FBI arrests 4 assistant basketball coaches on fraud charges

I don't believe that. In state tuition and board at A&M is $25,000 per year.

Ask me how I know

*cries*

You are correct. I searched for a 4 year cost but it was actually a one year at $41,048 for out of State and $26,028 for in State. No wonder schools need to get big money from the teams. $164,194 for 4 years.

It's just starting....

Alabama director of basketball operations resigns after internal review
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...ball-operations-resigns-after-internal-review

Wednesday night, Alabama athletics director Greg Byrne announced that he had accepted the resignation of Kobie Baker, the school’s director of basketball operations. Baker, who was entering his third season with the Tide, had previously worked for the NCAA as an assistant director of enforcement. Baker’s resignation came after Alabama had conducted an internal review of its basketball program.

“Following yesterday’s reports from New York regarding a Federal investigation of intercollegiate athletics, The University of Alabama Department of Athletics immediately initiated an internal review of our men’s basketball operation,” Byrne said in a statement. “As a result, we have accepted the resignation effective today of Kobie Baker, a men’s basketball administrator. Our review has not identified any NCAA or SEC rules violations nor the involvement of any other coach or staff member. We have notified both of the governing bodies of the actions we have taken. As always, we will continue to be proactive in our compliance efforts.”

After pulling in a surprising top-10 recruiting class headlined by five-star point guard Collin Sexton, head coach Avery Johnson appears to have a top-25 caliber team heading into his third season.

On Tuesday, Johnson was asked about the news of the FBI probe.

"When I saw that news ... obviously, man," Johnson said. “It's pretty interesting. But I don't have any comments about it. I don't know the details or the ins or outs of it or what happened. It's not my place to make a comment on it. But obviously when I saw the news, I was taken aback."

Last edited:
Arizona basketball: Wildcats allegedly offered a recruit $150,000 per FBI documents
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...-150000-fbi-documents-charges-book-richardson

Taped Phone Call - Universities/Names changed for the report

August 11, 2017: Call 2, part 1 — Code discussed with Gatto the involvement of Dawkins and Augustine in the scheme to facilitate payments to “Player-12” in order to secure “Player-12’s” commitment to attend “University-7”. Code explained that another Division 1 university “University-4” was offering “Player-12” $150,000. Code stated “and we’re trying to keep him from going to one of their (rival apparel company’s) schools”.

Code further went on to tell Gatto that Dawkins and Augustine had asked Code if Gatto “would be able to keep him at “University-7” because they really want the kid.” Gatto confirmed that “Player-12” would be a rising senior in high school, and Code assured Gatto that the payments need not be “all in one lump sum. I can make it work...” Code went on to tell Gatto that the situation was “not one of those where I need an answer today. You know what I’m saying? I just wanted to put it on your plate.”

Call 2, part 2 — Still on call 2, Gatto asked whether “Company-1” would “have to match the “University-4” deal?” Gatto went on to ask if the payments could be pushed to 2018, saying “if I have to pay it out in ‘18, that’s fine”, but “I just don’t know if I, I just don’t know if I can’ do anything in ‘17 that’s what I’m saying”.

Referring back to the “University-6” (Louisville) scheme involving “Player-10” (thought to be Brian Bowen), Gatto told Code that he should “try to get it to, what did we do with “Player-10”, a 100”, which the FBI believes to represent a $100,000 payment to “Player-10”. Code replied that he was not sure “they’ll take that much less if I can take it down at least twenty five” (25 likely representing a $25,000 reduction in payment to “Player-12”), to which Gatto replied “alright, well let’s just see.”

August 12, 2017 — A phone call between Code and Dawkins is recorded by the FBI wiretap. On this call, Code relayed to Dawkins the substance of the August 11th calls between Code and Gatto regarding payments by “Company-1” to “Player-12”, including Gatto’s request that Code negotiate the $150,00 asking price set by “Player-12”. According to Code, however, if “University-4” was willing to pay the full $150,000 “then that’s where the kid is going to go.”

Referring to Gatto’s statement about not having sufficient funds to pay “Player-12” in 2017, Code stated if “Company-1” waited until January 2018 to commit to a payment amount “by that point that number might be 200” indicating $200,000. Code added that “Company-1” “won’t play if it’s. . . at that level, we won’t play.”

Dawkins asked what would be the highest payment that Gatto and “Company-1” would agree to, to which Code replied “I think they do 150 [$150,000] if, if “Coach-3” stayed on it.”

Last edited:
dwane_casey.jpg.size_.xxlarge.promo_.jpg

I was thinking of Leron Ellis and Chris Mills.

This is pretty fucked. But tbh, I think NCAA players should be getting paid anyway.

Nike’s EYBL AAU league reportedly under FBI investigation, too
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...5138/nike-eybl-fbi-college-basketball-scandal

The FBI’s sprawling investigation into widespread corruption throughout college basketball was centered on the relationship between Adidas and Adidas-sponsored teams at the AAU and college level. That doesn’t mean other apparel companies and the programs they sponsor should get too comfortable.

The FBI is now summoning Nike employees to court as the next step in the investigation, according to a report.

Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation

Nike does have a connection to all of this: Merl Code, an Adidas employee arrested on Tuesday, formerly worked for Nike. Nike college programs like Arizona, Oklahoma State, and USC also had assistant coaches who were arrested and charged in the probe.

The EYBL is Nike’s grassroots league — and an attempt at a more structured circuit for elite basketball recruits. At least one recruit involved in the investigation played in the EYBL. That would be Brian Bowen, a McDonald’s All-American shooting guard whose family reportedly received $100K to attend Adidas-sponsored Louisville. Bowen played for the Meanstreets program on the EYBL.

