Fashion designer uses only Asian models at New York Fashion Week show

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
New Zealand born designer Claudia Li used only East Asian models for her NYFW show, to promote diversity.

"In a historic moment during New York Fashion Week, Claudia Li‘s Spring 2019 show featured an all Asian model cast. This is a monumental step forward in fashion’s diversity movement.

As an Asian designer, Li felt it was the right time to do this. “People are starting to realize that there is diversity within the Asian group…not just a single…perspective [or] kind of beauty” says Li to Yahoo Lifestyle. Li grew up in New Zealand where she was “surrounded by the mountains, fields of flowers and low-lying clouds,” but she was still a minority in this vast sea of nature. Nor did she represent the stereotypical version of how western society views Asian people."

Article below
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fas...dels-historic-nyfw-runway-show-213454874.html

Pics below
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fas...dels-historic-nyfw-runway-show-213454874.html

-

What I don't get is that she says she wanted to express the diversity of Asians, but going by the pics there are no South Asians, or hapa looking central Asians and doesn't look like there are any dark skinned South East Asians either. All the models are fair and seem to have narrow noses. It looks like (on the surface) Li is carrying on the Asian preference for fair skinned persons and prejudice against tanned South East Asians.

Judging from the pics she chose mostly Chinese who look the same with similar faces and are hard to tell apart yet claims she wanted to promote Diversity in Asians

0cc795a93be04821979d0fc88a7acf5e

46b5d69a6f94a332a9ab047dbc159b3d

6555128cb3885f1116b8854b52a9fb1c

I think she should be able to hire whoever she wants.

Judging from the pics she chose mostly Chinese who look the same with similar faces and are hard to tell apart yet claims she wanted to promote Diversity in Asians

Nah.

Most of those chicks look like extras on Full Metal Jacket! Gross!

The Chinese are easily the closest people on earth to reaching the singularity.

What I don't get is that she says she wanted to express the diversity of Asians, but going by the pics there are no South Asians, or hapa looking central Asians and doesn't look like there are any dark skinned South East Asians either. All the models are fair and seem to have narrow noses. It looks like (on the surface) Li is carrying on the Asian preference for fair skinned persons and prejudice against tanned South East Asians.

I just took like 30 seconds to look at some of the models and several of them were darker skinned Asians and they have all different types of features.

Is there anything you guys won't complain about?

Mmmm... asians..... approve

They don't all look the same though. At all

I just took like 30 seconds to look at some of the models and several of them were darker skinned Asians and they have all different types of features.

Is there anything you guys won't complain about?
I see some who are a bit tanned but not really dark and none really look like dark skinned S.E.A. people.

It isn't complaining to point out that while typically MidEasterners, South and East Asians will point out the racism in the West, they ( the dominant groups of the regions) are a heckva lot more racist than the West.

New Zealand born designer Claudia Li used only East Asian models for her NYFW show, to promote diversity.

"In a historic moment during New York Fashion Week, Claudia Li‘s Spring 2019 show featured an all Asian model cast. This is a monumental step forward in fashion’s diversity movement.

As an Asian designer, Li felt it was the right time to do this. “People are starting to realize that there is diversity within the Asian group…not just a single…perspective [or] kind of beauty” says Li to Yahoo Lifestyle. Li grew up in New Zealand where she was “surrounded by the mountains, fields of flowers and low-lying clouds,” but she was still a minority in this vast sea of nature. Nor did she represent the stereotypical version of how western society views Asian people."

Article below

Pics below

-

So basically white people looking asians like Koreans

I see some who are a bit tanned but not really dark and none really look like dark skinned S.E.A. people.

It isn't complaining to point out that while typically MidEasterners, South and East Asians will point out the racism in the West, they ( the dominant groups of the regions) are a heckva lot more racist than the West.

Lol, wait this whole thread was meant to somehow accuse Asians of racism based on the false premise that they only used light skinned Asians?

Look at the pictures again. Lots of dark skinned Asians in those pictures. I don't understand what you're seeing, but I'm going to guess it's being clouded by some agenda.

None of them really look like dark skinned South East Asians.

Yeah, there's none of the really dark groups, but there is a lot of diversity in appearance (including in skin tone).
Especially compared to what you'd typically see with South Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese or Thai models.

Yikes so this is what they call model material now, she did Asians a disservice with these women they look like they came straight outta the sweatshop malnourished, oily skin and frowning looks.

Where are the Hispanic asians or Dutch asians?

Back