FALLOUT 4 Official Thread v.4: Jittery Jethead Edition

Far Harbor - thoughts so far

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On an unrelated note, I just completed the "Trip To The Stars" Quest....

Jesus f*cking christopher robin.

Here I was thinking I was doing the Hubologists a favor by installing the extra remaining fusion core after installing the three they tell you

I figured it would give the space ship some extra safety precaution that would prevent the Hubologists from crashing during lift-off, similar to the USS Constitution "Last Voyage" quest, but...

Installing the extra fusion core kills everyone

I even had to reload a save because the first time I activated the Hub ride, the spinning ride brushed my character, causing damage. This angered Travis, who began walking around the spinning centrifugal force machine shooting everyone in the head as they stood helplessly pressed to the wall

I'm so proud of him

Yeh mate, it can save your life on Survival

Your third follower will follow you to Nuka World and anywhere in the Commonwealth including the Glowing Sea because Travis Miles doesn't give two fucks about radiation

Basically, think of DJ Travis as your Brynjolf

15953-1-1335558021.jpg

He's hip, he's fashionable, and early on, he's totally not available as a follower except for That One Time

...so when you FINALLY get him to accompany you on a quest, you just say Fuck It, turn away from the cave and abandon said quest entirely, hauling his ass over land and sea for nineteen years

Similarly with Travis, if you sleep for a day or so at the Dugout Inn (Diamond City) -- which is pretty f*cking common early in Survival mode when a house isn't an option -- you unlock the start of the "Confidence Man" quest:

I was royally bummed to receive the quest, since I've always sided with the Dan-Harmonesque radio stumblings over confidence, because Fuck confidence, what is this, the non-apocalypse? The man is allowed to be scared as balls. Fuck you, Vadim

To get DJ Travis watching your back with a follower or without, you complete Confidence Man until it reaches the part of the quest where you "Meet Travis at Beantown Brewery"

Travel to the exterior of Beantown Brewery where you will give Travis a small pep talk about going in there and murdering multiple humans in cold blood. Once Travis agrees to follow you, DO NOT ENTER THE BREWERY.

Just turn around and go literally everywhere BUT Beantown

Beantown is off limits for you. You are officially banished

Travis is now your homie for life

tumblr_nzrvf8iG5f1rf8ljoo1_500.gif

As far as I can tell the game doesn't recognize Travis as a companion in any official sense of the word, so your Lone Wanderer perks apply if he's the only follower you have.

Travis may get 'downed' repeatedly on survival mode, especially early on with his starting pipe pistol, but don't give up on him yet. He requires ZERO stimpacks, and revives himself in the middle of combat like a goddamned war machine

If your Travis is 'downed' from high DAM enemies (deathclaws slapping him down, Sentry Bots, bosses, etc) and you want him revived immediately, just hide anywhere to reduce your detection level. As your detection level goes down, Travis jumps to his feet and starts murdering everything in sight. This is CRITICALLY useful when your follower is downed near enemies, and can't be reached. Travis will simply hop to his feet no matter how many enemies surround him, and start blasting away until downed again

One more note about XP: like regular followers, any enemy that is killed by Travis will not net you experience unless you personally do damage to that enemy. If you want credit for killing advanced enemies, you have to land some shots yourself before running away and hiding behind a wall while Travis and your follower massacre everyone. On Survival mode, whittling away at skull-marked enemies is the only strategy sometimes, so get used to hiding from shit

*Edit:
I almost forgot the most important part:

When Travis is your third follower he can take some friendly fire (the occasional grenade, missile splash damage, molotov, etc) but be SUPER careful around him. If you piss off Travis while he is glitched into following you he will become your worst nightmare, following you everywhere you go, hunting you down, only getting downed temporarily. Travis will Fuck You Right Up if you piss him off, because you are essentially handcuffed to the man, hostile or not, and he cannot die while following you (marked essential.) Don't even ATTEMPT a pickpocket unless you're ready to reload a save point, because failed pickpockets will launch him into a murderous rage that will never stop.

