Faber vs Maia: Who is the Best Fighter Never to Win UFC Gold?

Definitely Maia. Faber was a pioneer and a fun fighter to watch but he was never part of the elite.

<{katwhu}>

Never part of the elite? Faber was the best featherweight in the world at one point. In the UFC he was the second best bantamweight in the world for a lengthy period. Maia has never even been ranked that high.

I will focus on you being a disrespectful dick for no reason and people like you shouldn't be accepted as part of the community unless you can behave and express yourself like a civilized human being

...do you have any clue what forum you're logged onto...? God damned nancy boy.

Faber was the king of his division and the champ. The UFC didn't represent that weight at that time. But there is no doubt he was the best in the world for a considerable time frame.

...do you have any clue what forum you're logged onto...? God damned nancy boy.
A forum where people come to discuss MMA. If someone can't do that in civilized fashion then that's pretty disgraceful in my opinion.

My favorite Uriah Faber fight is vs Francisco, he bulldog choked him for the victory.

Faber's a top 5 all-time FW, Maia isn't close to top 5 at WW or MW. But Reem's the best.

he fought chris wilson b4 gsp.....let that sink in

Wow. Someone read fight finder to fortify an empty argument.

He also finished Alves, Burkman and Fioravanti on like a ten fight winning streak. Then, after losing to GSP, he went on another winning streak against top 10/15 opponents.

My favorite Uriah Faber fight is vs Francisco, he bulldog choked him for the victory.

That was one of many amazing finishes by Faber. I totally understand the uproar over the eye poke as it completely took Rivera out for a minute, but Faber was one of the best when it came to split second opportunities and seizing the moment to put his opponent away.

Rory, Yoel, Karo Parisyan.

Maybe Yoel gets there, but he isn't there yet. I also think that guys whose prime was outside of the UFC don't really count. Just bssed on ufc fights.

Last edited:
Definitely Maia. Faber was a pioneer and a fun fighter to watch but he was never part of the elite. Maia was a top 5 level fighter for about a decade and only had problems due to match-ups which is just inevitable for particular styles, but he never got handled or destroyed by someone. Faber on the other hand looked pretty bad when he had to go up against guys like Aldo, Cruz or Barao. You just saw that the best of the best were a couple of steps ahead in every aspect of the game. His time was back when the lower weight classes still didn't have much spotlight and were in the developing phase, he was one of the guys that managed to rise to the top there rather quickly. Of course the competition of that time can't be compared to what you've had in Bantamweight and Featherweight this decade.

What does "never part of the elite" mean?
He was in the top 2 Feather weights in the world for about 3 years, holding the #1 spot for over a year.
He was in the top 4 Bantam weights in the world for about 5 years, and ranked as high as #2.

FightMatrix ranks him statistically as the #14 All-Time Absolute (ie P4P)
the #2 All-Time Featherweight
the #5 All-Time Bantamweight
and in 2010 the Highest rated Featherweight ever.

What do you consider "the elite"?

Maia got KTFO by Nate marquardt in the first round lol.....Tyron owned him, it looked as if tyron was never in a fight lol....Anderson Silva embarassed him lol.

Ugh, that fight. But Anderson's level of aggression made Woodley and Usman look like Houston Alexander obliterating Keith Jardine. I mean, Anderson didn't even summon up the wherewithal to punch Maia in the foot like he did to Cote. Granted, though, that would've violated Silva's fight strategy of not getting within 10 feet of Maia.

I wonder if it's too late to form a class action lawsuit to get our money back for that card.

Thoughts?

Edit: UFC* fighter. I am a huge fan of Fedor, but he has never fought in the UFC, so is excluded from this thread.
Why do people, especially the ones who make threads like this, not seem to understand that the UFC Featherweight Championship was birthed from the WEC Featherweight Championship? As far as I'm concerned, anyone who has held the WEC Featherweight Championship deserves the same recognition as anyone who has held the UFC Featherweight Championship, because beyond a name change they're the same title.

/thread

BIG Maia fan here but he has never shown any semblance of brilliance when it comes to title fights.

Back