Fedor vs Chael in the clinch?

2004 account

For a fair sport/true mma fan, ain't no shill
@Silver
Reaction score
Who will get the best of clinch exchanges between fedor and Sonnen?

It’s hard to say, I think both have things that they are great at but I’d favor fedor slightly from the clinch, but you be the judge. Here are two videos that highlight each one’s go-to moves in the clinch. I suggest watching both of them. This fight can definitely be determined in the clinch.

Who will get the best of clinch exchanges between fedor and Sonnen?

It’s hard to say, I think both have things that they are great at but I’d favor fedor slightly from the clinch, but you be the judge. Here are two videos that highlight each one’s go-to moves in the clinch. I suggest watching both of them. This fight can definitely be determined in the clinch.

Fedor looked bad in a clinch vs Hendo.
Hendo definitely had technique over power on him.

Sonnen is not a clinch pro though....

Chael's inside and outside trips from over/under against Rampage were great, but Rampage was not in any kind of shape for that fight
I expect Fedor to have an advantage, both physical and technical, due to his Judo background, I do not think he's ever been taken down from the clinch, although I could be wrong

Chael's inside and outside trips from over/under against Rampage were great, but Rampage was not in any kind of shape for that fight
I expect Fedor to have an advantage, both physical and technical, due to his Judo background, I do not think he's ever been taken down from the clinch, although I could be wrong
@ 3mn50

Good point TS...

Was also thinking about what might be the or a very deciding factor in this fight...and i also thought it is probably the clinch...
Because...shooting in for TDs against Fedor...Hmm...well ask Coleman what he thinks about it.

Its wrestling vs Judo/Sambo in this one...

As allready mentioned...Hendo did very good in the clinch, but that doesn't mean Chael will do as good as Dan did.

I think Chael can have some success with Fedor's back against the cage with a trip takedown...
If they are circling around in the clinch, somewhere else in the cage, i think Fedor Judo and Sambo will take over...reversing Chaels attempts or even send him flying...

But as allways...the most important factor in a Chael Sonnen fight is, how will he responding to his opponents offense?
And Fedor will definetly get some offense!
Will he melt?...

Bigfoot maybe ? Just a stab in the dark...

Fedor cant swing wild hooks against Chael, needs to fight with his weight on back foot (or was it front foot?) and hips ready to sprawl. Probe with the jab, without over committing in the first rounds to see if Chael will panic wrestle like he has done sometimes from the start of the fight, and punish him with gnp for every failed td.

Last edited:
Bigfoot shot in on a double leg, Fedor has always been very double leg-able, Nog got him down with one too

Thought Nog did something similar to his guard pull on big Timmeh.... He shot the double, didn’t really finish it, but used it to create a scramble..

Either way I guess..

Fedor looked like a child in that fight
Never quit though his leg lock at end of 2nd was awesome

I actually had that fight at one round apiece... Bigfoot obviously savaged him in the 2nd... But this was the days where a 10-8 meant someone looked like they got hit with 12-gauge buckshot in the face... Fedor has pulled through adversity bf, the “just bleed” guy in me wanted a round 3....

Chael is going to lose the same way he did against Rashad which is belly down tapping to strikes, putting money on a Fedor victory in the 1st via ko/tko

Will be interesting to see what happens. I will be impressed if Fedor cans top Sonnens takedowns.

Fedor cant swing wild hooks against Chael, needs to fight with his weight on back foot (or was it front foot?) and hips ready to sprawl. Probe with the jab, without over committing in the first rounds to see if Chael will panic wrestle like he has done sometimes from the start of the fight, and punish him with gnp for every failed td.

>Implying Fedor won't just swing wild haymakers

Lmao.

I suspect another fight where Fedor is essentially TKO'd from 5 seconds after the bell rings. It's the unstoppable force vs. the immovable object. Chael's pathetically pillowy fists vs. Fedor's non-existent chin.

It’s wishful thinking, I don’t want to see fedor fight sloppy but I know he might anyways.

But as far as getting ko’d , who has Sonnen ko’d before ? I really doubt Fedors chin is as bad as people make it seem.

Fedor went over a decade without being knocked down. Now hes been knocked down in his last 3 fights... his chin is gone... not sure if it will show against pillow fisted chael..

Actually, Fedor was dominating till he ended up on fours...
once again the Sambo background messed him up cuz he ended up turning back but unlike Bigfoot fight the angle was unlikely.

its unlikely you can KO the way Hendo did but he trained it.

Fedor's chin is absolutely gone but,

Fedor looked bad in a clinch vs Hendo.
Hendo definitely had technique over power on him.

Sonnen is not a clinch pro though....

I've been thinking the fight could be determined by how they look in the first clinch. Then again Chael usually shoots for a double in the first 30 seconds to a minute so that might not even be what happens. This wont be a close fight either way it goes. Fedor will get taken down and beaten up or Chael will get stomped. Not gonna be a 3 round war LOL.

Actually, Fedor was dominating till he ended up on fours...
once again the Sambo background messed him up cuz he ended up turning back but unlike Bigfoot fight the angle was unlikely.

its unlikely you can KO the way Hendo did but he trained it.

Fedor's chin is absolutely gone but,

I'm talking specifically about the clinch.
Hendo easily reversed bigger, stronger opponent.

Back