Travis never forgives, and he never forgets

Oh, and if you're used to stealing items in Diamond City while hidden, steal everything from Diamond City you need before joining Travis. I forgot that he remains a citizen of Diamond City while following you, and so stealing anything while completely hidden in Diamond City will be noticed by Travis, because he's always two feet away and staring at you constantly

If you absolutely HAVE to steal something in view of Travis in Diamond City, make sure you close a door or find a barrier to his sightline. Or he will murder the fuck out of you

If you need to dismiss Travis, travel to Beantown and rescue Vadim. This will make Travis unavailable as a third follower forever however, so I recommend doing everything you need to do solo first, then taking Travis along for the ride permanently

**EDIT EDIT**

Also one quick note about stealth detection with Travis:

Travis can see you almost constantly

Because he is not technically considered a follower, this will mess with your stealth status, and it will often read "DETECTED" because Travis is always watching you

Even if your status reads "DETECTED" from Travis' point of view, you will still be able to hide from enemies and rack up stealth bonuses. Just ignore the stealth status level until it displays red stealth statuses like CAUTION and DANGER, because "detected" won't affect you, unless you're stealing something in Diamond City, in which case Travis is about to MURDER you (see above)

I remember reading something similar about the guy who beat F4 Survival on a single life, but was almost undone by pissing off Preston Garvey as a glitched third follower. You don't want to piss off your third follower, because there's no talking to them. There's also no killing them. There is only endless war
Awesome breakdown!

I knew about that specific glitch but I still don't understand why you call Travis "third follower". Do you have two more followers or you count yourself? With your normal follower and Travis, you're a team of 3, right? Because if you have 3 different followers, I want to know how!

I once activated the Travis glitch without knowing: it was in one of my first playthrough. I was going to meet Travis at the brewery but I heard the ufo crash nearby. I talked to him and went investigating without knowing he would follow. He did, and I accidentally shot him while fighting the alien in a cave. He killed me very fast and on restart, I just didn't talk to him before going to kill the alien.

How did you get travis as a companion??

How do I get three guys??

Also Which gang did everyone help or crush?

My first play through i killed all three. This time I will help the operators and destroy the pack

Awesome breakdown!

I knew about that specific glitch but I still don't understand why you call Travis "third follower". Do you have two more followers or you count yourself? With your normal follower and Travis, you're a team of 3, right? Because if you have 3 different followers, I want to know how!

I once activated the Travis glitch without knowing: it was in one of my first playthrough. I was going to meet Travis at the brewery but I heard the ufo crash nearby. I talked to him and went investigating without knowing he would follow. He did, and I accidentally shot him while fighting the alien in a cave. He killed me very fast and on restart, I just didn't talk to him before going to kill the alien.

I hear ye, I guess Travis counts as a second follower. I only think of it as a 3-man squad in combat terms, so having three bodies in play at any given moment made me refer to him as third.

Funny enough, you CAN have three followers during the Safari Zone quest, since Cito tags along with your group regardless of who's following. I don't think Cito leaves the Safari Zone, though. Plus with a speech check, you might as well count a bunch of Gorillas trailing you guys as fourth/fifth/sixteenth followers

How did you get travis as a companion??

How do I get three guys??

Also Which gang did everyone help or crush?

My first play through i killed all three. This time I will help the operators and destroy the pack

Sure thing:

1. Begin the "Confidence Man" quest at the Dugout Inn in Diamond City

2. Complete the quest until it gives you the objective "Meet Travis at Beantown Brewery"

3. Meet Travis outside the brewery, give him a pep talk, don't enter the Brewery ever

Travis will follow you to the ends of the earth, quite literally. Try not to piss him off while he's tied to you, though

As for the Nuka gangs, I favor the Pack and Operators on the sole basis that the Disciples treat you the worst from the very start. Nearly every Disciple you interact with talks down to you, or reminds you that "If it were up to them, you'd be dead" which is suicidally stupid

I mean for chrissake, you're an unaffiliated, unpredictable Wild Card who fought tooth and nail through a deadly Gauntlet to kill the park's supercharged, super-armored leader in 1 vs 1 combat.

***Morgan Freeman adjusts his glasses, clears his throat:

"You're suggesting that my employer is tasked with clearing out the park for the gangs, given the power to stake territory to whoever they choose, that will give each gang the edge over other gangs....and your idea is to threaten this person?"

I literally can't wait to strip every Disciple's mask off their bloated bodies and pile them in my living room

Last edited:
I hear ye, I guess Travis counts as a second follower. I only think of it as a 3-man squad in combat terms, so having three bodies in play at any given moment made me refer to him as third.

