Favorite Wrestling Program/Angle?

catchwrestle

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What was your favorite wrestling program or angle that stand out? We get so many formulaic feuds over the years but some stick out. To me the build is the bulk of what makes a program good. It's what we remember years later. The Some of my Favorites over the years:

Ricky Steamboat vs The Dangerous Alliance - I hated Rick Rude as a kid but looking back I can see what a genius he was. I think he did his best work around this time, plus Jessie the Body did a great job as a heel commentator putting over the Dangerous Alliance. Steamboat accidentally hit Medusa and they beat the crap out of him so bad. I though they had snapped and crossed the line and really hurt him. Then when he finally healed up and returned for the match it was electric.

Sting vs Hollywood Hogan - not much explanation needed. Stalking from the rafters, not sure who's side he was on. Then the night he finally cut loose and beat back the whole NWO without the bat still gives me chills to watch today. Then the worst payoff in wrestling history at starcade '97 had to happen.

Steiner vs Goldberg - both seemed like they couldn't care less about authority or Head of Security Doug Dillenger. Wild backstage fights. Supper stiff action in every match they had that not many men would be able to stand up against. Steiner wrestling with the broken nose and mask. I loved it all

Steiner vs HHH - They kept them apart perfectly. No matches, no tag match, nothing official until the PPV, but they build the anticipation with all of the contests before. People crap on the match but what I remember first is HHH so calm chewing that gum at the beginning, a ton of suplexes, Steiner's fall, and him standing over HHH with the belt draped across him at the end. Great build.

Daniel Bryan vs HHH/Randy Orton - Not sure if smarks were trolling WWE or if they were trolling us. It just felt so organic. Great underdog / B plus player story. The payoff was perfect. Standing in the Superdome with 85,000 fans all yelling YES in unison at the end of the night was amazing.

What are your favs?

Hart/Michaels because it was one of the few ever that genuinely felt like a shoot.

Bossman had some gems in the last WWF run.

Mach/Flair leading up to Mania 8 was fun.

Steiner vs HHH - They kept them apart perfectly. No matches, no tag match, nothing official until the PPV, but they build the anticipation with all of the contests before. People crap on the match but what I remember first is HHH so calm chewing that gum at the beginning, a ton of suplexes, Steiner's fall, and him standing over HHH with the belt draped across him at the end. Great build.

you might be one of 5 people who enjoyed this lol

Triple H vs. Sting.

I kid.

Doi Darts in Dragon Gate. Every year it's hilarious

- Bret Hart vs Stone Cold

- HBK vs Diesel

- HBK vs Marty Jannetty

- Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper

- Hogan vs Macho Man

- Rock vs Austin

- Rock vs Mankind

- Rock vs HHH

- Austin vs Mcmahon

- Edge vs Christian

- Bret Hart vs Owen Hart

- Flair vs Savage

- Flair vs Steamboat

- Undertaker vs Kane

So many more but those are off the top of my head

Last edited:
Hogan vs Savage over Elizabeth was a perfect build and pay off.

Hogan vs Sting had a perfect build but fucked up pay off.

More recently - Jericho vs KO.

When I was a young fella I liked the Jake Roberts vs Rick Martel angle.

Rick blinds Jake Roberts with his Arrogance perfume on the Brother Love show. Although Jakes eyes were “badly damaged” this stunt ultimately bit Martel in the ass. Both men were booked to face off at WM 7 in a blindfold match.

Sure the wrestling in the ring didn’t matter as this match was pure psychology. When Jake pointed to Martel the fans went nuts, encouraging Jake to follow that path. As a kid it brought you into the match.

This was an angle that could have been terrible but because the booking included Jake and Rick it was a success

Macho Man Vs Ricky Steamboat

It all started when Macho Man crushed Ricky’s throat with the ring bell during the TV taping of Superstars of Wrestling. Ricky was so badly injured it took many men, including a few of the wrestlers and a stretcher to clear Steamboat from ringside. This was the set up for one of the greatest matches of all time and a classic feud between two of the best.

