Favorite Concert/Show

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What was your favorite concert or show you have been to?

My top pick would be The Misfits at the Recher Theater in Towson, MD - August 13, 2000

Honorable mentions...
David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar at the Nissan Pavilion in Bristow, VA - August 16, 2002
The Dropkick Murphy's at the Bottle & Cork in Dewey Beach, DE - August 8, 2007
Social Distortion at The Strand in Providence, RI - October 23, 2004
The Superbowl of Hardcore at the Capital Ballroom in Washington, DC - December 28, 1996

Last edited:
Prince at Allstate Arena in Rosemont, IL July 23, 2004

Honorable Mentions

John Paul Jones (Zooma tour) at Park West Chicago, IL March 25, 2000
Ministry at Lollapalooza World Music Theater Tinley Park, IL August 02, 1992
John Lee Hooker at Fleadh Festival Arlington International Racecourse Arlington, IL June 22 1998
Phish at Deer Creek Music Center Noblesville IN July 11, 2000
Liquid Tension Experiment at Park West Chicago, IL June 25, 2008

Hard to narrow down a top 10 really but Prince is definitely #1.

Best festival by a long shot was Caribbean Holidaze in Runaway Bay Jamaica in December of 2007 with The Disco Biscuits, Umphrey's McGee, Mad Professor and several other artists over 5 days between 2 resorts with a stage on the beach. Best time ever!

Mine was probably warped tour 2004. So many great punk bands

Alkaline Trio
Anti Flag
Atmosphere (not punk, but awesome, even though I didn't like rap as a junior in HS)
Bad Religion
NOFX
Flogging Molly
The Vandals
The Casulaties
Rise Against
Bouncing Souls
The Fuckups
YellowCard

As far as fest's go, it's a tie between hellfest 2004 and this is hardcore 2014.
In 04, to see bane, unearth, the red chord, the hope conspiracy and my all time fave shai hulud, at 18 years old was unforgettable.

10 years later I went to TIHC and saw backtrack, rotting out, death threat, incendiary, and converge and many others.

I went by myself and spent 4 days there and met people from all over the world. One of the best experiences ever.

I'm old now but every show I go to is special.

I flew from CT to CA for rotting outs last show. I was finally able to see ruiner at TIHC and then drove to Baltimore to see them again. I saw a bunch of old dudes known as "siege" play to maybe a 100 people. Shit, back in 02 I saw killswitch engages second show with Howard jones on vocals in Hartford.

Yeah I can't pick one. At 31 years old, I've seen countless bands. Everyone was had a meaning and was a favorite for one reason or another.

Saw Streetlight Manifesto last night, great concert. So hard to pick an all time favorite for me so I'll go with the last 3 shows I seen and enjoyed

sitb2017splasha.jpg
17310241_1246017398838570_8150403875904300885_o.jpg
rockfest_2.jpg

Seeing Roger Waters in October can't wait since his The Wall concert was amazing

Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer in that order at the Pearl at the Palms Feb 26th, 2010. Joey Belladonna was back for Anthrax. There was very little talking between songs and a lot were back to back. Nothing but thrash.
I still get goosebumps.

I always forget Rockin the Hills June 26-28, 1998 in Bottineau, ND
Friday
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Kansas
Loverboy
Molly Hatchet

Saturday

Ann Wilson
Badfinger
Blue Öyster Cult
Cheap Trick
Heart
John Kay & Steppenwolf
The Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Sunday
Firehouse
L.A. Guns
Quiet Riot
Slaughter
Warrant

Last edited:
Rammstein: 2001 Mutter tour in Columbus,Ohio at the Newport Music Hall ..full pyro in such a small venue I still can't believe they approved that.

Offspring: 2014 Summer Nationals Tour. The Offspring have been the band I've had around me basically my whole life. They were the first band my best friend and I "found" when Smash came out and were also the first band my younger brother and I connected on when he first started listening to music. This was the tour was the 20th anniversary of Smash and they played it all the way through. Add Bad Religion,Pennywise and The Vandals at the openers and it made for an amazing evening.

Ventana/Circus of Dead Squirrels: 2011 Operation Humanity Tour. Two bands that are pretty underground but are amazing live with their theatrics and energy live. A couple friends and I caught this tour 3 straight nights.

Saw that Offspring smash replay tour, great stuff. Last time I saw em they replayed Exnai on the Ombrez. Really enjoy bands picking an older album out of they're repertoire and playing live front to back.

Think I'd list Neil Young as my all time favorite concert. Went and saw Neil with my dad, bought him the ticket as compensation for all his Neil CD's I'd borrowed growing up. 3h set with Crazy Horse Alchemy tour 2012.

