Favorite Coen Brothers Movie

No Country.

The only one I disliked was O brother.

4jMaX_s-200x150.gif

I absolutely love O Brother. There are so many fun characters to meet throughout.

Obviously Everett, Delmar, and Pete
Tommy the guitar player who sold his soul to the devil
Wash Hogwallop whose wife R-U-N-N-O-F-T
BIg Dan Teague with the eye patch
Pappy O'Daniel
Homer Stokes the racist
Vernon T Waldrip who's bona fide
George Babyface Nelson

Plus the soundtrack is amazing

FoKtcu3.gif

coen brothers fucking suck. it's like mandatory for you to be a 40 year old drunken white dude to enjoy their shit. it's like if the band tool were directors instead of overrated musicians.

no country for old men is one of the shittiest films of all time.

big lebowski was alright though.....

Says the guy with an ICP avatar...

blood simple isn't just my favorite coen brothers movie, it's probably in my top-five of all-time.

I actually have this framed in my home office.

Gabz-Fargo-Poster-Movie-Regular.jpg

^ That's pretty sweet. I like that it has the characters' names. Frances McDormand as Marge Gunderson, etc.

Lebowski, No country, lewyn davis, burn

At the risk of getting flamed I'll throw this out there. I don't really care for their more overtly comedic films. Raising Arizona is the only film of theirs I don't like even a little bit. Also didn't really like O Brother or Burn After Reading (more like Burn After Watching). The Hudsucker Proxy was ok. I like The Big Lebowski, but mostly due to it being such an absurd noir parody, and it's still lesser Coen Bros to me.

My favorites are the more serious ones (Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Inside Llewyn Davis) or those that combine drama and comedy (Barton Fink, Fargo, A Serious Man)

O Brother, Where Art Thou? followed closely by No Country for Old Men.

Love their newer movies more, feel like they've gotten even better and I was already a big fan of all their earlier movies esp raising Arizona

My favorites are hail caesar, inside llewyn, and a serious man. Not just my fav coen bro movies but some of my favorite movies overall

1. No Country for Old Men

2. Barton Fink

3. O, Brother, Where Art Thou?

4jMaX_s-200x150.gif

I absolutely love O Brother. There are so many fun characters to meet throughout.

Obviously Everett, Delmar, and Pete
Tommy the guitar player who sold his soul to the devil
Wash Hogwallop whose wife R-U-N-N-O-F-T
BIg Dan Teague with the eye patch
Pappy O'Daniel
Homer Stokes the racist
Vernon T Waldrip who's bona fide
George Babyface Nelson

Plus the soundtrack is amazing

FoKtcu3.gif
I still often refer to myself as paterfamilias lol

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. No Country for Old Men

At the risk of getting flamed I'll throw this out there. I don't really care for their more overtly comedic films. Raising Arizona is the only film of theirs I don't like even a little bit. Also didn't really like O Brother or Burn After Reading (more like Burn After Watching). The Hudsucker Proxy was ok. I like The Big Lebowski, but mostly due to it being such an absurd noir parody, and it's still lesser Coen Bros to me.

My favorites are the more serious ones (Blood Simple, Miller's Crossing, Inside Llewyn Davis) or those that combine drama and comedy (Barton Fink, Fargo, A Serious Man)

I do always get the sense that they plan "first class" and "second class" films in terms of ambition, Lebowski as you say isn't just overt comedy but absurdist noir with I think considerably more ambition than something like Burn After Reading.

I wonder whether the lesser films act as more of a stop gap whilst their working on the script/pre production of the greater ones? Maybe explain how they've kept up their form down the years getting over writters block with time and other work inbetween.

Again though I did find Hail Ceaser! recently to be more interesting, maybe because it was more just a series of sketches, the Rabbi, Ralph Fiennes director and the camp sailors musicial pisstake were all excellent.

Last edited:
Back