Fedor got his back taken AND mounted

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this. May be Sambo has a different philosophy than BJJ but getting your back taken or getting mounted is a serious thing in any kind of fighting. I thought he was so awesome flipping Chael over in the air and tossing him around in 2 separate TD attempts but how come he was kinda clueless when Chael dragged his hips out and took him down so easily in the final attempt? Why was he taken down by an ankle pick?

Chael said it wasn't necessarily skill on the ground but EXPLOSION. I think there could be some truth to that. Same with Fedor's striking: more explosiveness than skill. Thoughts?

Fedor keeps a high center of gravity and wings wild shots at this point in his career. His hips are awesome, and he relies on sambo/judo and pure power to defend takedowns. So yeah, he's going to be susceptible to the TD with his style.

When he was younger, he did a much better job of using range to nullify takedowns. Look at him get in and out of striking range vs. Nog, for example.

Now he just stands and bangs, so yeah, that's gonna happen. And if you're talking about "skill" vs. "explosion" in terms of his reversal from being mounted, well, there aren't "skills" for getting out of mount against a very good grappler that don't also require a lot of explosion.

Last edited:
Pretty sure his training in 2018 consists of jogging and throwing hay makers at a heavy bag.

It's his cardio. He's 42.

If that flip he did in the beginning of the fight wasn't impressive for a 42 year old fighter then I don't know what is.

VagueEthicalBedlingtonterrier-small.gif

He is by far the most exciting fighter ever, on top of being the GOAT.

He pretty much let Chael pass to mount because it was easier to reverse. Which is why he exploded the second Chael stepped over to mount.

Fedor had always been pretty lax about giving up position off his back - even in his prime. He'd somehow always explode out in a scramble when his opponent tries to pass. He's definitely not the type to hang on to his guard for dear life in the hopes of getting stood up.

VapidBrightGalago-small.gif
TerribleCoordinatedDrafthorse-small.gif

He ended up winning both positions and sometimes in grappling you can let your opponent advance position since that can give you space to reverse. As Chael said Fedor is really explosive so those kind of moves work really well for that kind of grappler. He did the same thing against Nog

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_012.gif
22-Fedor-Emelianenko-vs-Antnio-Rodrigo-Nogueira.gif

He didn’t get his back taken. There were no hooks.

Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this.
he always had somewhat of a weakness with positional grappling but i get the feeling fedor hasn't kept up on his grappling much at all these days, he seems to avoid staying on the ground like the plague even after taking someone down and relies on his power

He and BJ Penn were some of the best fighters....A FUCKING DECADE AGO. And they were on top of their game starting A FUCKING DECADE (practically) BEFORE THAT.

I’m a big fan. And I think most fans are enjoying it because they can. That’s all.

He’s a shell of himself. I’m happy he beat Chael. A loss to Chael in 2018 would have been almost meaningless to Fedors career - a win is too. I don’t really celebrate that win, myself. Not really. But it’s a lot better than a loss.

I expect him to lose in Jan. I will be rooting for him.

Just one reasonable opinion.

Bader wins this 9/10 times.

If he dodges the KO haymakers he wins.

If that flip he did in the beginning of the fight wasn't impressive for a 42 year old fighter then I don't know what is.

That was an awesome move, Chael had him in a waistlock with his hands locked and was mid-takedown and fedor spun him around like a top.

Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this.

Do you not think Fedor is a high level grappler? If so that's a bit insane.

Also, Chael is an amazing wrestler. So I don't fault Fedor. Fedor's defense was amazing anyway.

Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this. May be Sambo has a different philosophy than BJJ but getting your back taken or getting mounted is a serious thing in any kind of fighting. I thought he was so awesome flipping Chael over in the air and tossing him around in 2 separate TD attempts but how come he was kinda clueless when Chael dragged his hips out and took him down so easily in the final attempt? Why was he taken down by an ankle pick?

Chael said it wasn't necessarily skill on the ground but EXPLOSION. I think there could be some truth to that. Same with Fedor's striking: more explosiveness than skill. Thoughts?
B dart.gif

That was my favorite part of the fight. So sick. And agreed he's most exciting fighter ever. I have every one of his fights downloaded and every single one is entertaining.

He pretty much let Chael pass to mount because it was easier to reverse. Which is why he exploded the second Chael stepped over to mount.
Yes we have seen him do this before w coleman etc

It’s weird. It’s like his body isn’t the same as when he was young and in his peak.

VapidBrightGalago-small.gif
TerribleCoordinatedDrafthorse-small.gif

He ended up winning both positions and sometimes in grappling you can let your opponent advance position since that can give you space to reverse. As Chael said Fedor is really explosive so those kind of moves work really well for that kind of grappler. He did the same thing against Nog

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_012.gif
22-Fedor-Emelianenko-vs-Antnio-Rodrigo-Nogueira.gif
Im a fan of Chael and his fight IQ outside of the cage is great...

Inside the cage he seems like CM Punk

Back