Farmer Strength

My grip has never been stronger than after a summer of landscape construction: arrying wheelbarrows full of dirt and bricks, and lifting blocks and digging trenches. I would wake up in the morning and my hands would be curled up into fists. It took about 2 months for them to go back to normal. That has never happened from weightlifting.

I've been helping mu grandpa since I was 6. Nothing beats the strength you will gain by actually working physically. No sets or reps when you are chopping wood all day.

I've been helping mu grandpa since I was 6. Nothing beats the strength you will gain by actually working physically. No sets or reps when you are chopping wood all day.
You start and don’t stop until it’s done and quickly because after you’re done with the wood it’s time to feed the cows.

My grip has never been stronger than after a summer of landscape construction: arrying wheelbarrows full of dirt and bricks, and lifting blocks and digging trenches. I would wake up in the morning and my hands would be curled up into fists. It took about 2 months for them to go back to normal. That has never happened from weightlifting.
The bags of mix get heavy after hour #2 don’t they? I knew this one guy that wore out shovels. He’s an equipment operator, and when the trench collapses, guess what?

i worked in a warehouse a few years ago, and had that same experience of hands being curled up/contracted in the morning. at first i thought it was just dehydration or something, but it was just bc of the exercise.

and why has no one questioned TrevorRoss's "unspeakable acts with livestock"? lol, i assume it just means slaughter or something but i thought it was funny

It may go against exercise science, but farm kids are explosive also. We’re built for track and field lol. We used to hate going to track meets, but always came home with ribbons lol.
so why arent all these athletic farmboys bringing home gold medals for team USA? Even the wrestlers and weightlifters usually come from the burbs.

so why arent all these athletic farmboys bringing home gold medals for team USA? Even the wrestlers and weightlifters usually come from the burbs.

We’re too busy working on farms, in trades, building our houses, and impregnating large breasted females for that non-sense. You should see a successful farmers bank account. It will open your eyes.

Ok, but I wanna know if farmer strength is better than old man strength or retard strength. Which is strongest?!?!

I think every country with a thriving manual labor scene knows that gym strength isn't equal to real life strength and the typical gym rats will usually fail at manual labor. However, real life strength, or manual labor strength if you prefer, seems to be pretty similar to the "mat strength" of wrestlers.

This reminds me of when i worked a hard labor job a few years ago. I had already started working out in the gym for long enough to where everybody there would comment on my muscles and they were all likeskinny to normal sized men but dam it i tell you what they kicked my ass when it came down to lifting the irregular heavy shit in there for long time. Something that’s irregular and weighs more than 50 lbs is a bitch man. Not for them though. Theres a guy in there that was like 6 feet and 120 lbs who destroyed me when loading up the trucks. I wasnt huge then but i could outlift him in the big 3 probably 2-3 times over but i was weak as fuck when it came to moving a bunch of irregular shaped objects for a extended amount of time.

It was sad and made me realized needed to add in a real mans strength type of work out. I never did though so im probably still a bitch when it comes to that

Would you say heavy sandbag work could be a good supplement to the big lifts for this strength? I'm thinking of getting a bag and what not just been too lazy thus far

~DaViD~

Would you say heavy sandbag work could be a good supplement to the big lifts for this strength? I'm thinking of getting a bag and what not just been too lazy thus far

~DaViD~
Or (depending on your location) buy a truck and chainsaw, and sell firewood. Make some dough and get some work in. Win win.

Yes sandbag lifts can be brutal.

Or (depending on your location) buy a truck and chainsaw, and sell firewood. Make some dough and get some work in. Win win.

Yes sandbag lifts can be brutal.
I split wood for work every summer in high school with maul and wedges so ik what you mean, and was a mason tender for five years, but I was wondering if heavier loads might transfer to grappling more

~DaViD~

I think its the consistency that gives manual laborers their strength. The average person might go to the gym for a combined 5 or 6 hours a week. But a farmer, brick layer, mechanic, builder etc is doing atleast 8 hours a DAY(often more especially with farm work) of intensive strength work. Yes it may not be the same as going to the gym and lifting very heavy for a few reps, but I think it strengthens you in a different way.
As already mentioned its the time under tension and extremely high reps that give the "farm strength". I also think that this sort of lower weight, time under tension, high rep training is better for strengthening connective tissue such as ligaments and tendons. Mainly because the varied work requires differing motions that may not be found in the gym. Kinda in the same way those big indian clubs are meant to be great for strengthening shoulders; odd rotating motion+ high reps of rotation+constant tension of holding them up+doing them daily....just something to think about
I have to agree with this!
I have met mechanics that are really unhealthy yet have giant forarms and will crush your hands when you hake their hands.

@JabToucher

I have to take it easy when I shake someone’s hand unless I don’t like them, in that case I give it the empty pop can treatment.

Something I liked to do back when I sold auto parts is that if the guy was a dick, I ‘d pick a truck battery up with one hand until it was eye level and hand it to them, they’d have no choice but to take it the same way. It was hilarious to watch their core fold like a lawn chair.

I'm a builder and one of the jobs I tend towards is stone walls. The stones are irregular shapes and usually between 5 and 15 kilos. All of it involves gripping them with fingertips and a wide grip, manipulating them at the extent of one's reach etc. All the while on uneaven surfaces.

When I'm doing that I tend to reduce my assistance exercises the following night!

I'm a builder and one of the jobs I tend towards is stone walls. The stones are irregular shapes and usually between 5 and 15 kilos. All of it involves gripping them with fingertips and a wide grip, manipulating them at the extent of one's reach etc. All the while on uneaven surfaces.

When I'm doing that I tend to reduce my assistance exercises the following night!
When you physically work for a living, you have to mind what you do in the gym.

Back