FBI arrests 4 assistant basketball coaches on fraud charges

Rice is no joke to get into. My stepson (now @ A&M), applied there and he was top 3% in his class... denied.

Rice is definitely in the class of UChicago, Caltech, NU, and HYPSM. Most people don't know that, but it's true.

If Vanderbilt is really legit then they are hands down the P4P best sporting school in the nation.

P4P? Stanford usually wins the directors cup.

Director%27s-Cup-Billboard-website-template.jpg

sucks, Tony Bland was essentially the star player at SDSU when I was there after transferring from Syracuse. Went to the D League for a bit and didn't make it
presumably he got the job at USC as he's from LA and went to Fairfax HS
seemed like a decent dude back then

It's bigger than that. Hell, South Park openly mocks the entire NCAA in their cartoon, years ago, and everybody laughs at the joke-- because it's just too damn true not to laugh.

It feels like the reckoning for college sports is nigh.
I don't think so. If severe penalties are not doled out (death sentence) to these schools or the coaches are not found guilty, then it will go back to business as usual. The cost of doing business.

Or if the NCAA knew of this corruption, money laundering and such and didn't do anything about it, then yeah it could be the reckoning.

This whole thing is crazy. Sean Miller has been silent since the news came out. He has canceled a presser and is now canceling public appearances. My entire town's emotional state hinges on our college basketball team and everything is all out of whack right now. I love Miller but I love AZ basketball more. I honestly have no clue whats going to happen. There are crazy rumors floating around town that range from 'Miller will resign on Monday' to 'Miller's house was raided by the FBI' to 'everything is fine, the school is the victim and this is blown out of proportion.' Everyday I wake up like this....

giphy.gif

This whole thing is crazy. Sean Miller has been silent since the news came out. He has canceled a presser and is now canceling public appearances. My entire town's emotional state hinges on our college basketball team and everything is all out of whack right now. I love Miller but I love AZ basketball more. I honestly have no clue whats going to happen. There are crazy rumors floating around town that range from 'Miller will resign on Monday' to 'Miller's house was raided by the FBI' to 'everything is fine, the school is the victim and this is blown out of proportion.' Everyday I wake up like this....

Well, he'll always have his Tonight Show appearance as a kid.

Seems like this is gonna snowball quickly.

People shouldn't throw stones though, I'd all but guarantee you EVERY FBS school is breaking NCAA rules. Whether it be agents, coaches, assistant coaches, boosters, fans of the program, etc.

Could be faking their way through classes or paying them or a hundred other things.

And when it comes to getting paid it could be anything from straight paying players or maybe a car dealership giving dudes from the team a "job" and paying them like they work fulltime when they show up once a week to say hello and pick up their paycheck.

For example in football most people see Chris Petersen for my Huskies as a "clean" coach who runs about as clean as a program you get in high-level college football. But I was a student and saw players on campus driving around in new $50k+ cars, guys with diamond jewelry on display, etc. It's clear there is money coming from some source and I say this about my own school because I was there and saw it, even friends with a couple players who were in my major.

Fact is college sports have and always will be pay-to-play to a certain extent, it's been that way since it began just read the stories about Moses Malone recruitment from decades ago. Every recruiter in the country staying at the same hotel in his shitty hick town giving him cars and furniture, it's a joke.

Fact is college sports have and always will be pay-to-play to a certain extent, it's been that way since it began just read the stories about Moses Malone recruitment from decades ago. Every recruiter in the country staying at the same hotel in his shitty hick town giving him cars and furniture, it's a joke.

Moses went straight to the ABA from high school. Are you thinking of Marcus Dupree? His courtship was well documented.

FES5180098-2.jpg

Moses went straight to the ABA from high school. Are you thinking of Marcus Dupree? His courtship was well documented.

FES5180098-2.jpg
Yes he went to the ABA but he was still recruited heavily before he made that decision and got money, cars, furniture, etc. One of the reasons he chose pro is because his recruitment probably was one of the scummiest in history and might have been deemed ineligible for the NCAA.

You can read a lot of first-person accounts about it in the book “Loose Balls” a history of the ABA.

I think they said he got something like 120 offers and constant recruiters coming through town.

Here is a list of top academic schools only. See if you can tell which schools are legit, which are slightly shady, and which are much worse than shady.

2_1.jpg

Now take a look at my .sig

Surprised BC is on the list. Oddly enough, they tend to have the best athletes in the pros despite being terrible at sports.

Was trying to say "Surprised BC isn't on the list." My brain aint working too well this week.

Haha - welcome to brain atrophy, I've been here for about 3 yrs. Do you get out to BC games? It was only a ride on the green line T for me.

Haha - welcome to brain atrophy, I've been here for about 3 yrs. Do you get out to BC games? It was only a ride on the green line T for me.

I tend to go to more Harvard and Tufts events (I can literally throw a rock on Tufts' campus from my house) but usually get to a BC football game and a couple hockey games each year.

edit:
I tend to leave the state when I go to big events. I can usually piggyback off my friends' press pass to get in for free.

I tend to go to more Harvard and Tufts events (I can literally throw a rock on Tufts' campus from my house) but usually get to a BC football game and a couple hockey games each year.

North Cambridge I assume. The only Harvard event I went to was the HYP cross country meet. But that was at Franklin Park.

North Cambridge I assume. The only Harvard event I went to was the HYP cross country meet. But that was at Franklin Park.

Medford. I've been thinking about buying a house in Belmont or Arlington. It's been weird that banks I've talked to are willing to give me a 7 figure loan. The numbers are so ridiculous that it feels fake.

Medford. I've been thinking about buying a house in Belmont or Arlington. It's been weird that banks I've talked to are willing to give me a 7 figure loan. The numbers are so ridiculous that it feels fake.

Housing is a ponzi scheme -- you're always worried that you are the last money in.

Do you work in the city? Have you looked at Newton, Milton or Brookline, or are you fixed on being north of the Charles?

Housing is a ponzi scheme -- you're always worried that you are the last money in.

Do you work in the city? Have you looked at Newton, Milton or Brookline, or are you fixed on being north of the Charles?

I work right on the red line. It's a 10~15 min bike ride from where I live now, depending on how fast I can cross mass ave. Knowing the people that run the company though, I assume our next office will be in Lexington or Concord.

I haven't really been super serious about looking for a place. I like where I live now and it is quite cheap for the area. Just if something right pops up, I'd jump on it.

I work right on the red line. It's a 10~15 min bike ride from where I live now, depending on how fast I can cross mass ave. Knowing the people that run the company though, I assume our next office will be in Lexington or Concord.

I haven't really been super serious about looking for a place. I like where I live now and it is quite cheap for the area. Just if something right pops up, I'd jump on it.

Stick to the Red line. If you ever change jobs, the red line probably still works since it bisects downtown and the back bay, and touches the Seaport where all of that new dev is going on. I personally love big cities but hate driving in them. My preference is to live and work on transit lines.

Back