Fedor's striking: Straight punch doesn't always beat a looping punch...

Are you saying this because the way you throw the casting punch, it is easier to break your hand?

Don't take my word for it, but it seem to me that the angle looks like an issue when it comes to metacarpals.

Also, Fedor has good boxing, great hed movement, defence, speed and combos. He just has a style adapted for groundfighting as well, hence the casting punches.

It just looks like overhand right?

Aside from that, some of you guys are still arguing over straights vs hooks; which this thread isn't about. He's talking about compact punches vs looping punches.

Also nice post of nicolino locche slipping one lol. You can see him slip and his opponent is still facing the wrong direction because he shifted his weight forward too much with the punch lol. (52 second mark)

PS:52-58 seconds, watch guy in red trunks miss.

Last edited:
It just looks like overhand right?

Aside from that, some of you guys are still arguing over straights vs hooks; which this thread isn't about. He's talking about compact punches vs looping punches.

Also nice post of nicolino locche slipping one lol. You can see him slip and his opponent is still facing the wrong direction because he shifted his weight forward too much with the punch lol. (52 second mark)

PS:52-58 seconds, watch guy in red trunks miss.

Well technically he's dipping, bobbing and weaving those looping punches. Slips are more lateral head/body movement to move to the inside or outside of a punch. But yea...when I saw that vid in another thread, I felt it had a lot of relevance to this conversation and the effectiveness of the "casting punch".

If you're both standing square, one throws a looping overhand, the other throws a straight up the middle, the straight is going to land first. However, if that overhand is a counter, accompanied by a slight slip, the straight can be evaded with the overhand landing.

If you're both standing square, one throws a looping overhand, the other throws a straight up the middle, the straight is going to land first. However, if that overhand is a counter, accompanied by a slight slip, the straight can be evaded with the overhand landing.

This. Every punch has their place.

Well technically he's dipping, bobbing and weaving those looping punches. Slips are more lateral head/body movement to move to the inside or outside of a punch. But yea...when I saw that vid in another thread, I felt it had a lot of relevance to this conversation and the effectiveness of the "casting punch".

Ummm, I know what he's doing dude lol. I know the difference between a slipping, bobbing, and weaving. It looks like he used all three to be honest.

It looks like he tried to slip but bobbed, then weaved. I guess I was wrong about him slipping the punch.

This. Every punch has their place.

Yeah, everything is relative to the situation. There really is no point in arguing over which is better. It's like rock, paper, scissors (kind of).

Last edited:
You replied before I added in some stuff!! But yea that's what I'm talking about. Fedor's punch, as made obvious in his actual fights, isn't the same punch as on that video of the nerds.

That was noticeable right off.

It's not the same punch in that Fedor doesn't rotate the arm to that degree and doesn't strike with the back of the hand, he strikes with the first two nuckles.

Aside from that they the rest of the mechanics are very similar to how fedor does it, leads with the shoulder to cover the chin and generate torque, whips the arm out while extending it and rotating it slightly in order to hit with the first two nuckles.

If the opponent steps in you miss the punch but your arm will naturally wrap him up (hence the term casting punch) and allow you to transition immediately into the clinch takedown.

If the opponent steps back he will either evade it or more probably get hit by the punch, as the added reach you get from turning the the shoulder and extending the arm is difficult for opponents to estimate and anticipate in time...

The best way to avoid the punch would be a dip to the outside...

Come to think of it maybe that's why Fedor has been so successfull using it against taller opponents as they are too tall and too slow to dip the punch hence they either get clocked by it or get wrapped up and taken down.

It's not the same punch in that Fedor doesn't rotate the arm to that degree and doesn't strike with the back of the hand, he strikes with the first two nuckles.

Aside from that they the rest of the mechanics are very similar to how fedor does it, leads with the shoulder to cover the chin and generate torque, whips the arm out while extending it and rotating it slightly in order to hit with the first two nuckles.