My dad brought me to see the Pink Floyd Division Bell tour and a bunch of others so was really nice to finally be the one paying for tickets for these good times

Rancid 1994 - AFI opened for them. Was really excited to see them but it was winter and that morning I started getting a fever and by concert time I was a sniffling mess. Still had fun

Metallica 1989 - And Justice For All Tour. Great show.

Warped tour 2000 - was fun time and they actually had great punk bands (not the neo metal pedo bands they have now), ended up drinking a lot and hanging out backstage towards the end of the day.

Social Distorion 1997 - First time seeing them and it was a blast.

The Gaslight Anthem April 2009. Went with two buddies of mine and was the last time I truely hung out with my friend Adam before he passed away that fall.

Iron Maiden 7th Son of a 7th Son tour - Young band by the name of G-n-R opened for them. IMO Maiden kicked their ass but it was cool to see g-n-r before the got big.

Suicide Machines - 98. Small club, fun times.

*Forgot to add Iron Maiden World Slavery Tour 84. I was too young to really remember it though.

I have so many but I narrowed it down to a top 5.

My top 5, in no particular order:

1. Shpongle - Los Angeles, March 2015 - Simon Posford brought the entire live band to play a show in LA and it was absolutely amazing. I had a couple party favors beforehand and the show was just amazing.

2. Cypress Hill's Smoke Out Tour - San Bernardino, July 2010 - The festival featured Atmosphere, Nas and Damian Marley, Incubus, Cypress Hill, Manu Chao, Basement Jaxx, and ended the night with Deadmau5. I was given VIP tickets and access to this tour and it was one of the best days of my life. High all day and drinking champagne about 20 feet from the stage. Couldn't have asked for a better time.

3. Atmosphere - San Diego, June 2013 - Front row for my favorite hip hop group ever. Met Slug and Ant before the show and met cool people that became friends. Unbelievable experience.

4. Giant Robot - Downtown Disneyland, 2004 - Giant Robot was Buckethead, Brain, and Butthouse. Really awesome show.

5. Queens of the Stone Age - Los Angeles, 2002 - Right when Songs For The Deaf came out I got to see them. Original line up with Dave Grohl on drums. Really lucky to have seen them play with Oliveri before he was kicked out of the band.

The Ramones
Saw then in Petaluma one night, they were so good I went to see them the next night in a really small club in San Fran the next night. They were even better the 2nd night, I think it was because of how small the club was and the energy that filled such a small space.
Honarable mention was a techno party in San Diego that at the last minute the space got bought out by Mtv for an event since they were doing some show shit down on the beach. Because we already had tickets they let us in. Were plenty of celebs and shit. All the members of the Wu tang clan got in this little ass dj both and started passing around the mic. This is right before 36 chambers was released and nobody knew who they were. For about an hour and a half they tore shit up, from that moment I knew they would be huge.
Living in the US during the 90s I was blown away by the bands I saw, was quite an eye opener for this little Aussie.

Kanye & Lupe Fiasco on the glow in the dark tour.
The Clash in Detroit on the Combat Rock tour.

Ozzfest 97 was special because it was the only time I got to see Pantera. Just wish I was in the pit for that show but didn't have that kind of money as a teenager.

One of the better shows I've seen was 2005 Ozzfest. Black Sabbath headlined that and I caught a guitar pick from Iommi. Caught one from Slash at the end of the GNR show last year. Hit in the head with a drumstick by BLS several years ago. It spit in two and I kept the other piece (the drumstick, my head is still intact)

Admittedly haven't seen a lot of artists
But for me I'd say Anthrax, TOOL, QOTSA, and Judas Priest. With TOOL being my favorite.

Best concert - Metallica, 1989 Houston Coliseum w/Queensryche opening, ...And Justice For All tour. Great show and the last twenty or-so minutes were complete chaos with the floor seats torn-up and piled into several piles upon which people were attempting to mosh/dance/go insane on...

Other great shows I've seen - Slayer, Motorhead, and Overkill on the SoH tour at Club NRG here in Houston. Ozzy and Motley Crue in 84 at the old Summit, Bark At The Moon/Shout At The Devil tour. Iron Maiden with WASP 85 at the Summit, Powerslave tour - the Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son shows were great, too. Clash of the Titans with Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax - walked-in and had no idea who this opening band named Alice In Chains was...six months later they were everywhere and I wish I'd caught their whole set.

Saw Rammstein a few years ago in Chicago, one of the best single performances. Between the Buried and Me playing "Colors" was amazing, and playing "The Great Misdirect" was also amazing. Gwar's original lineup was always a good time. But best show, probably Cannibal Corpse, The Faceless, Obscura and Neuraxis in 08. Just technical and brutal, Obscura was so good and CC ripped faces off!

Back