FALLOUT 4 Official Thread v.2: Gameplay & Features Discussion - No Graphics Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thread spiraled down the drain and became a graphics bitching fest. There was no way to discuss the actual game because of it. No need for the same thing to happen again. I do think there is room on the forum for a thread dedicated to the graphics discussion though.

The reason it spiraled down was because the thread was all pre-release discussion. The only thing we COULD discuss at that point was the graphics as none of us had even played the damn game.

:icon_lol:

The mirelurk queen fight was unreal..
almost like a boss fight.

That was a tough fight. Especially when you struggle to finally take the queen down, then get destroyed by a random mirelurk and have to reload. :mad:

The last thread spiraled down the drain and became a graphics bitching fest. There was no way to discuss the actual game because of it. No need for the same thing to happen again. I do think there is room on the forum for a thread dedicated to the graphics discussion though.

ya i agree. and don't anyone get me wrong here, i love FO4! the level of detail and story telling deserve praise. but crippling a discussion about the game by saying what you can and can't talk about is weak sauce, imo.

Eh fuck this, you're just cheating yourself.

and that, really at the end of the day, is just your opinion. not fact.

i definitely view it as a convenience thing, and certainly does not ruin the experience, or really anything near that.

Lol fallout is a simple game, it's not hard. Dark Souls is hard, just because I said the game is a solid 6.5 is no need to get mad. I got spoiled by the Witcher 3, it's hard to play sub par RPGs now.

Spoiled by Witcher 3? Hahahahahahaha....Jesus. The people here are something else.

Witcher 3 was a mess in comparison. One of the sloppiest ARPG's you can find on the market when it comes to gameplay. Story was fun and graphics are amazing but controlling Geralt is laughably bad. Combat is decent but sadly it's sloppy and inaccurate due to the controls being ridiculous.

At least when you play Skyrim / Fallout you can move your character where you'd like without the risk of throwing yourself off a cliff or randomly diving face first at full speed on foot or on horse into a tree or cliff side wall.

The story is superior in Fallout, the voice acting is superior in Fallout, the control is superior in Fallout, the physics are superior in Fallout, the combat is superior in Fallout but I will admit the writing isn't as good (but that doesn't equate to a lesser story / voice acting) and the graphics are slightly behind (albeit the performance in F4 is better). Witcher 3 was a lot of fun but at the end of the day it was a huge disappointment for me. I'll try it again sometime....But it's behind Fallout 4 / MGS5 for this year's AAA development cycles in my book.

Spoiled by Witcher 3? Hahahahahahaha....Jesus. The people here are something else.

Witcher 3 was a mess in comparison. One of the sloppiest ARPG's you can find on the market when it comes to gameplay. Story was fun and graphics are amazing but controlling Geralt is laughably bad. Combat is decent but sadly it's sloppy and inaccurate due to the controls being ridiculous.

i actually found the combat and geralts movements to be fluid, fun, and easy. really the only part about the movement in that game that really pissed me off was deaing with Roach. that horse has a touch of the downs.

The story is superior in Fallout, the voice acting is superior in Fallout, the control is superior in Fallout, the physics are superior in Fallout, the combat is superior in Fallout but I will admit the writing isn't as good (but that doesn't equate to a lesser story / voice acting) and the graphics are slightly behind (albeit the performance in F4 is better). Witcher 3 was a lot of fun but at the end of the day it was a huge disappointment for me. I'll try it again sometime....But it's behind Fallout 4 / MGS5 for this year's AAA development cycles in my book.

i haven't gotten too far into the main story line for FO4 so i can't say which is better in that department, but so far i would say the voice acting is pretty dead even. neither are really amazing tbh. and the graphics are "slightly" behind the witcher 3? not on a ps4 they aren't. they are so far behind you can't even compare the two. witcher 3's lighting, shading, draw distance, add up to a jaw dropping gorgeous game. FO4 straight up looks like shit. i am sorry, but it's shit. This is, of course, on my PS4 so i am commenting from only playing on that system.

its 1. The Witcher 3 2. MGS5 3. Fallout 4 for me for GOTY

Just decided to finally give the game a go, bought it a few moments ago and it's downloading as I am speaking.

Any tips to start the game well?

At which difficulty setting should I start for the game to be as fun as possible and still challenging?

- Hoard junk and scrap it for weapon and armor mods.
- Personally, I started with very high intelligence for faster leveling. Nerd Rage is boss as well.
- Take a look at the Perk List before dumping points into it.
- Save often.

Default difficulty is both fun and challenging, imo. Combat in easier areas is a breeze, but wonder into a high level zone and a legendary super mutant with a fat boy will end your day fast.

My character looks like the Somalian pirate Muse from captain phillips

I modeled my character after me. They even have my hairstyle (ronin).

mine is usually in a space suit or in the proper 1930s Gangster look. Aka prime and clean as fuck, manly..

Damage resistance is my main concern, so I mismatch items.

Do you play in 3rd or 1st person?

i actually found the combat and geralts movements to be fluid, fun, and easy. really the only part about the movement in that game that really pissed me off was deaing with Roach. that horse has a touch of the downs.