If the opponent steps in you miss the punch but your arm will naturally wrap him up (hence the term casting punch) and allow you to transition immediately into the clinch takedown.

If the opponent steps back he will either evade it or more probably get hit by the punch, as the added reach you get from turning the the shoulder and extending the arm is difficult for opponents to estimate and anticipate in time...

The best way to avoid the punch would be a dip to the outside...

Come to think of it maybe that's why Fedor has been so successfull using it against taller opponents as they are too tall and too slow to dip the punch hence they either get clocked by it or get wrapped up and taken down.

Or they could just slip, and counter, or just bob and counter with an uppercut. Or slip and weave to the outside to avoid the clinch and counter to the body.

And his punch looks like an overhand right. I'm not saying overhands aren't useful, but like I said earlier:
Yeah, everything is relative to the situation. There really is no point in arguing over which is better. It's like rock, paper, scissors (kind of).

Or they could just slip, and counter, or just bob and counter with an uppercut. Or slip and weave to the outside to avoid the clinch and counter to the body.

And his punch looks like an overhand right. I'm not saying overhands aren't useful, but like I said earlier:

You can't effectively "slip" a looping punch like that unless it's thrown from a mile away an by someone who throws it very slow...

The most effective evasive maneuver would be a dip to the outside in my opinion, you also could bob and weave it but you would have to be very quick and good at bobbing and weaving to effectively evade the attack.

Against larger or slower opponents Fedor doesn't have to worry too much about that hence why he's been so successful with it.

Either way the point of the thread is not to say if a looping punch is better than a straight or compact punch, like you said each one has it's place and can be effective in different situations...

The point of the thread is to get people to understand the effectiveness of the technique behind Fedor's punching style since alot of people (especially boxing fans) seem to dismiss him as having bad technique...

You can't effectively "slip" a looping punch like that unless it's thrown from a mile away an by someone who throws it very slow...

The most effective evasive maneuver would be a dip to the outside in my opinion, you also could bob and weave it but you would have to be very quick and good at bobbing and weaving to effectively evade the attack.

Against larger or slower opponents Fedor doesn't have to worry too much about that hence why he's been so successful with it.

Either way the point of the thread is not to say if a looping punch is better than a straight or compact punch, like you said each one has it's place and can be effective in different situations...

The point of the thread is to get people to understand the effectiveness of the technique behind Fedor's punching style since alot of people (especially boxing fans) seem to dismiss him as having bad technique...

First off, looping punches are not harder to evade than compact punches. That's why there called looping punches, they are wider, and more telegraphed compared to compact punches.

Second, slipping, bobbing, and weaving would be more effective when used on looping punches. Not less effective like what you think.

Third, you have to be good, and experienced to dodge any punch. More so the ones that are compact since they are generally less telegraphed than wide punches.

And no, it's not really bad technique, but I have already told you; punches are relative to the situation. For example, if he were to answer with a overhand for every punch the other guy throws than thats pretty retarded. Not saying he does, it's just an example.

Technique is more of the mechanics of the punch, which also somewhat vary from boxing coaches.

Just me but big looping punches don't worry me as much as short/compact ones I don't see coming. And as others are saying each has it's place.

disentomb_medium.jpg

basic physics. it is a lot easier to generate force on a wide punch using circular momentum. it is traditionally frowned on in boxing because a straight punch travels over a much shorter distance and will land before the looping punch. watch kostya zu, he had a ridiculously potent right hand, but he used to throw it a bit wide on occasion. this is how he got dropped a number of times, his opponent would see him set his weight for the big right and beat him to the punch with their own right.

this

Not exactly. People have called it a casting punch, and it's a technique taken from combat sambo. The unorthodox way it is thrown catches people off guard, but the real advantage of the punch is that if you don't connect, you can very easily clinch up. It generates great power too, but is not a good idea of you want to able to hold a spoon at age 30.

Here's a video with SamboSteve in it holding the mitts I believe.

My boxing coach is a Master of Sports in boxing and explained it to us.

looks like this

Back