Fight gloves vs sparring gloves

RDL81

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey everyone

This might seem likeastrenge question but is there much of a difference? At the gym people spar in 16oz gloves and the white collar fights we have in UK are also 16oz so would you use the same gloves for both? Or would some gloves give advantage in the fight over others for example?

Cheers

Hey everyone

This might seem likeastrenge question but is there much of a difference? At the gym people spar in 16oz gloves and the white collar fights we have in UK are also 16oz so would you use the same gloves for both? Or would some gloves give advantage in the fight over others for example?

Cheers

If they are 16oz gloves then they are not real fight gloves. You guys are fighting in training gloves.

Fight gloves are typically 8 to 10 oz. I have seen kickboxing matches using 12 oz, however.

<mma4> .

Hey everyone

Cheers

You must distinguish between amateur and professional boxing.

Amateur
The AIBA Technical Rules stipulate what gloves must be used in amateur fights.

Fight gloves for Elite boxers are 10oz for Light Welterweight and below and 12oz for Welterweight and above.

But Masters boxers are sometimes permitted to fight with 16oz gloves, I think.

All AIBA-approved amateur gloves are padded with foam.

Professional
The gloves used in professional fights are usually 8oz or 10oz.

Professional fight gloves are padded with foam or, more traditionally, horsehair.

The white-collar fights you've witnessed were probably amateur Masters fights with 16oz gloves or smoker fights in which the competitors decided to use 16oz for greater protection.

I am talking master/smoker for you US guys. I should add that it’s headguards as well.

I am aware that pros use smaller weight gloves but I am not talking pro fights at all

My question was more is there a big difference in terms of 16oz gloves ie sparring such as winning etc or something u would fight in as a master in a smoker?

There are differences in size that matter, not just the weight. Using a smaller glove will make it easier to find openings in your opponents defense. It would be too much to discuss all of this, but unless you are fighting for title or money it is always good to have bigger gloves for your own defense :)

It’s not money or title but I will HAVE to win it’s simple as that haha

If they are 16oz gloves then they are not real fight gloves. You guys are fighting in training gloves.

Fight gloves are typically 8 to 10 oz. I have seen kickboxing matches using 12 oz, however.

<mma4> .

There are no amateur boxing sanctioning bodies that allow for 8 oz gloves that I’m aware of, but both AIBA and USABOXING have options for 16 oz gloves. I can post links to 16 oz approved boxing gloves for amateur boxing, but I cannot say the same about 8 oz.

The TS was clearly not looking for professional fight gloves as he even stated white collar boxing in the original post.

My question was more is there a big difference in terms of 16oz gloves ie sparring such as winning etc or something u would fight in as a master in a smoker?
There are two questions here: Gloves for a smoker and gloves for a sanctioned masters bout.

For the masters bout, the gloves would have to be provided by the LBC. The gloves used are typically Title/Ringside gloves, and the padding and feel is similar to that of a pair of training gloves from either company. Cushy more than anything and far from a punchers glove.

For the smoker, you’d generally wear your own gloves as it would be unsanctioned. We always require boxers to wear 16 oz gloves, but no real restrictions beyond that. Reyes, winning, Sabas, Title, Ringside, etc, are all common place. Just a matter of preference at that point.

For what it’s worth, I should mention that I’m a gym owner and have a smoker scheduled at my place this Saturday. I’ve also competed in amateur boxing for years, and have cornered hundreds of bouts. I’m not just pulling information out of my ass.

Chuck on some 16oz Fairtex BGV9's and you'll win by knock out every time.

@beaglepuss thanks I am talking unsanctioned smoker.

@Woldog this is kind of my point I don't want to be wearing a pair of winning or UMA and my opponent has a pair of BVG9

@Woldog do you know if / what the lace up equivalent of the BGV9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Judoka_Noob
Back