Did you play Witcher 2? It had very, very similar controls to Witcher 3. I'm actually quite good at the game and play it on the hardest difficulty. The combat at times is as painful and punishing as Dark Souls but with none of the balance and precision. Most of the time I spent dying in Witcher 3 was falling off five foot cliffs or being locked into overly long roll animations, etc. Simple navigation in the game is fairly difficult and it takes awhile to master. Even after you've mastered it though its still constantly fighting against you.

The reason Skyrim / Fallout 4 look like shit in comparison (and this is strictly about the characters movement) is because they are more concerned with precision and accuracy of movements. That's why you get really, really stiff and funny looking movement and jumping animations in their engines because they are meant for first person control. Witcher 3 on the other hand has no first person feature and excels in areas like character animations and incredible physics in the hair and cloth. It's why moving is so sloppy and a simple command like facing left to right can send Geralt running off in a direction several feet away from where you're standing. I've described the game like controlling a character who's ice skating.

Witcher 3 once mastered aesthetically looks the best. In motion (if you get that rare perfect combo of events and movements) it can look amazingly cinematic and unreal against the gorgeous scenery and giant draw distances. But playing it feels very much like commanding something that has huge delays and lags in the movement because you're always waiting for the animations to catch up as he slowly draws out his blade or positions himself to defend or swing. It feels weighty and even fluid at times like you described but when put on harder difficulties you realize it's not a mechanic that is suited with gameplay in mind but rather aesthetics.

i haven't gotten too far into the main story line for FO4 so i can't say which is better in that department, but so far i would say the voice acting is pretty dead even. neither are really amazing tbh. and the graphics are "slightly" behind the witcher 3? not on a ps4 they aren't. they are so far behind you can't even compare the two. witcher 3's lighting, shading, draw distance, add up to a jaw dropping gorgeous game. FO4 straight up looks like shit. i am sorry, but it's shit. This is, of course, on my PS4 so i am commenting from only playing on that system.

Main Story in Fallout 4 leaves a lot to be desired. My favorite bits of writing are the instances in which my companion chimes in with something or a rare sub quest results in a narrative that veins off into a lot of options that I know will effect multiple peoples opinions on me. What Bethesda did with Fallout 4 is the closest thing to a Bioware production that I've ever seen from them and I'm loving the direction they've moved in. I started a female character secondly just to hear the voice actress.

Fallout 4 cranked up on the PC @ 4k looks great. But honestly everything looks great in that context. Fallout 4 has some gorgeous little additions in the world that I found more surprising than stuff I saw in Witcher 3. The way a nuke can set off a chain reaction as you're pulling into VATS and the world is burning and exploding around you as body parts fly through the air and churning ghouls with missing limbs charge out of the flames towards you all in glorious slow motion. It's just absolute madness and when it's all in motion Fallout 4 looks phenomenal as a whole. Night time Witcher 3 in the middle of the forest is probably one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in a game though. The animation of the trees and surrounding foliage is incredible and I wish at times it had a first person mode simply to look around the areas with. Moonlight bleeding through the tree canopies and it actually flickers like light off leaves and bark. Looks soooooo good.

dammit. no one wants to sex my chick. got to highest affinity with piper but she won't flirt back any more. tried to get with magnolia, nope

One thing I do like is the loot system I got a need pipe rifle that takes .38 ammo which I have a bunch of and it causes 50 rads damage. I have toss of legendary shit already and I'm only level 15 I guess you run into lots of leendaries on survival? I really wish they didn't take out needing water and shit on survival like New Vegas had.

One thing I do like is the loot system I got a need pipe rifle that takes .38 ammo which I have a bunch of and it causes 50 rads damage. I have toss of legendary shit already and I'm only level 15 I guess you run into lots of leendaries on survival? I really wish they didn't take out needing water and shit on survival like New Vegas had.

Everything I'm wearing / gun I'm using is legendary. Makes all the difference in the world.

for fear of spoilers I am not monitoring this thread, but I have a question.
How do I find my damaged turret to repair it?

for fear of spoilers I am not monitoring this thread, but I have a question.
How do I find my damaged turret to repair it?
go to your workshop screen and it will give you the option to repair it if it's broken. If it is completely missing I don't know none of mine have ever moved on me.

Killed a legendary deathclaw today at level 14. I about shot myself when I saw him. During the battle he wiped out about 6 super mutants, raiders and 4 wasps.

Got a nice AP generating piece of armor.

Killed a legendary deathclaw today at level 14. I about shot myself when I saw him. During the battle he wiped out about 6 super mutants, raiders and 4 wasps.

Got a nice AP generating piece of armor.

I love watching battles like this. One time I threw a body off a skyscraper.
It caused a super mutant to be alerted. He ran around and found raiders. It started a huge battle. All started because I threw a dead body off the roof.

go to your workshop screen and it will give you the option to repair it if it's broken. If it is completely missing I don't know none of mine have ever moved on me.

Oh there is a repair option on the main workshop screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back