Why this angle was so great because it was basically built off promos. Ricky’s wife and doctor both called Mean Gene regarding steamboats condition. The fans aware of all this build up along the way. Then in a huge moment on Saturday Night Main Event Steamboat made his come back to save his friend George the Animal Stelle from suffering the same fate that bestowed him by the hands of the Macho Man. He saved his friend from the ring bell attack.

The fans saw Ricky fighting his way back from a “serious” injury while giving emotional promos where he could barely say a few words. This built to WM 3 where Ricky would win the Intercontinental title from Savage in one of the greatest matches of all time.

Intercontinental Champion Razor Ramon vs "real" Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels. Two great performers, a return, legitimacy to the heel claim, one of the best blow off matches of all time.

Austin vs Rock trading the IC title back and forth. Rock takes over The Nation. Austin throws the belt off a bridge. "When that pager reads '316,' that means your ass belongs to me."

Diamond Dallas Page's rise to prominence as "The People's Champion." Coming out of the crowd. Stalking the NWO. La Parka disguise.
(Smells Like Teen Spirit started playing on my car radio as I typed this.)

Chris Jericho collecting trophies as WCW Cruiserweight champ, taunting the injured Dean Malenko all the while.

Eddie Guerrero's "tutelage" of Chavo with the T-shirts that read, "Eddie Guerrero is my favorite wrestler" on the front and "Cheat to win" on the back. I so wanted one of those shirts.

DDP vs Raven helped bring Page to the top of the mid-card. Established the Raven character for WCW audiences. Great psychology as they both talked about their history under the wing of Jake the Snake.

Rock vs Cena I. Two of the best promo guys in history doing the real life talk between them. Its a hell of a feud that can get Cena some babyface heat with hardcore fans vs an Attitude era icon.

So sue me but I thought Disco being indebted to the mob and the introduction of FBI 2.0/The Mamalukes in WCW was great. So was Goldust and Booker as the reluctant odd couple and Positively Kanyon doing the cutter out of nowhere on random people.

Intercontinental Champion Razor Ramon vs "real" Intercontinental Champion Shawn Michaels. Two great performers, a return, legitimacy to the heel claim, one of the best blow off matches of all time.

Austin vs Rock trading the IC title back and forth. Rock takes over The Nation. Austin throws the belt off a bridge. "When that pager reads '316,' that means your ass belongs to me."

Diamond Dallas Page's rise to prominence as "The People's Champion." Coming out of the crowd. Stalking the NWO. La Parka disguise.

Chris Jericho collecting trophies as WCW Cruiserweight champ, taunting the injured Dean Malenko all the while.

Eddie Guerrero's "tutelage" of Chavo with the T-shirts that read, "Eddie Guerrero is my favorite wrestler" on the front and "Cheat to win" on the back. I so wanted one of those shirts.

DDP vs Raven helped bring Page to the top of the mid-card. Established the Raven character for WCW audiences. Great psychology as they both talked about their history under the wing of Jake the Snake.

Rock vs Cena I. Two of the best promo guys in history doing the real life talk between them. Its a hell of a feud that can get Cena some babyface heat with hardcore fans vs an Attitude era icon.

So sue me but I thought Disco being indebted to the mob and the introduction of FBI 2.0/The Mamalukes in WCW was great. So was Goldust and Booker as the reluctant odd couple and Positively Kanyon doing the cutter out of nowhere on random people.

These are all great and ones I forgot to mention. I think i'll edit mine later and provide some sort of synopsis for each one

Steve-Austin-Gets-Hit-By-Car.jpg

tumblr_nvxghnm2y41qec8dto1_250.gif

hell.png

I liked a lot of what Disco did too. Never meant to be top notch stuff but usually unique and entertaining.

"Cheat to win" was gold too

This is awesome. WCW creative was on point with this one. Love the premise of Vader luring Sting into some mystical location in the mountains so he can challenge him to a game of tug-o-war. Were marks supposed to believe this was legit?

I liked a lot of what Disco did too. Never meant to be top notch stuff but usually unique and entertaining.

"Cheat to win" was gold too

Forgetting how to do his new leglock.
The mysterious benefactor (never revealed.)
Cutting weight for the cruiserweight division.

Disco had some good stuff.

Back