This is pretty fucked. But tbh, I think NCAA players should be getting paid anyway.
The problem is you'd have to pay everyone equally in all the other non-revenue sports too. They already get a monthly stipend anyhow.

The problem is you'd have to pay everyone equally in all the other non-revenue sports too. They already get a monthly stipend anyhow.

Let them earn their own money outside of school. It's completely stupid that they can't.

The schools profit off their likeness, what's wrong if they get a commercial sponsorship with UA, Nike or Adidas?

I 100% agree that the school should not pay the athletes. Student tuition is already out of control.

But let them earn money anyway they can outside of school. It's dumb that they can't.

Let them earn their own money outside of school. It's completely stupid that they can't.

The schools profit off their likeness, what's wrong if they get a commercial sponsorship with UA, Nike or Adidas?

I 100% agree that the school should not pay the athletes. Student tuition is already out of control.

But let them earn money anyway they can outside of school. It's dumb that they can't.

Or at the extreeeeeeme least, when the NCAA makes money off of jerseys, licensing, etc, an earmarked percentage of the money goes into a non managed account for the player, set aside for after they graduate or turn pro. Executives making 100 percent of the money off the fruit's of other people's work is a pervasive problem in America, and the NCAA exemplifies the issue.

Or at the extreeeeeeme least, when the NCAA makes money off of jerseys, licensing, etc, an earmarked percentage of the money goes into a non managed account for the player, set aside for after they graduate or turn pro. Executives making 100 percent of the money off the fruit's of other people's work is a pervasive problem in America, and the NCAA exemplifies the issue.

As we determined earlier, the education they get is worth over $40k per year if they chose to use it. They should be allowed to sell their signatures and get paid to appear at businesses where they bring in buyers at an hourly wage.

Agree with you on the NBA. If a kid wants to take the risk and go directly to NBA, let him. If a kid wants play ball and get an education in case pro-ball doesn't work, let them do that too. But if they commit to college, make it a 2-3 year commitment. Because they may find that they aren't NBA material anyway and will really need that education.

The NFL is a little different. There are literally no High School kids developed enough to jump directly to the NFL. They would get killed. The system set up for the college FB is much better than the NBA.

Also, it's much harder to project if someone is able to play in NFL when they are 18. The differences in the game between High School, College and the NFL make even drafting college seniors a crap shoot. I bet less than 1% of college football players make the jump to the NFL. The other 99% are probably grateful for the college education.

It's much easier to tell if someone is ready for the NBA.

The dirty secret with NCAA basketball is that interest is way, way, way down from the pre-one & done era. Outside of March Madness, ratings are in the toilet. The basketball being played is awful for the most part and fans can't form attachments to the players.

If NCAA rosters were filled with players who actually want to be there and have played together for a few years, it seems it would be better for the game all around. Stop forcing these kids to play there when they have no desire to do so. It's a joke.

We need to stop calling these athletes "kids". When we do that, we state that they are not old enough to make their own decisions. We are saying the that coaches, agents, "consultants", and NCAA knows what's best for them. 18-23 year olds are adults in the eyes of the law, no matter how long it takes the brain to fully develop.

I still say that an 18 year old still should have the ability to declare themselves eligible for the NFL draft. If they are not ready to play, that's on the team....not on the athlete. Besides, the NFL team can certainly have the "future rights" to the prospect while they get better in the CFL, Europe, or even do a post-grad year at a private school in the US. Heck, they can get drafted and then use their first year on the team by working with trainers and the practice squad to get better.

I was thinking of Leron Ellis and Chris Mills.

Precisely what I was thinking of. I guess if the pic didnt land home then it just goes to show how clueless you are about the details, which is what i knew already after reading that comment

Last edited:
Precisely what I was thinking of. I guess if the pic didnt land home then it just goes to show how clueless you are about the details, which is what i knew already after reading that comment

Oh FFS you could forgive me for having a lapse in memory of a detail for something that happened 29 years ago when I was still in high school.

I'm Lucky that I can still remember the McCray brothers taking out UKLA in '80 and Never Nervous Pervis over the backcourt of Dawkins and Amaker.

@RR

Here is a list of top academic schools only. See if you can tell which schools are legit, which are slightly shady, and which are much worse than shady.

2_1.jpg

Now take a look at my .sig

They should just end the Louisville basketball program and Patino's coaching career already.
It's bigger than that. Hell, South Park openly mocks the entire NCAA in their cartoon, years ago, and everybody laughs at the joke-- because it's just too damn true not to laugh.

It feels like the reckoning for college sports is nigh.

Here is a list of top academic schools only. See if you can tell which schools are legit, which are slightly shady, and which are much worse than shady.

2_1.jpg

If Vanderbilt is really legit then they are hands down the P4P best sporting school in the nation.

If Vanderbilt is really legit then they are hands down the P4P best sporting school in the nation.

If you look at their football and basketball success you can tell that wins isn't a huge priority. In the SEC they are so far ahead of other schools it's hilarious. Florida is a good school but their sports are shady as shit. The rest of the SEC is just awful.

Rice is probably the least concerned with money from athletics.

THe University of Chicago won the national title in football in the 30s. Their chancellor identified the perils of placing success in athletics over academics in the 1930s (!?!?!) and they disbanded football.

2_1.jpg

Rice is no joke to get into. My stepson (now @ A&M), applied there and he was top 3% in his class... denied.

Back