Fedor had 9 pounds on Chael Sonnen.

Well if you want a good argument.

Fedor fought CC at 234lbs

He fought Big Foot Silva at 230lbs and lost badly

He fought Hendo at 223 and got KO'd

Going off his past results Fedor has performed worse when he weighed 230 or less.

Think he would've been at successful LHW is just wishful thinking, Penn was able to make 145 fairly easy but was horrible at that weight. In fact there are plenty of fighters who performed better closer to their natural weight, 2 of which are competing for the MW title next. Then there's AJ.

I cant think of any off the top of my head, fighters who were more successful dropping down a weight class.

Fair point. I am simply saying that he is not a big hw. He is just not.
Tito Ortiz is bigger than Fedor and he chose to have his career at lhw with great success. Daniel Cormier dropped down and would have been perfect if not for Jones.
If you look at some of the large lhw's, they are in reasonable shape compared to Fedor even in the off season. Fedor at 223 against Hendo still had a dad bod.

I can't really speculate how he would have done with the proper diet and preparation for 205.

Penn was horribly washed up and passed his time, when he fought at 145.
Fedor was washed up and a shell of himself when he fought Hendo.

Your argument is mediocre.

(And before you bother with Hendo being older than Fedor, keep in mind that Denis Siver is older than BJ. These guys fell off and losing to an even older opponent is irrelevant)

Yes but we can attribute Penn's fall off with a lack of motivation and poor work ethic (Marv Marinovich kicked him out of training for not taking it seriously)

I dont believe Fedor was over the hill, he still has his speed; explosiveness and reflexes well into his 40's, his chin is a little shot, but he was never KO'd before the Hendo bout.

Fedor was simply a bad case of the game evolving past him.
Fair point. I am simply saying that he is not a big hw. He is just not.
Tito Ortiz is bigger than Fedor and he chose to have his career at lhw with great success. Daniel Cormier dropped down and would have been perfect if not for Jones.
If you look at some of the large lhw's, they are in reasonable shape compared to Fedor even in the off season. Fedor at 223 against Hendo still had a dad bod.

I can't really speculate how he would have done with the proper diet and preparation for 205.

Yes but he lost to Hendo at 223, his dad bod was considerably worse, and its safe to say the 12 lbs that Fedor lost wasnt for the better, he lost muscle mass.

Fedor is a quick explosive HW, i dont believe his attributes would've been as effective in a division filled with fast explosive fighters like Pride Wandy, Shogun, even Rampage was a bad stylistic match up for him at 205, less we forget Fedor arguably lost vs Arona in a very close match.

Fedor was a better HW than he was a LHW and is why i believe he chose to fight there.

Why must there be Fedor apologist threads after every fuggin' Fedor fight?

Are hardcore Fedor fans the most insecure people on the planet or something?

It makes me a little sad too man. Fedor is by far my favorite fighter of all time. I hate to see him talking shots at this age though.

Still I am very excited and it would be epic if he beat Bader by way of rocking him, judo throwing him and thenfollowing up with an arm bar.

yeah. same for me.

fighting Mir and Sonnen is one thing. fighting Bader is when it starts to get real.

I am cheering for the same outcome as you. I even like Bader. it would be awesome for Fedor to pull out one last big win

but then he will probably just keep fighting...

Yes but we can attribute Penn's fall off with a lack of motivation and poor work ethic (Marv Marinovich kicked him out of training for not taking it seriously)

I dont believe Fedor was over the hill, he still has his speed; explosiveness and reflexes well into his 40's, his chin is a little shot, but he was never KO'd before the Hendo bout.

Fedor was simply a bad case of the game evolving past him.

Yes but he lost to Hendo at 223, his dad bod was considerably worse, and its safe to say the 12 lbs that Fedor lost wasnt for the better, he lost muscle mass.

Fedor is a quick explosive HW, i dont believe his attributes would've been as effective in a division filled with fast explosive fighters like Pride Wandy, Shogun, even Rampage was a bad stylistic match up for him at 205, less we forget Fedor arguably lost vs Arona in a very close match.

Fedor was a better HW than he was a LHW and is why i believe he chose to fight there.

