Fascistization of Cable News

HomerThompson

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
American mass media journalism is broken. There are some simple elements of US journalistic practice that have proved easy for special interests to hack, and the editors at least have allowed themselves to be used by sinister forces. (I am speaking primarily of television news here, and primarily of the 24 hour channels).

https://zcomm.org/znetarticle/fascistization-of-cable-news/

This is a fantastic article about the current trend in US cable news. It cuts right to the heart of what @Jack V Savage has been saying for awhile. Giving Trump sycophants equal time, and merit, to people who are telling the truth is extremely dangerous to our Democracy.

Acting like what Corey Lewandowski has to say on Trump is absurd. Giving lies and liars that platform is a huge mistake.

Also from the article:

The search for ratings and advertising dollars above all is very dangerous. CNN’s Jeff Zucker put Trump on every night in summer of 2016, letting him speak directly to the public for an hour or more with no journalistic adult in the room. Trump attracted an audience, which allowed CNN to charge advertisers more. Zucker has to decide if he really wanted to promote Nazism for the sake of a buck.

The “on the one hand, on the other hand” model for cable news (also used by respectable outfits such as PBS NewsHour) is a big part of the problem. Since news gathering is expensive, the 24-hour cable outfits have moved to mainly putting on discussion panels. That move is a very bad idea. Most of the “discussion” is talking points by partisan hacks. Walter Cronkite would not have thought that was news.

What you actually should be doing is having a reporter interview people about a story and then present reportage. A Trumpie point of view or talking points may or may not be part of every story. The facts of the matter should be foregrounded, not how wacky people feel about the facts.

Since Trumpism is an American form of fascism, and since the cable news editors believe that they have to balance the discussion panels with regard to view point (on the one hand, on the other hand), they recruit Trump surrogates to speak for him. In some instances, they just hire people from his sleazy campaign.

Lol @ the idea that you can just label someone a liar because you don't agree with their position, which, in your solution wouldn't even be heard to argue against.

Leftists are disease-ridden cucks. I'll explain more, later.

EDIT: when did TS learn to do more than post stupid gifs? Who's been teaching him what words mean?

Last edited:
Lol @ the idea that you can just label someone a liar because you don't agree with their position, which, in your solution wouldn't even be heard to argue against.

Leftists are disease-ridden cucks. I'll explain more, later.

EDIT: when did TS learn to do more than post stupid gifs? Who's been teaching him what words mean?
Nice contribution numb nuts. If you don't have anything intelligent to add, you can fuck off.

What a disgusting analysis of the subject lol. Not surprised that a shitposter like HomerThompson would cite JVS either.

Nice contribution numb nuts. If you don't have anything intelligent to add, you can fuck off.

Cry more, it proved my point. The fact that you aren't smart enough and lack sufficient intellect to understand why the opinion you're parroting is retarded is solely your fault. I can't dumb it down any further.

Stop blaming others for being a simple bitch. Go back to posting stupid gifs, attempting to use words is a bad look for you.

Let's all thank the media for reporting on the complaints Americans have about the media. The news is now the news.

How is Trumpism a form of fascism? If anything its a slightly more nationalistic liberalism

Stop with the talking heads altogether. all they do is either fling shit and obfuscate, or agree with each other like crazy people talking to a mirror.

Instead of spending all this time on the terrible shit Trump says, focus on all of the terrible shit he is doing. People actually need to know about his systematic dismantling of regulation on so many levels, as well as things like our country not having most of our needed diplomats.

Which is more important:

Donald Trump said African countries are shitholes.

We dont have an ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

Stop with the talking heads altogether. all they do is either fling shit and obfuscate, or agree with each other like crazy people talking to a mirror.

Instead of spending all this time on the terrible shit Trump says, focus on all of the terrible shit he is doing. People actually need to know about his systematic dismantling of regulation on so many levels, as well as things like our country not having most of our needed diplomats.

Which is more important:

Donald Trump said African countries are shitholes.

We dont have an ambassador to Saudi Arabia.

Maybe you were just giving a less important but topical example. If not, is your biggest concern with lack of ambassadors really Saudi Arabia? Some relationships will move forward without an ambassador, short-term. SA is one of them. IMO there are definitely more pressing concerns re: the State Department.

Maybe you were just giving a less important but topical example. If not, is your biggest coincern with lack of ambassadors really Saudi Arabia? Some relationships will move forward without an ambassador, short-term. SA is one of them. IMO there are definitely more pressing concerns re: the State Department.

Ambassadors help our leaders know what is going on within that nation. It is an extremely important tool. Yes, I would put the State Department woes and incompetence above that example, though. The problem is that there are so many dysfunctional sectors. Not even Grant's first year in office was this fucked up. It is unprecedented to such an absurd degree.

Ambassadors help our leaders know what is going on within that nation. It is an extremely important tool. Yes, I would put the State Department woes and incompetence above that example, though. The problem is that there are so many dysfunctional sectors. Not even Grant's first year in office was this fucked up. It is unprecedented to such an absurd degree.

So where do you see us in 3 years?

politicians have gotten so bad that even i am bailing. I supported Trump because he was our last hope. now we have no hope. RIP in peace.

In other words, keep the people I disagree with off the air. More Sally Kohn and Symone Sanders, please.

Also, LOL @ a thread designed to kiss another poster's ass.

ROFL.

In other words, keep the people I disagree with off the air. More Sally Kohn and Symone Sanders, please.

Also, LOL @ a thread designed to kiss another poster's ass.

ROFL.
Your analysis is terrible, as per usual. I don't want different opinions off the air, I want there to be actual news reported on. I'd be happy to see the entire panel discussion phenomenon make its way to the ash heap.

But, there are individuals who don't belong on the air. They exclusively lie, and obfuscate the facts of every conversation.

Jack Kingston
Jeffrey Lords
John Fredricks
Etc.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2018/01/12/don-lemon-cut-mic-panel-ctn.cnn

Back