Field of Dreams (1989)

G

Guestx

field_of_dreams.jpg

Last night I decided to rewatch this one and it's the first time I've seen it in AT LEAST 20 years. I loved it as a kid--I still have fond memories of watching it with my dad, as we were both into baseball at the time--so I was eager to see how well it held up.

First off, can I just say that the premise for this film is BATSHIT INSANE? Can you imagine the original pitch meeting for this movie where you got a writer and he's like, "Okay guys, listen to this! An Iowa corn farmer hears a disembodied voice that says--okay, stick with me now--'If you build it, he will come.' Eh? Okay? If you build it, he will come. Build what, you ask? A fucking baseball field in his corn! And the ghost of Shoeless Joe Jackson's gonna show up! And at one point our main character's gonna inexplicably time travel back to 1972!"

It's fucking crazy. But it works!

One thing I really have to give this movie credit for is telling a truly original story. There is not much that is formulaic or cliche about this film. Nearly every beat is unexpected and you as the viewer just have to sit back and see where the story goes because there's no way to anticipate what's coming next.

I read that Kevin Costner was only 33 here. Wow. He is at his most charming. James Earl Jones kicks ass and was a perfect addition to the cast. It's fun to see Ray Liotta as Shoeless Joe, and while I can't remember their names, the actresses who played the wife and daughter were also great.

Anyone else have thoughts to offer on this film?

BTW, apparently the baseball field that they built for the movie still stands and is now one of Iowa's top tourist attractions. Damn, I guess he built it and people really did come. . .

1D274906146562-today-field-dreams-140618-02.today-inline-large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't seen this movie in forever!! I am going to watch it tonight!

well shit, now i have to watch it again too - must be 25 years since i watched it myself.

I love when Ray tries to kidnap Terence Mann with his finger.

Yeah I haven't seen it since I was kid, I was never the biggest fan of baseball and kind of feel the young me would find it boring but I watched it a few times as a kid and liked it. Haven't seen it since. Might have to check out again someday.

It really is a great movie about unresolved issues between fathers and sons. Yeah, I could never imagine a movie like that working today. Studios would never make it and it seems like a big portion of society for whatever reason rejects wholesome family movies like that.

I wish Hollywood still took risks and made movies with eccentric ideas. Another good off the wall movie about fathers and sons is Big Fish.

I love when Ray tries to kidnap Terence Mann with his finger.

That's a great scene.

James Earl Jones plays it to perfection, too. I love how he acts mildly threatened, while at the same time obviously certain that there's no real threat at all.

And then he acts totally outraged, while also betraying just a hint of curiosity at what exactly Ray wants with him.

Studios would never make it and it seems like a big portion of society for whatever reason rejects wholesome family movies like that.

It does seem "dark and gritty" is in vogue now, and we see that both in film and television. I do wish we saw more "family friendly" films like this. That is, films that are mature and adult-oriented while also being appealing and appropriate for everybody, and that contain a positive, uplifting message.

Not everything has to be about murder and rape, with a bittersweet-at-best ending.

I loved it as a kid.... but, it doesn't carry the same weight anymore for me.

Some of the acting is really bad. Like when his daughter falls and is choking to death on a hotdog and he and his wife are just like "wait.... stop.... let's see if this young pup crosses the line to save her". They didn't seem like parents whose daughter might die right then, they seemed like a couple hoping the TV repairman can figure out the glitch.

Also, with that scene... there was no understanding that walking across that particular line would zap the person to the present. But, it didn't even do that for ol' Moonlight.... it simply zapped to some period prior to his death (because he would have been dead already in that present) when he was already a doctor. Too random.

I loved it as a kid.... but, it doesn't carry the same weight anymore for me.

Some of the acting is really bad. Like when his daughter falls and is choking to death on a hotdog and he and his wife are just like "wait.... stop.... let's see if this young pup crosses the line to save her". They didn't seem like parents whose daughter might die right then, they seemed like a couple hoping the TV repairman can figure out the glitch.

Also, with that scene... there was no understanding that walking across that particular line would zap the person to the present. But, it didn't even do that for ol' Moonlight.... it simply zapped to some period prior to his death (because he would have been dead already in that present) when he was already a doctor. Too random.

I think if you trying to figure out the rules for the Field of Dreams universe, you're only going to get frustrated. It's a work of magical realism.

How did Kevin Costner hear the voice in the first place? How did James Earl Jones hear the voice and see the message at the baseball game? How did Kevin Costner get zapped back to 1972 by doing nothing more than walking out of a motel door?

I think the movie is ultimately about faith. Ray and his family had the faith to follow the voices and the visions, even though they didn't know where it would all lead. He just believed and trusted that it would all work out. I think the same is true for the scene with the daughter. When Ray saw Archie Graham, it was obvious to him that Graham could help, if he chose to do so. He didn't understand all the specifics, but he knew from looking at Archie that, once again, things were going to work out in the end.

field_of_dreams.jpg

Last night I decided to rewatch this one and it's the first time I've seen it in AT LEAST 20 years. I loved it as a kid--I still have fond memories of watching it with my dad, as we were both into baseball at the time--so I was eager to see how well it held up.

First off, can I just say that the premise for this film is BATSHIT INSANE? Can you imagine the original pitch meeting for this movie where you got a writer and he's like, "Okay guys, listen to this! An Iowa corn farmer hears a disembodied voice that says--okay, stick with me now--'If you build it, they will come.' Eh? Okay? If you build it, they will come. Build what, you ask? A fucking baseball field in his corn! And the ghost of Shoeless Joe Jackson's gonna show up! And at one point our main character's gonna inexplicably time travel back to 1972!"

It's fucking crazy. But it works!

One thing I really have to give this movie credit for is telling a truly original story. There is not much that is formulaic or cliche about this film. Nearly every beat is unexpected and you as the viewer just have to sit back and see where the story goes because there's no way to anticipate what's coming next.

I read that Kevin Costner was only 33 here. Wow. He is at his most charming. James Earl Jones kicks ass and was a perfect addition to the cast. It's fun to see Ray Liotta as Shoeless Joe, and while I can't remember their names, the actresses who played the wife and daughter were also great.

Anyone else have thoughts to offer on this film?

BTW, apparently the baseball field that they built for the movie still stands and is now one of Iowa's top tourist attractions. Damn, I guess he built it and they really did come. . .

1D274906146562-today-field-dreams-140618-02.today-inline-large.jpg

I enjoy going to baseball games from time to time, but I was never really a huge baseball fan. Regardless, I remember being fascinated by this movie as a kid. I doubt I would enjoy it much as an adult though.

Anyone else?

C'mon bruhs, this is Field of Dreams! No on else has seen/remembers/appreciates this movie?

All I remember about this movie is that it was one of the 3 cheap movies you could buy at McDonalds for some reason.

All I remember about this movie is that it was one of the 3 cheap movies you could buy at McDonalds for some reason.

Ha. Was it?

For some reason I don't remember this one being part of that promotion, but I do remember buying Dirty Rotten Scoundrels from McD's.

I need to watch this movie, it's been on my list for years. I started watching it with a date about 23 years ago. The date "went well" so I didn't see much of the movie.

Ha. Was it?

For some reason I don't remember this one being part of that promotion, but I do remember buying Dirty Rotten Scoundrels from McD's.

I just looked it up and they had quite a few different movies that were sold there in the '90's. The only one I can distinctly remember was field of dreams. I've seen the movie and can't remember a damn thing about it except the McDonalds promotion. Memory can be so bizarre.

One of my good friends in HS was a big fan. We mocked him for it.

Back