Funny enough, you CAN have three followers during the Safari Zone quest, since Cito tags along with your group regardless of who's following. I don't think Cito leaves the Safari Zone, though. Plus with a speech check, you might as well count a bunch of Gorillas trailing you guys as fourth/fifth/sixteenth followers

Sure thing. To summarize:

1. Begin the "Confidence Man" quest at the Dugout Inn in Diamond City

2. Complete the quest until it gives you the objective "Meet Travis at Beantown Brewery"

3. Meet Travis outside the brewery, give him a pep talk, don't enter the Brewery ever

Travis will follow you to the ends of the earth, quite literally. Try not to piss him off while he's tied to you, though

As for the Nuka gangs, I favor the Pack and Operators on the sole basis that the Disciples treat you the worst from the very start. Nearly every Disciple you interact with talks down to you, or reminds you that "If it were up to them, you'd be dead" which is suicidally stupid

I mean for chrissake, you're an unaffiliated, unpredictable Wild Card who fought tooth and nail through a deadly Gauntlet to kill the park's supercharged, super-armored leader in 1 vs 1 combat.

***Morgan Freeman adjusts his glasses, clears his throat:

"You're suggesting that my employer is tasked with clearing out the park for the gangs, given the power to stake territory to whoever they choose, that will give each gang the edge over other gangs....and your idea is to threaten this person?"

I literally can't wait to strip every Disciple's mask off their bloated bodies and pile them in my living room
You're hardcore man!

I get your point and that's exactly what I thought. A 3-men squad is already awesome enough, I don't want to add a fourth member: we can't have a power trio of four, can we?

I want to go further into Nuka World to find out about that "Cito" you're talking about. Unfortunately for me, I'm going to start a new build again because my Alcoholic Ninja is just too strong. At lvl 50, I cleared the first 3 Nuka parks with little effort on Survival and I don't like that. I want to be challenged!

I plan on doing the Slaver build I mentioned, based on CHA and END. I will just go to Diamond City as fast as I can, do the Confidence Man glitch and head on to Nuka World as soon as I can, lvl 20 max. I'll bring Cait for lockpicking and Travis for body sponge duty.

It will be challenging for sure but I'm so experienced now, I have to mess up like you did and go to Nuka World faster than the recommended lvl 30 to be challenged...

You're hardcore man!

I get your point and that's exactly what I thought. A 3-men squad is already awesome enough, I don't want to add a fourth member: we can't have a power trio of four, can we?

I want to go further into Nuka World to find out about that "Cito" you're talking about. Unfortunately for me, I'm going to start a new build again because my Alcoholic Ninja is just too strong. At lvl 50, I cleared the first 3 Nuka parks with little effort on Survival and I don't like that. I want to be challenged!

I plan on doing the Slaver build I mentioned, based on CHA and END. I will just go to Diamond City as fast as I can, do the Confidence Man glitch and head on to Nuka World as soon as I can, lvl 20 max. I'll bring Cait for lockpicking and Travis for body sponge duty.

It will be challenging for sure but I'm so experienced now, I have to mess up like you did and go to Nuka World faster than the recommended lvl 30 to be challenged...

Spot on. Everyone playing Nuka World needs to take >30 level characters if they really want to feel alive

Taking Cait for lockpicking is hard to beat, good call. Nick hacks computers obviously, but I think I can safely say I've seen twice as many lockpicks in F4 than hacks, whereas F3 and Vegas felt more evenly spread.

Nick's quest is tough, but then again so is clearing out the Combat Zone on Survival. There's no f*cking cover in there unless you dash to the upper viewing balcony, and even then, those trendy poofs throw grenades like its going out of style

My only regret is that early builds will typically shaft you out of at least one SPECIAL category, which can be crippling on Survival. My character had high END and INT builds, but I found 9 END stars didn't keep me from getting one-shot with a molotov or grenade until I bulked up on some serious armor and DAM perks. So fuck END. I'd boost it later when you're out of the Vault, and start with other stat dumps

Just work on not getting shot, or take slo-mo drugs constantly. Chemist perks kept my wimpy bastard alive when Endurance didn't. Ghouls still one-shot on high END as well, especially Glowing Ones which are everywhere, so Survival turns the SPECIAL system on its head. I carry some form of Jet at all times, and build Buffjet at every chance I get, because Mirelurks are goddamned fast, and dogs run faster than the default sprint speed

