Felix Trinidad Top 5

I think Floyd would beat Hagler. Mainly because he would wait until hagler lost or suffered some kind of setback in which he was vulnerable to all incoming requests from the more famous fighter and obviously past his prime as well.

Golovkin is a middleweight and we all wanted that fight, everyone except Floyd, he was too busy fighting Conor
They were never even in the same weight class. People wanted that fight because they wanted to see Floyd at a disadvantage not because they thought it was a fight that needed to be made. lol at anyone who thinks Golovkin vs a guy well past his prime who started his career at 130 pounds was a must see.

I don't believe the Cotto fight was Floyds prime, but I guess I included Leonard for Hagler.

I never saw anyone wear Floyd down, even his worst performance was just a close fight. I saw Hagler outboxed a bunch of times.

The Floyd that debuted at welter, around the time he fought Baldomir, wouldn't have issue with Hagler. Hagler needed to be able to get a guy to slug it out and he was great at that, but great enough to force floyd into a war? No way. It'd look the like Canelo fight, with a faster pace.

Plus, look at how Leonard mind fucked Hagler, imagine what Floyd would do to him.
Very good post!

They were never even in the same weight class. People wanted that fight because they wanted to see Floyd at a disadvantage not because they thought it was a fight that needed to be made. lol at anyone who thinks Golovkin vs a guy well past his prime who started his career at 130 pounds was a must see.

I am not saying Floyd had to do it, all I am saying is other fighters would have taken the risk, Floyd wasn't the kind of guy to take those risks because he cared more about protecting his unbeaten record (for obvious monetary reasons) than he actually cared about the glory. Which is smart but it is also why most people who matter, historians or publications, never really rank Floyd in the top 5, some even have pacman over him when he beat him easily. Can't deny his skill but he also knew which fighters not to mess with, he knew which styles gave him trouble and instead of facing those challenges head on he usually tried to go for the less risk/more reward option.

I am a fan of his boxing skills and his business skills, he almost redefined the way boxing promotion works now a days, but I do not respect the way he conducted himself as a fighter.

It's a fight that, had he won, would have made a case for him as the GOAT. If you compare it to SRR fighting for the LHW title it's not so much of a stretch. It's not like Floyd wouldn't have had a chance to win, it just wasn't worth the risk for him.

I am not saying Floyd had to do it, all I am saying is other fighters would have taken the risk, Floyd wasn't the kind of guy to take those risks because he cared more about protecting his unbeaten record (for obvious monetary reasons) than he actually cared about the glory. Which is smart but it is also why most people who matter, historians or publications, never really rank Floyd in the top 5, some even have pacman over him when he beat him easily. Can't deny his skill but he also knew which fighters not to mess with, he knew which styles gave him trouble and instead of facing those challenges head on he usually tried to go for the less risk/more reward option.

I am a fan of his boxing skills and his business skills, he almost redefined the way boxing promotion works now a days, but I do not respect the way he conducted himself as a fighter.
If I had read yours first I wouldn't have posted. :D

It's a fight that, had he won, would have made a case for him as the GOAT. If you compare it to SRR fighting for the LHW title it's not so much of a stretch. It's not like Floyd wouldn't have had a chance to win, it just wasn't worth the risk for him.
BS, once he beat Golovkin everyone would talk about how overrated Golovkin always was and if Floyd really wanted to test himself, he'd fight Andre Ward. The guy fought in 5 different weight classes. How much is enough to be great?

BS, once he beat Golovkin everyone would talk about how overrated Golovkin always was and if Floyd really wanted to test himself, he'd fight Andre Ward. The guy fought in 5 different weight classes. How much is enough to be great?
You're way over the top exaggerating. When this fight was first talked about GGG even said he'd make 154. At any rate I can only speak for myself and win over GGG would have added a lot of substance to the second part of his career in my eyes.

P.S. Did you just not give Floyd a chance to beat GGG?

You're way over the top exaggerating. When this fight was first talked about GGG even said he'd make 154. At any rate I can only speak for myself and win over GGG would have added a lot of substance to the second part of his career in my eyes.

No, I'm not. Every opponent he ever fought got a downgrade when they lost to Floyd. Too old, too young, too small, never actually fought anyone good, shoulder hurt, etc.

There was nothing Floyd was ever going to do that would end the talk of him not fighting anyone.

Honestly, I can't favor anyone over prime Floyd. What is Golovkin going to do that Canelo, Cotto, Oscar etc all failed to do?

No, I'm not. Every opponent he ever fought got a downgrade when they lost to Floyd. Too old, too young, too small, never actually fought anyone good, shoulder hurt, etc.

