Fedor got his back taken AND mounted

Chaels American Gangsta profile took a hit there. He established zero dominance even with a back mount firmly implanted on the other man - his BigHouse Cred is waning..

He’s one of the GOATs man and watching him at this age with the skill set he still has is amazing

But yeah he’s got a lot of mileage and I doubt his chin could hold up in the biggest fights but he’s still just a beast

Chael had absolutely nothing for him, Fedor didn’t fear anything and could just let the hands go

Im a fan of Chael and his fight IQ outside of the cage is great...

Inside the cage he seems like CM Punk

If look how high Chael is on Fedors back he was going to lose that position anyway. That roll is a legitimate move he just failed so badly that it looked ridiculous.

As mentioned he would get taken down in his prime too by Randleman, Coleman. even Lindland was a rope-grab away from scoring a takedown (Fedor also tried to grab the cage to stop a Sonnen takedown in this match).

I say all of that to point out TDD is only part of grappling because he still won those matches via submission (not counting the Sonnen match which he still finished on the mat).

Last edited:
Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this. May be Sambo has a different philosophy than BJJ but getting your back taken or getting mounted is a serious thing in any kind of fighting. I thought he was so awesome flipping Chael over in the air and tossing him around in 2 separate TD attempts but how come he was kinda clueless when Chael dragged his hips out and took him down so easily in the final attempt? Why was he taken down by an ankle pick?

Chael said it wasn't necessarily skill on the ground but EXPLOSION. I think there could be some truth to that. Same with Fedor's striking: more explosiveness than skill. Thoughts?
Fedor's success was to move away from a standard approach to grappling (both wrestling and BJJ) that was developed and practiced without the threat of striking. So judging his grappling based on BJJ "standards" is like judging Buakaw's hands based on boxing "standards". Fedor's dominance was based on innovation rather than reliance on traditional grappling.

Fedor doesnt care about jiu jitsu rules. Gotta admit i was surprised fedor was able to sweep chael when he had mount. Badass Sambo player.

Im a fan of Chael and his fight IQ outside of the cage is great...

Inside the cage he seems like CM Punk
This and the Tito fight are two of the oddest fights i've ever seen Chael in..

He pretty much let Chael pass to mount because it was easier to reverse. Which is why he exploded the second Chael stepped over to mount.

This. U know nothing, Chael even didnt stabilize the mount. Even in a JJ match It wouldnt count any points

Bader wins this 9/10 times.

If he dodges the KO haymakers he wins.
Not a chance.

Bader is going to come in terrified, and rightfully so, and will be slept inside 2 res for sure, likely 1 rd.
Mark my words.

I know right, good catch TS!

And you hear people talk about mike tyson's hand speed.

Well let me tell you, I saw him spar recently and he's really not that fast. What's all the fuss about?

Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this. May be Sambo has a different philosophy than BJJ but getting your back taken or getting mounted is a serious thing in any kind of fighting. I thought he was so awesome flipping Chael over in the air and tossing him around in 2 separate TD attempts but how come he was kinda clueless when Chael dragged his hips out and took him down so easily in the final attempt? Why was he taken down by an ankle pick?

Chael said it wasn't necessarily skill on the ground but EXPLOSION. I think there could be some truth to that. Same with Fedor's striking: more explosiveness than skill. Thoughts?

Fedor has abandoned his grappling entirely since the AA fight, he should go train with Khabib in Dagestan or something

It's his cardio. He's 42.

If that flip he did in the beginning of the fight wasn't impressive for a 42 year old fighter then I don't know what is.

VagueEthicalBedlingtonterrier-small.gif

He is by far the most exciting fighter ever, on top of being the GOAT.
He learned that from Randleman

some fighters, most who wrestled, have an easier time escaping when they are mounted
fedor seems to be that type
he looked to have a useless half guard vs chael
but we all know hes got a great armbar from full guard

when his back was taken he prevented hooks

If Chael can take Fedor down Bader should have no issue.

Bader needs to take Fedor down and maul him. It should be an easy win for Bader if he can just avoid standing with Fedor and avoid any submissions.

To answer your question, he’s a master at sambo\judo and not quite as good in other grappling arts. And I don’t think he cares either.

I think that’s why he sometimes looks like a genius and other times you’re surprised that he wasn’t able to counter a rather common move.

Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this?

what do you mean "think" he's a high level grappler? Are you suggesting someone with multiple world championships in sambo, a black belt in judo, and 17 submission victories in MMA is not a high level grappler??

Its not really an think or dont think type thing. He is definitely a high level grappler.

Back