Favorite Coen Brothers Movie

I absolutely love O Brother. There are so many fun characters to meet throughout.

(...)

Plus the soundtrack is amazing

Yeah, I hate the soundtrack, probably part of why I didn't like the movie. Just can't get into that type of music.

Have the same problem with Blues Brothers (btw)

TBL. Still holding out for their smut debut.

betty-blue-movie-poster-1986-1020238154.jpg

The directors cut especially is very Coenish full of oldball characters and side plots, indeed you could argue that whilst the Coens started earlier this predates there classic style.

betty-blue-movie-poster-1986-1020238154.jpg

The directors cut especially is very Coenish full of oldball characters and side plots, indeed you could argue that whilst the Coens started earlier this predates there classic style.
Never seen it. Will watch!

Never seen it. Will watch!

Basically if the Coens did an explicite french bohemian drama in the 1980's, again moreso the directors cut.

Growing up as a schoolboy in the early 90's I naturally saw it well before any of their films. <45>

Last edited:
hard to pick just one, I love most if not all of their movies, but i think top two is No Country and Fargo, 3 Raising Arizona and then 4. The big Lebowski

Last edited:
The movies I have watched:

Fargo - 1/10
No Country for Old Men - 4/10
The Big Lebowski - 1/10
O Brother, Where Art Thou? - 1/10
True Grit - 7/10

Fargo - 1/10
The Big Lebowski - 1/10
True Grit - 7/10

Is that rated in gunfights out of 10?

Miller's Crossing

John Polito made that movie memorable.

Miller's Crossing

John Polito made that movie memorable.

Gabriel Byrne though for me is THE classic example of someone born to play one role, indeed when Millers didn't really take off Singer got away with casting him in pretty much the same role in Usual Suspects and reaped the rewards.

Gabriel Byrne though for me is THE classic example of someone born to play one role, indeed when Millers didn't really take off Singer got away with casting him in pretty much the same role in Usual Suspects and reaped the rewards.
I agree Byrne was brilliant, but when I think of that movie, I remember "I'm sick of the High Hat!" and "Always put one in the brain!"

I wonder whether the lesser films act as more of a stop gap whilst their working on the script/pre production of the greater ones? Maybe explain how they've kept up their form down the years getting over writters block with time and other work inbetween.
Well I know that they were having trouble during the writing process for Miller's Crossing, and they took a break to write Barton Fink, but the latter film is also very ambitious.
Again though I did find Hail Ceaser! recently to be more interesting, maybe because it was more just a series of sketches, the Rabbi, Ralph Fiennes director and the camp sailors musicial pisstake were all excellent.
I'll check it out someday. Any film by them is worth a watch.

Basically if the Coens did an explicite french bohemian drama in the 1980's, again moreso the directors cut.

Growing up as a schoolboy in the early 90's I naturally saw it well before any of their films. <45>
Sold. So how many chicks should I have over and how much wine should I pour?

Fargo - 1/10
The Big Lebowski - 1/10
True Grit - 7/10
You are a lost soul

Back