Maybe.
Again, I am just saying that he is not a big hw and there are guys who are lhw who are larger. That is all I am saying.
He has never competed at lhw so I really can't speak to that.

I am not going to wander into speculative territory about what is or is not a suitable weight for anyone to compete at. I simply said that he is a small hw. I really don't know what else to say. Most of the 235 to 245 pound hw's are less flabby.

Same reason there has to be Fedor hate threads after each fight. Taking the time to post about it calling people insecure is not contributing to the issue at all, lol.

Yes, hardcore fans are so insecure, likely the most insecure human beings on the planet. You feel better?

I don't see what the issue is, the guy shows up and goes for broke every fight even as a worn older fighter. All the bickering about the subjective goat bullshit aside, whats not to like about the guy?

I strongly approve of your av btw.

Being older didn't even matter in Hendo's case, as he was enhanced by PEDs. The best performances of his career was when he was on TRT. Before TRT he was decision Dan. Then TRT Hendo became a KO machine. After TRT he fell off immediately. He is exactly like Vitor, in that drugs made his career what it was. He was a much worse fighter off of them (though still good).

His best wins are also at 205 and HW. It's really weird when people call Hendo a MW when he's fighting at 205+. He's 3-1 at HW with wins over Big Nog and Fedor, those are the best 2 wins of his career. Hendo isn't nearly as good at 185 as he is at 205+.

It's a reaction to the Conor Era new fight fans who shit on fighters that passed their primes before they ever started watching the sport.

It also happened a lot when Brock started fighting, they brought in a lot of trollish fans.

Same reason there has to be Fedor hate threads after each fight. Taking the time to post about it calling people insecure is not contributing to the issue at all, lol.

Yes, hardcore fans are so insecure, likely the most insecure human beings on the planet. You feel better?

I don't see what the issue is, the guy shows up and goes for broke every fight even as a worn older fighter. All the bickering about the subjective goat bullshit aside, whats not to like about the guy?

I strongly approve of your av btw.
He's already the HW GOAT. Anyone who disagrees with that is a noob or just someone trying to troll the hardcore fans to get a rise out of them like this thread.

The 9 extra was Fedor’s legendary love handles.

Natty all the way!

It's a reaction to the Conor Era new fight fans who shit on fighters that passed their primes before they ever started watching the sport.

It also happened a lot when Brock started fighting, they brought in a lot of trollish fans.

True story. All I have to do is say Igor Vovchanchyn was a beast for his time and half the people reading will fire up youtube and then come back with insults as if they knew all along who he was.

A guy moving up in weight like that is not the same as a guy who is naturally that weight.

Does anyone remember the time when prime Fedor got KO’d by a 50 yo WW in the first round?
hendo-ko-on-fedor.gif

Can’t wait to see how the “HW Goat” does against a mediocre career LHW.
I thought you were cool Boy George.

A guy moving up in weight like that is not the same as a guy who is naturally that weight.

I don't think Chael packed on a bunch of weight, he just didn't diet the same or cut any weight.

Chael lost to Jeremy horn like 3 times…settle down you fucking delusional fedorists. Plus natural middleweight vs natural heavyweight LMAO!!!

We should just forget that fight ever happened. The Mir fight was nice, it was good to see Fedor get a win. But if Sonnen actually put any real effort in it seemed like he would of won that fight.

Chael did put in effort...

And was tossed around like a child trying to go for takedowns and got caught early with bombs.

Charles just lucky fedor gassed or that gnp would have been heavier lol

despite his success at HW, Fedor is really a LHW by modern standards. He clearly carries around a bit of extra weight and making 205 would have been a breeze.

I've long maintained that Fedor's ideal move (from strictly a competitive standpoint, rather than personal life) would have been to drop to LHW following Pride (or at least after Affliction), diversified or completely changed camps, and joined the UFC.

A slimmed down Fedor, with a new camp to better evolve his game, could have ruled the UFC LHW division for *years*, IMHO.

as for Sonnen, his future is at 205...but good luck dealing with the likes of Bader, Davis, etc.
I honestly don't think he could make the cut. He was lean in his early years.
I imagine if you're not used to cutting weight like most American fighters, it's not going to be easy in his 30's or now for him. HW seems best for him. Still has speed.

Back