FDA proposes ban on menthol cigarettes and gets stricter on vaping

Its at firearm level, too prevalent to ban. I would say add a substantial federal sin tax to it, but cigs in the US are taxed to a point that the black market is massive (something like 50 percent of all cigs sold on place like NY are illegal)

So, its just something you have to accept at this point. Its also not the flavor thing that appeals to kids, they have a strong cool factor

I liked his post because I think that the European lower drinking age is much wiser and allows young men and women to learn how to drink with their adult relatives and parents in much safer environs than some seedy college bar.

Youth alcoholism is more prevalent in countries with lower drinking ages.

I have a hard time thinking of something that makes you look like more of a loser than vaping.

@IngaVovchanchyn too, since you agreed with that.

Nicotine and alcohol are drugs. I'm not sure how you got to the point of accusing me of misrepresenting you based on me saying they are, since it's just true.

We can discuss whether or not it would be helpful to change our entire culture as it relates to drinking, but that's a different discussion. Right now, I seem to be being called out for being accurate about alcohol and nicotine being drugs? That is genuinely confusing to me.

So you are saying kids should be allowed to drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes, but not use other drugs? Or are other drugs okay for kids too?

They are drugs. But "drugs" as a category aren't what we're discussing. It's either a poor assumption on your part that my opinion here extends across the entire spectrum of "drugs", extreme carelessness with language, or you're doing what I suggested.

I'm saying that parents, not government, should be deciding on their child's introduction to nicotine and alcohol. I'm also saying that laws against use and possession are another tool government can use to fuck with the people they want to fuck with, because history shows us that enforcement wouldn't be in any way uniform. See the thread on the ladies wearing hoodies in the mall where the black kid got cuffed for wearing his.

Yeah, but I don't get second hand cholesterol standing next to someone eating a big Mac.

true. i'm all for restricting smoking to certain locations. just don't think it should be entirely illegal.

They are drugs. But "drugs" as a category aren't what we're discussing. It's either a poor assumption on your part that my opinion here extends across the entire spectrum of "drugs", extreme carelessness with language, or you're doing what I suggested.

I'm saying that parents, not government, should be deciding on their child's introduction to nicotine and alcohol. I'm also saying that laws against use and possession are another tool government can use to fuck with the people they want to fuck with, because history shows us that enforcement wouldn't be in any way uniform. See the thread on the ladies wearing hoodies in the mall where the black kid got cuffed for wearing his.

That's all fine and we can debate those ideas, but why the hostility in this thread? I'm not attacking your idea, I showed it quite a bit of respect by saying we are fundamentally disagreeing instead of saying your idea is dumb or something.

Paid for by the declining tobacco companies I'm sure.

Back