Fedor's striking: Straight punch doesn't always beat a looping punch...

berkut

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've been noticing alot of people giving Fedor a hard time because of his wide looping punching style saying he has bad standup technique.

I beg to differ. A straight punch is not always better than a wide looping punch, especially not in MMA with the small gloves.

For examples watch Fedor vs. Tim Silvia or Shogun vs. Machida 2. In both instances the fight was won because Fedor and Shogun were able to slip the straight punch and drop their opponents with a looping punch counter.

Most of these poeple are just saying this because they have trained in or watchied mostly boxing their whole lives in which you are taught to punch strait and throw short and tight combinations.

In boxing this is recommended because looping punches don't do much damage with those big gloves on.

In mma they are much more effective and also help to protect your chin and also help to wrap up your opponent and initiate a takedown from the clinch.

Fedor's punching style is something from combat sambo that the adapted for MMA.

People need to realize that striking in boxing is considerably different than strking mma and it is not the be all end all of striking techniques.

Discuss...

Wide looping punch=hook
Which is what Fedor throws a shit ton of in all of his fights

Wide looping punch=hook
Which is what Fedor throws a shit ton of in all of his fights

Not exactly. People have called it a casting punch, and it's a technique taken from combat sambo. The unorthodox way it is thrown catches people off guard, but the real advantage of the punch is that if you don't connect, you can very easily clinch up. It generates great power too, but is not a good idea of you want to able to hold a spoon at age 30.

Here's a video with SamboSteve in it holding the mitts I believe.

My boxing coach is a Master of Sports in boxing and explained it to us.

Not exactly. People have called it a casting punch, and it's a technique taken from combat sambo. The unorthodox way it is thrown catches people off guard, but the real advantage of the punch is that if you don't connect, you can very easily clinch up. It generates great power too, but is not a good idea of you want to able to hold a spoon at age 30.

He throws a shit ton more hooks casting punches are only worth a fuck if hes far or you wanna clinch its dumb as fuck

Here's a video with SamboSteve in it holding the mitts I believe.

My boxing coach is a Master of Sports in boxing and explained it to us.

Yup slap em with the back of your hand not your knuckles great technique there also great way to dislocate shoulder. Those guys best be trollin

I dunno, it seems to work great for Fedor, and for russian military training. Like I said it isn't a durable way to fight, but it works great. I guess you just aren't open to new things.

In boxing this is recommended because looping punches don't do much damage with those big gloves on.

Who recommends this in boxing? The most recent high profile Boxing KO was a left hook counter.

Pacman's KO of Hatton was a looping punch (can't remember if left hook or overhand). Reem's KO of Edwards was a counter right hook. Zambo's highlight reel KO of Kid was a right hook.

The problem is that usually people don't know how to use a looping punch. MMA strikers get a bad rap because they throw looping punches when they should be throwing straight punches.

Fedor can throw all the looping punches he wants because we have a highlight reel of him fucking people up with it.

a circular attack can defeat a linear attack and a linear attack can defeat a circular one.

Last edited:
The "Casting Punch" is different from a standard boxing hook in that you can still deliver a powerful punch with your arm fully extended because of the unique angle of your joints while performing it. My only criticism is that it really does open you up to tight looping counters if your opponent steps inside.

Learn to physics.

I've been noticing alot of people giving Fedor a hard time because of his wide looping punching style saying he has bad standup technique.

I beg to differ. A straight punch is not always better than a wide looping punch, especially not in MMA with the small gloves.

For examples watch Fedor vs. Tim Silvia or Shogun vs. Machida 2. In both instances the fight was won because Fedor and Shogun were able to slip the straight punch and drop their opponents with a looping punch counter.

Most of these poeple are just saying this because they have trained in or watchied mostly boxing their whole lives in which you are taught to punch strait and throw short and tight combinations.

In mma they are much more effective and also help to protect your chin and also help to wrap up your opponent and initiate a takedown from the clinch.

Fedor's punching style is something from combat sambo that the adapted for MMA.

People need to realize that striking in boxing is considerably different than strking mma and it is not the be all end all of striking techniques.

Discuss...

It can also be countered more easily because most of the time it's telegraphed, and it takes a while to reach the opponent because it's a wide punch.

Unless the punch is more compact then yeah, it's a good punch. But then it wouldn't be a looping punch would it? I just think that it's bad technique man. To be honest.

You could get a lot of power from compact shots that aren't telegraphed as much as looping punches.

-Can be countered more easily.
-Set you up in a bad position because of weight distribution.
-Telegraphed.
-leaves your defense open. Basically to get countered.

I think the bad out ways the potential good, and it's power is just as good, or less than a compact power punch. But it doesn't have the looping punches cons, so compact hooks or power punches are better in my opinion.

Last edited:
Good thoughts.

The type of punch that should be used at any given moment is determined by relative spatial orientation. But while the general idea to get is the "straight punch vs curved punch and curved punch vs straight punch", there will always be variants to this.

Easy example is that against a jab you can catch and counter jab (straight) or you can slip and overhand (curved). You can also slip and throw a left hook (curved) or you can slip and throw a (straight) left to the body followed by a right body hook (curved).

So there's never been an absolute in terms of what goes where because on fighting there are just too many variables to contend with.

how is this casting punch landing? It looks like the thumb/back of the hand. Hasn't Fedor had as many hand problems as any MMA fighter you can think of?

The striking area should to just about the same (top 2 knuckles) but on connection your hand is turned over so that your palm is facing away from the target. The rotation comes from the shoulder, not the wrist as some people seem to think.

Good thoughts.

Easy example is that against a jab you can catch and counter jab (straight) or you can slip and overhand (curved). You can also slip and throw a left hook (curved) or you can slip and throw a (straight) left to the body followed by a right body hook (curved).

So there's never been an absolute in terms of what goes where because on fighting there are just too many variables to contend with.

I pretty much agree with all that you say here.
If you have a longer reach then your opponent then straight punches can be your best friends. The idea being that if your straight punch lands (even on the opponents guard) then they will not be able to hit you because their arms won't cover the same distance yours do.
Good boxers have put this use time and time again and it is a truism of boxing that a good straight punch beats a good looping punch IF the straight punch lands.

how is this casting punch landing? It looks like the thumb/back of the hand. Hasn't Fedor had as many hand problems as any MMA fighter you can think of?

Yeah, and it's partly because of this and his power. It's an akward angle that can catch anyone off guard. But like I said, the real advantage is that if you miss, your forearm follows the neck and brings you directly into a clinch.

Good thoughts.

The type of punch that should be used at any given moment is determined by relative spatial orientation. But while the general idea to get is the "straight punch vs curved punch and curved punch vs straight punch", there will always be variants to this.

Umm, ummm I'm confused.

Isn't TS talking about wide punches, not hooks vs straights and jabs, i.e what your post is about. Because if he's arguing over what your talking about this thread is somewhat retarded. Not your post, but arguing over which punch is better is pretty stupid.

I think he means the form. There's a difference between compact hooks and wide hooks. I don't know the specific names, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about compact punches vs looping punches or in other words wide punches. i.e the exact opposite of compact.

Like I stated earlier looping punches leave you more vulnerable than compact punches, that is a fact. The potential benefits of looping punches are definitely out weighed by the potential harm it can cause.

Back