There was nothing Floyd was ever going to do that would end the talk of him not fighting anyone.
Were they downgraded after the fight or were they always the underdog? You can try to paint Floyd as the victim, and consider him the GOAT, but it was his own decision to handpick his opponents after his comeback.

And that's a pretty broad brush you're painting with in your last sentence. There will always be people that just hate Floyd but you're lumping everyone together and dismissing their views just because they run counter to your opinion.

Honestly, I can't favor anyone over prime Floyd. What is Golovkin going to do that Canelo, Cotto, Oscar etc all failed to do?

My question is if they had fought a couple of years ago, when it was discussed, do you give Floyd any chance to win? Would he have been the favorite?

My question is if they had fought a couple of years ago, when it was discussed, do you give Floyd any chance to win? Would he have been the favorite?

I couldn't fault people if they thought so but I just don't believe someone as one dimensional as Golovkin could beat Floyd. If he couldn't land his punches on Canelo, he's not landing anything on Floyd.

Were they downgraded after the fight or were they always the underdog? You can try to paint Floyd as the victim, and consider him the GOAT, but it was his own decision to handpick his opponents after his comeback.

And that's a pretty broad brush you're painting with in your last sentence. There will always be people that just hate Floyd but you're lumping everyone together and dismissing their views just because they run counter to your opinion.
Yes, they were. There were people picking Mosley. There were people who thought Canelo would beat Floyd. Lots of people picked Pacquiao.

In conversations like this, we speak in generalities. There's no reason for anyone to be offended.

I couldn't fault people if they thought so but I just don't believe someone as one dimensional as Golovkin could beat Floyd. If he couldn't land his punches on Canelo, he's not landing anything on Floyd.
Then that undercuts your argument. It would have been a challenge but wasn't some no hope fight Floyd had no chance to win.

GGG has looked pretty bad in his last two fights compared to what we knew he could do at his best, or the amateurs, etc. His creativity with combinations has ended and all he does now is push and try to land predictable punches. Even then, he did beat Canelo, come on... that decision is as BS as Floyd getting a majority decision over Canelo when he won almost every round.

Floyd has looked vulnerable against certain styles, especially those who don't fade near the final round, I think prime golovkin vs prime floyd is a difficult fight for Floyd simply due to clash of styles and size difference, not necessarily due to one being better than the other, I think Floyd always knew this.

Yes, they were. There were people picking Mosley. There were people who thought Canelo would beat Floyd. Lots of people picked Pacquiao.

In conversations like this, we speak in generalities. There's no reason for anyone to be offended.
But it's easy to say "some people" because opinions are like sphincters. Maybe some haters, or just fans who are not knowledgeable, were saying those things but you seem to then project that on everyone else who has a valid opinion that differs from yours.

I don't think so, I give Floyd a shitload of credit for facing and beating Corrales, who seemed unbeatable at the time, also for having fought Castillo a second time when I felt he lost the first one. Hatton, DLH, two fights against very difficult opponents that seemed he couldn't avoid either. I think if he had beaten Golovkin it would have fit under these kinds of victories, rather than victories against shot Cotto or Manny, mini Marquez, etc.

But it was going to be a tough fight, for either fighter.

I don't think so, I give Floyd a shitload of credit for facing and beating Corrales, who seemed unbeatable at the time, also for having fought Castillo a second time when I felt he lost the first one. Hatton, DLH, two fights against very difficult opponents that seemed he couldn't avoid either. I think if he had beaten Golovkin it would have fit under these kinds of victories, rather than victories against shot Cotto or Manny, mini Marquez, etc.

But it was going to be a tough fight, for either fighter.
Floyd was older than both Pac and Cotto when he fought them. I also think Marquez more than proved he was qualified to fight at 147.

But it's easy to say "some people" because opinions are like sphincters. Maybe some haters, or just fans who are not knowledgeable, were saying those things but you seem to then project that on everyone else who has a valid opinion that differs from yours.
In Floyds case though, he takes a lot of flack for a resume that is actually pretty deep.

GGG has looked pretty bad in his last two fights compared to what we knew he could do at his best, or the amateurs, etc. His creativity with combinations has ended and all he does now is push and try to land predictable punches. Even then, he did beat Canelo, come on... that decision is as BS as Floyd getting a majority decision over Canelo when he won almost every round.

Floyd has looked vulnerable against certain styles, especially those who don't fade near the final round, I think prime golovkin vs prime floyd is a difficult fight for Floyd simply due to clash of styles and size difference, not necessarily due to one being better than the other, I think Floyd always knew this.
The biggest difference for GGG was that he fought the other two best MWs last year. It was a big step up in competition so we can better gauge him.

Back