- (Felt like X-men was on a roll....then Apocalypse happened...ugh...

4. X-Men, B, was great at the time, but hasn't aged gracefully

5. The Wolverine, B- (just meh....)

6. X-men 3, C+, story sucked, some characters looked and acted stupidly...but Ian as Magneto is always awesome to see in action

6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine, D+ (an abomination of a movie, but so bad that it's actually enjoyable...guilty pleasure viewing for me)

7. X-Men Apocalypse: D (how the **** did Bryan Singer fuck it up so horribly?)

Cloverfield

1. Cloverfield, B+(I like monster movies and found footage)

2. Cloverfield Lane, B+(great atmosphere, mystery, and performances)

3. Cloverfield Paradox, C-(Starts off not too bad, but the 2nd half just turns to shit)

when I think monsterverse I think of that awful mummy movie with tom cruise and universals plans to create a universe with Dracula, Frankenstein, etc ... now that I think about it didn't they call it the dark universe??

but yea the universe with kong and Godzilla has the most promise for me right now, seems like if done well can really pay off

getting kinda tired of marvel, especially if captain marvel deux ex machinas thanos in the next avengers movie and if phase 4 goes full SJW

when I think monsterverse I think of that awful mummy movie with tom cruise and universals plans to create a universe with Dracula, Frankenstein, etc ... now that I think about it didn't they call it the dark universe??

but yea the universe with kong and Godzilla has the most promise for me right now, seems like if done well can really pay off

getting kinda tired of marvel, especially if captain marvel deux ex machinas thanos in the next avengers movie and if phase 4 goes full SJW

Avengers 4 will be the perfect time to stop following the MCU. They do look like they are veering onto the SJW for SJW's sake path that the new Star Wars trilogy has gone through (with The Last Jedi being the most offensively on the nose).

EW's new Captain Marvel "The future is female" made me cringe. Black Panther did a good job of showing strong female characters (although 14 yr old Shuri being "smarter" than Tony Stark, Doctor Strange, and Hank Pym just makes me SMH....)

MCU by brutal uppercut KO. Star Wars dropped the ball so badly.

Oh, and did you the "Puppy Buddies" movies are in the "Air Bud" universe?

Busty Cop 2
Busty Cops 1
Busty Cops on Patrol
Busty Cops go Sunbathing
Busty Cops 3

MCU by brutal uppercut KO. Star Wars dropped the ball so badly.

All they had to do was wait a freakin year to formulate a plan for the new trilogy....but noooooo, they wanted that May 2015 release date at all costs....then JJ Abrams comes in and insists on needing an extra year....they compromise and delay the movie by 7 months.

They should have had the same writer(s) take care of episodes 7 through 9. That way, even if each ep has a new director, the overall direction of the trilogy stays consistent. Blows my mind that Rian Johnson just ignored JJ Abrams rough draft for episode 8.

Out of 10 I would say...

Starwars....

A New Hope - 9.5
Empire Strikes Back - 10
Return of the Jedi - 9
The Phantom Menace - 6
Attack of the Clones - 5.5
Revenge of the Sith - 6.5
The Force Awakens - 6.5
Rogue One - 9
The Last Jedi - 6
Solo - 7.5

Tolkien.....

Fellowship of the Ring - 10
The Two Towers - 9.5
Return of the King - 9.5
An Unexpected Journey - 7.5
The Desolation of Smaug - 8
Battle of the Five Armies - 7.5

Indiana Jones...

Raiders of the Lost Ark - 10
Temple of Doom - 8.5
The Last Cursade - 8.5
Crystal Skull - 6

MCU.....

Ironman - 8.5
Incredable Hulk - 7
Iroman 2 - 7
Thor - 7.5
Captain America - 7.5
The Avengers - 8
Ironman 3 - 8
The Dark World - 7
The Winter Solider - 9
Guardians of the Galaxy - 9
Age of Ultron - 7
Ant-Man - 7
Civil War - 8.5
Doc Strange - 7.5
Guardians 2 - 8
Ragnarok - 8.5
Black Panther - 7.5
Infinity War - 9

Last edited:
All they had to do was wait a freakin year to formulate a plan for the new trilogy....but noooooo, they wanted that May 2015 release date at all costs....then JJ Abrams comes in and insists on needing an extra year....they compromise and delay the movie by 7 months.

They should have had the same writer(s) take care of episodes 7 through 9. That way, even if each ep has a new director, the overall direction of the trilogy stays consistent. Blows my mind that Rian Johnson just ignored JJ Abrams rough draft for episode 8.

Too many cooks.

MCU first for me, followed closely by SW.

DCAU #1 IMO. Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are all geniuses when it comes to this stuff. The DC cinematic universe is trash but their animated universes have been top notch.

Followed closely by the MCU.

Star Wars I don’t even really think of a shared universe so much. I guess it is but not really in the same way. The others have solo films and then come together for a mega project. Star Wars is a franchise that has a couple spin-offs. Doesn’t feel the same.

Monsterverse isn’t really worth the time to talk about IMO but all the power to you if that’s your thing.

I guess Freddie and Jason form a kind of shared universe now and so do Aliens and Predator but they stink when combined.

Another shared universe could be the DC “arrow” TV universe which some people enjoy.

Buffy the Vampire slayer had some spin offs too. And so did Cheers. Frazier + Cheers = legendary

If the new Star Wars weren’t produced by retards this wouldn’t even be close.

1. Mcu

If the new Star Wars weren’t produced by retards this wouldn’t even be close.

1. Mcu

SWU is run by old baby boomers out of touch w/ the current climate of blockbusters. They probably run their studio like a movie studio out of the 1990s.

MCU is run by a passionate late 40s Gen X nerd (Kevin Feige) who knows what people want. They built Marvel Studios from the ground up over the past 12 years.

Back