The worst part has easily been the 2 Charisma. I figured since I was playing an evil build I didn't have to stock up on diplomacy as much, but I hadn't counted on ammo and basic medical supplies turning into life/death choices. Hundreds of caps for antibiotics will make you reevaluate your entire life early game, fresh out the vault. I found myself canceling countless supply runs/mission early on due to Infection, forcing me to sprint hundreds of miles to the nearest doctor because you need 6 f*cking charisma to even START Local Leader perks which is insane, as Reddit already pointed out. Your character can build automated tracking turrets out of tin cans with zero experience, but a health clinic at outposts is apparently some next level shit

1b1ekm.jpg

If you have to bulk up on stats, I'd pump INT and CHAR looking back (or replace INT with AGIL because Survival forces everyone to sprint constantly.) Buying/Selling loot is just so f*cking terrible when you don't have the Charisma. I thought Caps Collector might help, but that perk just laughs at you and blows smoke rings in your face until you can get your regular Charisma up to snuff.

I'd max out my carry capacity lugging back legendary guns, only to get 50/70 caps per item at the end of the rainbow, which ended up being pocket change for high-priced everythings...just a nightmare.

Also because walking to Sanctuary is such a fucking snoozefest. I'd dump every settler you recruit into mid-map outposts as soon as possible. Egret Tours is swimming accessable (and closest to Nuka World) so a lot of players get the Aqua perk and sneak back there constantly, but tons of places work

Last edited:
Spot on. Everyone playing Nuka World needs to take >30 level characters if they really want to feel alive

Taking Cait for lockpicking is hard to beat, good call. Nick hacks computers obviously, but I think I can safely say I've seen twice as many lockpicks in F4 than hacks, whereas F3 and Vegas felt more evenly spread.

Nick's quest is tough, but then again so is clearing out the Combat Zone on Survival. There's no f*cking cover in there unless you dash to the upper viewing balcony, and even then, those trendy poofs throw grenades like its going out of style

My only regret is that early builds will typically shaft you out of at least one SPECIAL category, which can be crippling on Survival. My character had high END and INT builds, but I found 9 END stars didn't keep me from getting one-shot with a molotov or grenade until I bulked up on some serious armor and DAM perks. So fuck END. I'd boost it later when you're out of the Vault, and start with other stat dumps

Just work on not getting shot, or take slo-mo drugs constantly. Chemist perks kept my wimpy bastard alive when Endurance didn't. Ghouls still one-shot on high END as well, especially Glowing Ones which are everywhere, so Survival turns the SPECIAL system on its head. I carry some form of Jet at all times, and build Buffjet at every chance I get, because Mirelurks are goddamned fast, and dogs run faster than the default sprint speed
Your point on END is spot on too: high END doesn't really help in Survival. Not until level 15+ at least. Since your HP increases more every level with high END, you need to level up to increase "survivability". The formula is crazy:

18720b8251b18d23808a6f5c329b1abd.png

Once you get to a higher level, you already have found nice armor and good weapons to help you survive. So 10 in END doesn't really make the first 10 levels easier but it really helps in the long run. Especially for a low STR character like my new build: I can take Solar Powered with 10 END and +2 STR during daylight is always welcome on Survival with the ridiculous carry weight limit...

As for grenades and molotov, even high END won't help on Survival. You need ballistic weaved underwear and a Dense modded armor just to hope to maybe survive a nearby explosion. You know it if you have taken Survival to the latest level (lvl 80+): even a high END character will die one-shot if a grenade explodes in his face. Well maybe not one-shot but pretty near if you're not prepared. Let's say you're lvl 80 with 10 END but walking around in a measly hazmat suit.

A grenade will most likely kill you on the spot!

Last edited:
The worst part has easily been the 2 Charisma. I figured since I was playing an evil build I didn't have to stock up on diplomacy as much, but I hadn't counted on ammo and basic medical supplies turning into life/death choices. Hundreds of caps for antibiotics will make you reevaluate your entire life early game, fresh out the vault. I found myself canceling countless supply runs/mission early on due to Infection, forcing me to sprint hundreds of miles to the nearest doctor because you need 6 f*cking charisma to even START Local Leader perks which is insane, as Reddit already pointed out. Your character can build automated tracking turrets out of tin cans with zero experience, but a health clinic at outposts is apparently some next level shit
My new Slaver build has 10 CHA so I won't worry about that. My last build had 7 CHA for party boy so it has been a while since I bothered. I find perks like Intimidation and Wasteland Whisperer too awesome to be disregarded but that's just me: some people want to kill everything in sight. I can easily get behind that idea too! I just like to invest in CHA for gameplay and trade. On Survival, it's much easier when you can barter and buy stuff early. If you can buy "Big Boy" early on and use it to kill Kellogg and friends in one critical shot, it cannot be disregarded!

