Fedor got his back taken AND mounted

Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this. May be Sambo has a different philosophy than BJJ but getting your back taken or getting mounted is a serious thing in any kind of fighting. I thought he was so awesome flipping Chael over in the air and tossing him around in 2 separate TD attempts but how come he was kinda clueless when Chael dragged his hips out and took him down so easily in the final attempt? Why was he taken down by an ankle pick?

Chael said it wasn't necessarily skill on the ground but EXPLOSION. I think there could be some truth to that. Same with Fedor's striking: more explosiveness than skill. Thoughts?

He really didn't get his back taken except in the most basic sense. No hooks. No neck. Nothing.

Remember that Fedor is also a Judoka and Judokas often "turtle" as a defensive strategy. It's damned near impossible to put a high level Judoka in any sort of trouble from turtle position, especially without a gi.

As for the mount, he more or less allowed it to give himself an opportunity to sweep (which he accomplished). Wrestlers (like Chael) are strongest and most comfortable in half guard. No one is going anywhere if a strong wrestler is in half guard (in fact, we call that a leg turk, and it's part of a number of pretty damned effective pinning combinations).

Yes we have seen him do this before w coleman etc

Works especially well against high level wrestlers. Couture et al are really comfortable in the half guard because it's a position drilled over and over in wrestling as a method of controlling an opponent and sticking him on his back by using the leg turk to take away his ability to switch his hips and/or bridge.

If a wrestler will let your out of this voluntarily in an effort to "advance position," it's probably best to let him do it.

Lord Chael is no slouch on the ground. His offensive style is bound to have some success it's just his defence is likes swiss cheese!

Fedor went for a sweep from half guard to his left side. You can see him blocking Chael's right leg with left his hand while exploding and bumping his right arm against Chael's neck( there is a gif in this thread of Fedor hitting that sweep on Nog). Chael defends the sweep by posting his right hand and mounts but Fedor was ready for this counter and immediately explodes with an oompah sweep in the opposite direction. Fedor wasn't able to hook Chael's left arm as Chael is able to post with it but he still couldnt stop the sweep from happening.

Curious what Fedor fans who think he's a high level grappler say about this. May be Sambo has a different philosophy than BJJ but getting your back taken or getting mounted is a serious thing in any kind of fighting. I thought he was so awesome flipping Chael over in the air and tossing him around in 2 separate TD attempts but how come he was kinda clueless when Chael dragged his hips out and took him down so easily in the final attempt? Why was he taken down by an ankle pick?

Chael said it wasn't necessarily skill on the ground but EXPLOSION. I think there could be some truth to that. Same with Fedor's striking: more explosiveness than skill. Thoughts?
was a Hoyler vs Sano Mount...

use.gif

Let’s wager??? $50??
I'll take that bet. How do you figure the payment would work? I doubt you'll pay once bador gets smoked.

Side note : fedor is +300, so we'll have to discuss odds

He didn’t get his back taken. There were no hooks.
Thread could've ended with this.

Chael prob felt right away that he'd never get Fedor flattened out, and rightly so. Chael was also too high up to punch (or try for the RNC) without falling off. Best case he winds up with Fedor in his guard.

I'll take that bet. How do you figure the payment would work? I doubt you'll pay once bador gets smoked.

Side note : fedor is +300, so we'll have to discuss odds

Lol no odds. This is straight up. You think fedor wins, I don’t. I’m your bookie.

Lmk if you want to wager (are we allowed to here)

That's kind of Fedor's grappling style, he will let people get dominant but difficult to maintain positions so that he can explode and reverse the position. It works on most people unless they have a huge size advantage and strong grappling like Bigfoot on PEDs.

Lol no odds. This is straight up. You think fedor wins, I don’t. I’m your bookie.

Lmk if you want to wager (are we allowed to here)[/QUOTE

You are a trash bookie.

Why would i use a garbage ass bookie that offfers shit odds and unreliable payment?

Get your bookie game on point ya fucking scrub.

Fedor went for a sweep from half guard to his left side. You can see him blocking Chael's right leg with left his hand while exploding and bumping his right arm against Chael's neck( there is a gif in this thread of Fedor hitting that sweep on Nog). Chael defends the sweep by posting his right hand and mounts but Fedor was ready for this counter and immediately explodes with an oompah sweep in the opposite direction. Fedor wasn't able to hook Chael's left arm as Chael is able to post with it but he still couldnt stop the sweep from happening.
It's upa sweep not oompah

This ain't the chocolate factory Charlie Lol

You are a trash bookie.

Why would i use a garbage ass bookie that offfers shit odds and unreliable payment?

Get your bookie game on point ya fucking scrub.

I hope you are a troll otherwise you’re just retarded. You think fedor is going to win, so bet me. I’m not your fucking bookie. I’m not laying odds. If you think fedor will win bet. Otherwise STFU

It's his cardio. He's 42.

If that flip he did in the beginning of the fight wasn't impressive for a 42 year old fighter then I don't know what is.

VagueEthicalBedlingtonterrier-small.gif

He is by far the most exciting fighter ever, on top of being the GOAT.
Fedor now is the only fighter that never had a boring fight. I had Conor in there too but thought Khabib fight was kind of boring from a competitive standpoint.

No one believes Fedor is a top-notch grappler circa 2018.

He started off as a great judo player (unfortunately in Russia, where they grow on trees), picked up some wrestling through Sombo, and that's it.

He simply adapted it very well for MMA in his prime.

But even in his prime he got taken down some and even back-mounted (Coleman and I think someone else).

In the Bigfoot fight (not prime but not totally shot) he illustrated some deficiencies as well.

I hope you are a troll otherwise you’re just retarded. You think fedor is going to win, so bet me. I’m not your fucking bookie. I’m not laying odds. If you think fedor will win bet. Otherwise STFU
You said you were the bookie. That is a quote, you dumb motherfucker.

Back