Fake comic book fans

I have thousands upon thousands of comic books sitting in storage. Didn't have room in my new place to keep them.

In the nerdiest fashion possible, every single one is in plastic comic bags and sealed.

I had all my books sealed, boarded and boxed in a cedar closet at my mother's place.

My brother still lived there, found them, tore them out, read them, and tossed them all on the floor. He'd step on them to get the next one.

And my big box of Star Wars action figures? My mother donated it to the church bazaar.

Why would somebody want to fake being a comic book fan? I still have mine from when I was a kid, but lost interest in them in my teen years. I don't really gravitate towards the movies any more either, but I do enjoy them when I watch them. I guess comic book characters are cool in pop culture now due to hollywood, so maybe it's just people trying to be trendy.

I like comics in the 80s and 90s and still like the movies but I dont buy comics any more and the last one around the House of M storyline

I did just order the first 3 books of Vader. I have heard nothing but great things about that series and cant wait to get started.

There was a time I'd go toe to toe with anyone talking about comics, but that was thirty years ago.

I read a sentence or two from @Anung Un Rama talking about comics these days and understand he'd curb stomp me in a comic book argument.

cheers hombre.
I'm kinda out of the loop these days. I've read very little since the last Secret Wars.

I had all my books sealed, boarded and boxed in a cedar closet at my mother's place.

My brother still lived there, found them, tore them out, read them, and tossed them all on the floor. He'd step on them to get the next one.

And my big box of Star Wars action figures? My mother donated it to the church bazaar.
Ffffffuuiuuucccckkkkk

I wish I still had all my Star Wars figures. I have a bunch.

I have some rare ones too.

Some of my comics are in plastic but not all need to get them out and put them all up proper

I think the most valuable one I have is gi-joe #1

It’s beat up I read the crap out of it as a kid but it’s. It that bad, like no tears or rips but it’s not prestige. And I don’t even know where it came from originally, I’ve just always had it as long as I can remember.

cheers hombre.
I'm kinda out of the loop these days. I've read very little since the last Secret Wars.

The last Secret Wars I read had Thor punching a chick all the way past the horizon.

"Mayhap, woman, when icicles ornament the fiery beard of Surtur!"

The last Secret Wars I read had Thor punching a chick all the way past the horizon.

"Mayhap, woman, when icicles ornament the fiery beard of Surtur!"

I've been meaning to get back on that horse, but Im seriosly lacking motivation.

wow. i dont know what is more embarrassing..... being an adult who is a comic book fan or being an adult and pretending to be a comic book fan

You do realize that a good portion, if the not the majority, of comic books are aimed at an adult audience, right?

What stupid fucking thing to be bugged about.

And comic books are not particularly cheap.

Its crazy how sensationalised everything has become. I'm a grown up lol but I still love comics and comic related multi-media (movies, series , cartoons etc). There are a lot of people that claim to be comic book fans but have never actually collected comic books. It's kind of odd to me. Its like people today like the culture of ideas as instead of the actual idea its self.
If a person was into hot rods for example I could understand how they may become familiar with car models and parts before they were actually able to build a car because of financial factors. But with comic books... they are cheap lol like really cheap. So anyone claiming to be a comic book fan but doesn't own a single comic book seems silly to me. If a person is a fan of Marvel or DC movies they should say that.
I think its more the idea that people have this innate need to be a part of something... Comic book culture is no different I guess.
Well, when I was a teen right up until today, I have always loved comic books. I just have never bought them more than a couple times. I just like to read other peoples comics.

Its crazy how sensationalised everything has become. I'm a grown up lol but I still love comics and comic related multi-media (movies, series , cartoons etc). There are a lot of people that claim to be comic book fans but have never actually collected comic books. It's kind of odd to me. Its like people today like the culture of ideas as instead of the actual idea its self.
If a person was into hot rods for example I could understand how they may become familiar with car models and parts before they were actually able to build a car because of financial factors. But with comic books... they are cheap lol like really cheap. So anyone claiming to be a comic book fan but doesn't own a single comic book seems silly to me. If a person is a fan of Marvel or DC movies they should say that.
I think its more the idea that people have this innate need to be a part of something... Comic book culture is no different I guess.
Why would anyone claim to be a comic book fan when they are really not? As though it's fashionable to be a fan of comic books? I have never witnessed this behavior myself...

Big bang theory made being a "nerd" cool, that and petty girls with no other redeeming qualities found out they can make a bunch of money dressing up as comic book characters, without getting their anus gaped.

It's the same as all these teeny boppers walking around wearing iron maiden t-shirts and never having heard any of their music.

It became cool to be "different". Even when "different" is a synonym for "The same".

I collected a ton of comic books when I was a kid, but I haven't bought a single one in 25 years.

Yet if someone asks, I still say I'm a huge comic nerd.

Why would anyone claim to be a comic book fan when they are really not? As though it's fashionable to be a fan of comic books? I have never witnessed this behavior myself...

The term "fan boy" is a comic book community term that has kind of crossed over to main steam pop culture. Comic con has grow exponentially over the past 10 years. Then you got shows like Big Bang theory that somewhat gel bring comic culture to the masses. People pretend to part of the culture to seem cool or be accepted like pretending to part of anything you are not to seem cool. Also just because you've never witnessed it doesn't mean it doesn't happen on a large scale.

Big bang theory made being a "nerd" cool, that and petty girls with no other redeeming qualities found out they can make a bunch of money dressing up as comic book characters, without getting their anus gaped.

It's the same as all these teeny boppers walking around wearing iron maiden t-shirts and never having heard any of their music.

It became cool to be "different". Even when "different" is a synonym for "The same".
I think its more of an acceptance thing... of course anything that may raise your chances of getting laid will gain popularity lol

To be a comic book fan you need to collect comics. To be a car fan you need to build or collect cars. Hmm. Not sure it works that way, TS. You can easily read comics online for free or buy them online and never needing a physical copy. You can know shit about cars and love them but not have to collect or build a car. You either like something or you don’t. Stop being an elitist. “Yeah, well, I’m a bigger fan than you! Look at my collection!” - were you like this when you collected Pokémon cards, too?

I've not bought superhero comics in years(because they're shit now) but i still read up on what's happening here and there sometimes. Usually i look back over the past when DC/Marvel were still decent and still end up discovering new things.

I bought comics as a kid. Then I hit puberty and preferred boobs.

Why would someone pretend to be a comic book fan as if some great prestige and respect comes with that?

Take a wild guess.

d586bd997d92b9f69c0d0ab0eb3bef4e.gif

I was told by someone that is a huge batman fan that they have been reading since batman 1.

do you even Detective Comics bro?

Back