The Health clinic you mention is awesome because it really boosts your settlement happiness. If everyone is working and you assign any remaining settlers to Clinics, your settlement can reach max happiness and grow to become huge. I tried all that settlement management thingy in the early game but I find gameplay and character building much more interesting these days...
If you have to bulk up on stats, I'd pump INT and CHAR looking back (or replace INT with AGIL because Survival forces everyone to sprint constantly.) Buying/Selling loot is just so f*cking terrible when you don't have the Charisma. I thought Caps Collector might help, but that perk just laughs at you and blows smoke rings in your face until you can get your regular Charisma up to snuff.

I'd max out my carry capacity lugging back legendary guns, only to get 50/70 caps per item at the end of the rainbow, which ended up being pocket change for high-priced everythings...just a nightmare.

Also because walking to Sanctuary is such a fucking snoozefest. I'd dump every settler you recruit into mid-map outposts as soon as possible. Egret Tours is swimming accessable (and closest to Nuka World) so a lot of players get the Aqua perk and sneak back there constantly, but tons of places work

Survival carry capacity is the main concern of my new Slaver build. With 1 base STR, I must not pick up any junk or inexpensive items. Everything must be organized by weight/price ratio and everything else dropped or stored in a nearby Workbench. I don't plan on doing any settlement thingy until late game (if even), I just unlock settlements for sleep and storage.

I just ignore everything I cannot immediately use or sell at a nearby vendor. It's much easier to do when you have a lot of Fallout experience: the first reflex is to pick up everything remotely useful. Survival kills that reflex and makes you consider much of normal loot as "junk". That's the worst thing about Survival for me: all the management involved by the carry limitations. Even ammo is carefully chosen and limited in number, it's a management nightmare...

INT is hit or miss for me. I favor melee builds and always focus on STR for melee. I put 4 Luck for Idiot Savant. So I keep INT at 2 for medic but that's it: I don't even boost it, I just go get the INT bobblehead early on. Most of my other builds have high INT but my Slaver build has base 4 INT (+1 with bobblehead) to get scrapper, that's it.

I already find the XP leveling up slow but I don't intend to level up too much before Nuka World!

Last edited:
My new Slaver build has 10 CHA so I won't worry about that. My last build had 7 CHA for party boy so it has been a while since I bothered. I find perks like Intimidation and Wasteland Whisperer too awesome to be disregarded but that's just me: some people want to kill everything in sight. I can easily get behind that idea too! I just like to invest in CHA for gameplay and trade. On Survival, it's much easier when you can barter and buy stuff early. If you can buy "Big Boy" early on and use it to kill Kellogg and friends in one critical shot, it cannot be disregarded!

The Health clinic you mention is awesome because it really boosts your settlement happiness. If everyone is working and you assign any remaining settlers to Clinics, your settlement can reach max happiness and grow to become huge. I tried all that settlement management thingy in the early game but I find gameplay and character building much more interesting these days...

Survival carry capacity is the main concern of my new Slaver build. With 1 base STR, I must not pick up any junk or inexpensive items. Everything must be organized by weight/price ratio and everything else dropped or stored in a nearby Workbench. I don't plan on doing any settlement thingy until late game (if even), I just unlock settlements for sleep and storage.

I just ignore everything I cannot immediately use or sell at a nearby vendor. It's much easier to do when you have a lot of Fallout experience: the first reflex is to pick up everything remotely useful. Survival kills that reflex and makes you consider much of normal loot as "junk". That's the worst thing about Survival for me: all the management involved by the carry limitations. Even ammo is carefully chosen and limited in number, it's a management nightmare...

INT is hit or miss for me. I favor melee builds and always focus on STR for melee. I put 4 Luck for Idiot Savant. So I keep INT at 2 for medic but that's it: I don't even boost it, I just go get the INT bobblehead early on. Most of my other builds have high INT but my Slaver build has base 4 INT (+1 with bobblehead) to get scrapper, that's it.

I already find the XP leveling up slow but I don't intend to level up too much before Nuka World!

