Favorite Set-ups for Body Punches?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Okay, so I went to my boxing gym on friday and sparred a little, but each time I would try and go to the body, I would be super lazy(or really slow) and get jabbed (or something else) in the face each time, lol.

I know I was feeling a little sluggish, but how do you suggest to target the body (in boxing only)? Use more jabs, feint more?

I am a fan of the lead right to the body and body hooks, too, but I focus a lot on moving in and out, trying to use effective footwork and drawing out attacks, rather than standing still, slipping and in a close range etc. But what are your favorite ways of getting there?

Thoughts?

I do more Muay Thai ham boxing but I try to time the jab and slip it and throw a shovel hook sometimes I also just set it up with a double jab cross then I hook the liver but I’m pretty new at this so I’m a work in progress lol

It's easiest for most when the other guy is cornered and shelling up from combos to the head. That's when you'll see it most

There are other times but I'm not an expert in that area

Some of my favourites, assuming orthodox vs. orthodox:
  • Tap left hook to the head, rip left hook to the body. (I use this a lot, have confidence in it and have successfully done it on all types of guys bigger or smaller than me so it's something that just suits my style and build)
  • Mix up jabs to the head and body, then start feinting either up or down and commit to the opposite. When they get sensitive to your feints, feint upstairs and jab to the stomach. Also straight up just looking them in the eyes and jabbing to the stomach.
  • Double jab, and right hook to the body.
And a simple combination rule of thumb you can try is doing 3 punches that follow this simple rule: head, body, head.

As far as getting there, the longer ranged I am the more I tend to rely on straight punches to the body, the jab being the primary one. I also like to throw reaction straight rights to the body at long range off a counter.

At mid and close range I think it's important to circle, pivot, employ lateral movement and tee off on the body on that particular side to take advantage of the angle and them having to adjust. I also like to use a high guard and push off tactic to get them off balance (but I do muay thai so I'm not sure how frowned upon pushing is).

In orthodox vs. southpaw, pivoting/turning to the southie's left (your right) in close and mid range covets you a nice opening to their left side.

Last edited:
My boy that I use to train with in NYC, he was a karate kickboxer but the instructor focused more on boxing for him, for a while as he told me. So when he would be sparring no matter it was boxing or kickboxing. So what he would do was a rhythm manipulation. He would start off with a jab then change levels to the body, and sometimes he would come up top with a hook or a right hand. Then angle out of the way.

Sometimes he would hit a 1-1-right hand to the body, angle out and come up with a right hand.

And he would throw a 1-3 and go to the side and throw a 2 to the head.

All combinations that will help, you should play around with it a bit, practice stepping to the side when slipping, and duck under helps a lot. And since your already have the in and out movement it should be easier for you.

Okay, so I went to my boxing gym on friday and sparred a little, but each time I would try and go to the body, I would be super lazy(or really slow) and get jabbed (or something else) in the face each time, lol.

I know I was feeling a little sluggish, but how do you suggest to target the body (in boxing only)? Use more jabs, feint more?

I am a fan of the lead right to the body and body hooks, too, but I focus a lot on moving in and out, trying to use effective footwork and drawing out attacks, rather than standing still, slipping and in a close range etc. But what are your favorite ways of getting there?

Thoughts?
Go head hunting for a while then throw feints. The body will hopefully open up.

Jab body hook, or parry Jab, Jab over than step off to bodyhook. From Southpaw Stance.

Try dipping jabs. That said, doubling up on left/lead hooks (head then body) works very well.

Just change levels, get them to protect their head with a 1-2, then rip the body with a left hook and follow with a right low kick.... Then circle out

Thoughts?

lead right? so your southpaw then? Southpaw or orthodox dont matter, this will sound too easy or simple, but you need to go up top before you rip the body. The shot up top doesnt need to be hard or even land, just a distraction.

If your a southpaw, the one I'd recommend is a step outside your opponents lead foot while throwing an uppercut to the body, then pivoting and throwing a right hook to the head.

Well if you get tagged when body punching it looks like you are getting predictable mostly. Happens to me often as I like body jabs, lead right body against a SP to counter his jab or right hook, and double jab body right.

Body jabs are easy to land and are quite defensive but often the distance one throws them is.too long thus easy to get countered.

Same with the double jab - right to the body. You have to have the.distance well nailed so they are afraid of a head cross and you have an easy cross to the body, otherwise you may eat a nasty counter.

My nastiest counter was once when I was going for a jab cross jab. I got lazy and did not have a good distance and a SP landed a heavy cross on me going up from that body cross. Almost dropped my jaw.

Well if you get tagged when body punching it looks like you are getting predictable mostly. Happens to me often as I like body jabs, lead right body against a SP to counter his jab or right hook, and double jab body right.

Body jabs are easy to land and are quite defensive but often the distance one throws them is.too long thus easy to get countered.

Same with the double jab - right to the body. You have to have the.distance well nailed so they are afraid of a head cross and you have an easy cross to the body, otherwise you may eat a nasty counter.

My nastiest counter was once when I was going for a jab cross jab. I got lazy and did not have a good distance and a SP landed a heavy cross on me going up from that body cross. Almost dropped my jaw.

Yes I think that by not using the same combos, not telegraphing punches and switching your punching rythm you can avoid counters.

Just change levels, get them to protect their head with a 1-2, then rip the body with a left hook and follow with a right low kick.... Then circle out
The level change is fundamental to good body punching. I found that when I improved my ducking/rolling it opened up a lot more effective body punching (boxing).

Hard to beat a shot upstairs and then flashing them something that painful in the bread basket.
For me that’s usually a stiff jab or long hook followed by a right to the body. For quickness I rely on the straight but I have been working on getting a digging right uppercut. Since the mechanics are the same it’s not too hard but I am approaching old dog status and new tricks are becoming hard to learn.
Also if you are going against a more squared up dude, I found that the right hook to the body is usually there especially if they are trying to shell up or move up top from the back and not the waist.

My dream combo right now is the right upper cut body, pivot and then left uppercut body/left hook head.

Back