I cheap out on strength on tons of early builds, yeah

For my junkie I cheated and scooped up enough science perks to calibrate power armor capacity into the stratosphere, something like 360 at the moment -

XP boosted as well, though the Databased Helmet seemed so goddamned cool to me at first, adding XP to everything you do, but I haven't noticed much of a boost. The sound effect for idiot savant drives me nuts, like everyone else. Can't beat a 3x boosted mission though, so I'll take my Boingo Boingg eardrum lumps and keep on

The game has punished me for my unnatural meddling Sciences by frequently crippling both my legs, the second I step out for crafting or trading

I f*cking love it though. I imagine my character whistling as he strolls into market, steps out of his power armor giddy as f*ck, and *SNAP* AUUGGHHMYLEGS

I think the nerdiest thing anyone can ever do in F4 Survival is drop junk items at settlements on the ground and process them to maximize .2 carry capacities, and of course I pull that shit all day

There's just something about dropping dozens of billiard balls and scrapping them while drooling at the sheer efficiency of weight transfer

I like the disciple armor. I killed all kings. I liked operators best, they left the best loot at tribute.

ive been working on a settlement at Nordhagen Beach for 2 days now. Its a big ass compound thats built post fallout so its meant to look corky like it was jury rigged. I got the inspiration from the Nuka world market and Megaton from fallout 3 because i wanted a lot of asymmetrical buildings, lines, etc. It looks to me more like a post world settlement that has been constantly added on to, and its probably gonna end up being my second favorite settlement that ive built.

level 65,cant beat defend the castle,with the miniute men.BOS attack waves stop at 70%.Really pisses me off,they stop and everything is as it was.Going to be buying all the dlc's.Havent playd any

level 65,cant beat defend the castle,with the miniute men.BOS attack waves stop at 70%.Really pisses me off,they stop and everything is as it was.Going to be buying all the dlc's.Havent playd any
That's a weird bug. Do you mean you already have the Castle but have to defend it against BOS late game? Normally, they attack from both flanks and keep coming until the end. Be sure to verify both sides (beach vs land) and see if they're just stuck nearby. I've never seen them not continue the assault, you definitely hit a snag there.

Are you on PC or console? Because I'm sure there must be a quick fix for that. Did you try to reload and sleep a long period of time before the assault? I know that if you don't have a hard save, there's a long gap where you can't wait or sleep. Maybe try to reload before that and sleep for a day or two?

I don't say it will work but I remember doing that when I had a bug on that quest. It was not game-breaking but I remember having to reload from far away to be able to sleep and return a couple of days later, with no more bugs. Good luck!

As for DLC, just be sure what you want to do. Don't buy the Workshop DLCs if you're not going to customize settlements. Just buy Far Harbor and Nuka World. Automatron is fun but the story is shallow and the robots companion get old very fast...

I cheap out on strength on tons of early builds, yeah

For my junkie I cheated and scooped up enough science perks to calibrate power armor capacity into the stratosphere, something like 360 at the moment -
How do you cheat on Survival? Do you use a modded cheat console? I assume you cheat before turning to survival mode? Never mind, I don't think I want to know!
XP boosted as well, though the Databased Helmet seemed so goddamned cool to me at first, adding XP to everything you do, but I haven't noticed much of a boost. The sound effect for idiot savant drives me nuts, like everyone else. Can't beat a 3x boosted mission though, so I'll take my Boingo Boingg eardrum lumps and keep on

The game has punished me for my unnatural meddling Sciences by frequently crippling both my legs, the second I step out for crafting or trading

I f*cking love it though. I imagine my character whistling as he strolls into market, steps out of his power armor giddy as f*ck, and *SNAP* AUUGGHHMYLEGS
Since Power armor negates all your clothing bonus, the Database Helmet only boosts your base INT. If you're used to walking around in a lab coat with a Unsanka hat, you're losing 2 INT point when you enter a Database Power Armor...

I don't understand why you get crippled when you exit Power Armor. Are you carrying too much but using the Armor STR bonus to allow it? That would be my guess why you get crippled when you get out.
I think the nerdiest thing anyone can ever do in F4 Survival is drop junk items at settlements on the ground and process them to maximize .2 carry capacities, and of course I pull that shit all day

There's just something about dropping dozens of billiard balls and scrapping them while drooling at the sheer efficiency of weight transfer

OMG I can't be bothered to do that anymore. I have racked so many hours in Fallout, no way I'm wasting any more seconds scrapping things on the ground. The Wasteland is a huge garbage to me, I drop everything and don't look back. Or just store all junk in a nearby Workbench.

For my current build, I only need junk for gun mods so I pick up adhesive, aluminium, screws and things like that. Once I get scrapper, I won't even bother with that anymore: only adhesive will be picked up.

Last edited:
That's a weird bug. Do you mean you already have the Castle but have to defend it against BOS late game? Normally, they attack from both flanks and keep coming until the end. Be sure to verify both sides (beach vs land) and see if they're just stuck nearby. I've never seen them not continue the assault, you definitely hit a snag there.

Are you on PC or console? Because I'm sure there must be a quick fix for that. Did you try to reload and sleep a long period of time before the assault? I know that if you don't have a hard save, there's a long gap where you can't wait or sleep. Maybe try to reload before that and sleep for a day or two?

I don't say it will work but I remember doing that when I had a bug on that quest. It was not game-breaking but I remember having to reload from far away to be able to sleep and return a couple of days later, with no more bugs. Good luck!

As for DLC, just be sure what you want to do. Don't buy the Workshop DLCs if you're not going to customize settlements. Just buy Far Harbor and Nuka World. Automatron is fun but the story is shallow and the robots companion get old very fast...

im on xboxone.I have reloaded a bunch of times and have tried many times,the attack waves stop coming at 70% everytime,i try sleeping,swimming/fast travel to boston airport...nothing.All my settlers at the castle are going about the business farming and whatnot,everyone ackknodlges we beat the BOS(people in good neigbour,diamond city)......
the mission start after i blew up the institute with the miniute men,i was an enemy of bos,had to build 5 artileries,blew up airbase,vertibirds come,i kill them all.attack waves always stop at 70...I spend days on this game so im not going to restart.i think i might just buy the dlcs and be done with it.

hopefully they make a 5

How do you cheat on Survival? Do you use a modded cheat console? I assume you cheat before turning to survival mode? Never mind, I don't think I want to know!

I never use mods or exploits, even for resources

I was joking that modifying carry capacity on power armor seems cheap, but it fits perfectly with the science fiction laws of the armor abilities

Since Power armor negates all your clothing bonus, the Database Helmet only boosts your base INT. If you're used to walking around in a lab coat with a Unsanka hat, you're losing 2 INT point when you enter a Database Power Armor...

Yeah, I hate having to jump out every time I want my Charisma clothes to work

My guy would get shredded to pieces in a Lab Coat, I wish. One of my right arm pieces is "Sharp" boosted for INT, but since I rarely fight outside the armor anymore, it's useless for kill XP

I don't understand why you get crippled when you exit Power Armor. Are you carrying too much but using the Armor STR bonus to allow it? That would be my guess why you get crippled when you get out.

Bingo. I'm usually amazing at managing inventory, but Nuka World's constant supply of cola has been messing with me. I want super-boosting specialty nukas, but I also want regular nukas for the caffeine perk, so I'm wary of leaving any behind. Purified water weighing a ton. Ammo. Nothing I want to drop.

I never use mods or exploits, even for resources

I was joking that modifying carry capacity on power armor seems cheap, but it fits perfectly with the science fiction laws of the armor abilities
I totally understand. I hate cheating but I use it to create builds fast and test them. I don't "gameplay" with cheats: I test a build to be sure it's gonna be effective then start from scratch on Survival.

Yeah, I hate having to jump out every time I want my Charisma clothes to work

My guy would get shredded to pieces in a Lab Coat, I wish. One of my right arm pieces is "Sharp" boosted for INT, but since I rarely fight outside the armor anymore, it's useless for kill XP
Aren't Lab coats modifiable with ballistic weave? You can rack their resistance up to 110, more than normal armor pieces. Of course, if you're a Power Armor freak, you ain't got time for none of that!

My Scientist build used to walk around in Power Armor all the time but now that I have Liam's glasses, a Unsanka hat and multiple Sharp armor pieces, I prefer walking around "au naturel", with 15 INT before taking a mentat...

Bingo. I'm usually amazing at managing inventory, but Nuka World's constant supply of cola has been messing with me. I want super-boosting specialty nukas, but I also want regular nukas for the caffeine perk, so I'm wary of leaving any behind. Purified water weighing a ton. Ammo. Nothing I want to drop.

Non-survival people have no idea how much Nuka Cola has become valuable with the new fatigue mechanism. You surely have come to a point where you AP bar is more than half-red due to fatigue. No more VATS available is crippling for my melee build so I need barrels of Cola just to keep me caffeinated!

Aren't Lab coats modifiable with ballistic weave? You can rack their resistance up to 110, more than normal armor pieces. Of course, if you're a Power Armor freak, you ain't got time for none of that!

Holy shit I never tried modifying Lab Coats, or non-armor outfits in general. Jesus balls, I need to check that out...

Retreated from Nuka World to build up Wasteland bullhickey on Egret Marina (and purified water, holy shit)

I have no earthly idea why I grinded so many days and material runs towards building a caged floor over the water, so I could put a ton of Raider/Cat cages all over it

But there's something funny to me about releasing deadly killers and cats simultaneously, only to have my settlers pump fifteen thousand rounds into the captives while the cats explode from raider grenades

I put neon signs up everywhere that say Kitty Korner

Goddamnit I need pics of this thing

Holy shit I never tried modifying Lab Coats, or non-armor outfits in general. Jesus balls, I need to check that out...

Retreated from Nuka World to build up Wasteland bullhickey on Egret Marina (and purified water, holy shit)

I have no earthly idea why I grinded so many days and material runs towards building a caged floor over the water, so I could put a ton of Raider/Cat cages all over it

But there's something funny to me about releasing deadly killers and cats simultaneously, only to have my settlers pump fifteen thousand rounds into the captives while the cats explode from raider grenades

I put neon signs up everywhere that say Kitty Korner

Goddamnit I need pics of this thing
No way you have gone through survival without ballistic weave, you're a total badass!

Ballistic Weave might be the single most powerful "armor mod" available. It's not really a mod, it's a new option you get on normal clothing in the armor bench. It's given by The Railroad, when P.A.M asks you to clear weapon caches. Once you have it, you can modify normal clothing up to 110 damage and energy resistance (with Armor perk lvl 4).

What's crazy is that there are a very limited amount of clothing you can weave and STILL wear armor pieces over! The Minuteman Outfit is the most popular one: granting +1 AGI and +1 PER, it can be modded to 110 damage resist and you can wear all your armor pieces over it. It is crazy powerful! For example, if you buy the Wastelander Chestpiece at Diamond City market, you're walking around with +2 AGI and +2 PER at all times, before putting your arms and legs on!

The most popular outfit to weave are Army Fatigues (+1 STR +1 AGI), Military Fatigues (+2 AGI) and Baseball Uniform (+1 STR +1 AGI). Most of the other clothing can be weaved too but you can't wear armor over it. Like the Lab Coat: it would be too powerful if you could wear Sharp armor pieces over a weaved Lab Coat!

I can't believe a connaisseur like yourself doesn't know Ballistic Weave. It's long to get (you must complete 3-4 Railroad quests) but once you got it, you never look back!

Last edited:
No way you have gone through survival without ballistic weave, you're a total badass!

Ballistic Weave might be the single most powerful "armor mod" available. It's not really a mod, it's a new option you get on normal clothing in the armor bench. It's given by The Railroad, when P.A.M asks you to clear weapon caches. Once you have it, you can modify normal clothing up to 110 damage and energy resistance (with Armor perk lvl 4).

What's crazy is that there are a very limited amount of clothing you can weave and STILL wear armor pieces over! The Minuteman Outfit is the most popular one: granting +1 AGI and +1 PER, it can be modded to 110 damage resist and you can wear all your armor pieces over it. It is crazy powerful! For example, if you buy the Wastelander Chestpiece at Diamond City market, you're walking around with +2 AGI and +2 PER at all times, before putting your arms and legs on!

The most popular outfit to weave are Army Fatigues (+1 STR +1 AGI), Military Fatigues (+2 AGI) and Baseball Uniform (+1 STR +1 AGI). Most of the other clothing can be weaved too but you can't wear armor over it. Like the Lab Coat: it would be too powerful if you could wear Sharp armor pieces over a weaved Lab Coat!

I can't believe a connaisseur like yourself doesn't know Ballistic Weave. It's long to get (you must complete 3-4 Railroad quests) but once you got it, you never look back!

My guy wears baseball outfits for the +1 strength, idk if that applies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back