Fight long reach vs. short reach?

Yourstepdad

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
'Sup, boxing connaisseurs

What are, according to you guys, good examples of fights where a fighter with a short reach did good against a fighter with longer reach?

Hoping to see fights with a big difference.

(In my personal case, it is a challenge i am facing. Im used to either having a reach advantage, or my reach disadvantage not being too much. But now i keep losing to this guy with huge f*cking arms.

I just cant get to him, all my " tricks" to step off to the side dont work. Hopefully you guys know some gpod fights for inspiration)

Last edited:
giphy.gif

No prob, just fight like Tua. Hope you got a granite chin and superhuman power.

Feint and then chase his jab. Move to your left or right before attacking. Move your head. Double jab to get inside. Slip to the outside of his jab then step in with a right hand, even if it is only to set up a left hook or stiff jab. You'll feel like you are working more to stay on even terms. That's not necessarily true. You are just either playing his game or working harder, not smarter. Don't let him get what he wants. If he keeps doing the same thing, time him, if he keeps moving to your power walk him into a right. If he comes in aggressively you weave your head, gloves up, get low and get inside. Then hit his body. If he stays on the outside pressure him by stayang just at his range. Use that pressure and the here to draw him. Expect his punch. It can only be a straight left or right at range so be ready to slip and get up close or punch your way in. Take small steps, not big ones, and don't reach, despite your compulsion to do so to close the range. When you punch, punch in bunches because you'll have the initiative at your range. Going one for one, trying to fence with him will get you nowhere. You need too be honest with the relationship between your respective body types and fighting styles. You want him to make mistakes where he will be closer took you and he will be taking steps to prevent that. Confuse him. Honestly, his long arms are a disadvantage when you are fighting at your range. Don't look at his reach as a barrier to overcome, but rather something to exploit and use against him.

You'll be surprised by this but as soon as a fighter doesn't get to do what usually works for him, he gets real impatient and frustrated.

So, make his whole world a lie.

Don't look for flaws, look for habits and patterns. Then turn turn them into his flaws.

FWIW: Rocky Marciano had the shortest reach of any heavyweight champ.

49-0

Pacquiao vs Margarito.

Marlon Starling vs Mark Breland

Jimmy Paul vs Alvin Hayes

Feint and then chase his jab. Move to your left or right before attacking. Move your head. Double jab to get inside. Slip to the outside of his jab then step in with a right hand, even if it is only to set up a left hook or stiff jab. You'll feel like you are working more to stay on even terms. That's not necessarily true. You are just either playing his game or working harder, not smarter. Don't let him get what he wants. If he keeps doing the same thing, time him, if he keeps moving to your power walk him into a right. If he comes in aggressively you weave your head, gloves up, get low and get inside. Then hit his body. If he stays on the outside pressure him by stayang just at his range. Use that pressure and the here to draw him. Expect his punch. It can only be a straight left or right at range so be ready to slip and get up close or punch your way in. Take small steps, not big ones, and don't reach, despite your compulsion to do so to close the range. When you punch, punch in bunches because you'll have the initiative at your range. Going one for one, trying to fence with him will get you nowhere. You need too be honest with the relationship between your respective body types and fighting styles. You want him to make mistakes where he will be closer took you and he will be taking steps to prevent that. Confuse him. Honestly, his long arms are a disadvantage when you are fighting at your range. Don't look at his reach as a barrier to overcome, but rather something to exploit and use against him.

You'll be surprised by this but as soon as a fighter doesn't get to do what usually works for him, he gets real impatient and frustrated.

Don't look for flaws, look for habits and patterns. Then turn turn them into his flaws.

Very Good post.

I had similar problems to the TS but mainly because I almost always had a reach/height advantage due to my physique. I struggled when I was the short guy mainly because I had to fight outside my own comfort zone. When I filled out a bit and started to spar with the heavies, I had to adapt my style to overcome this issue and it meant being more open to being hit

Marvelous Marvin coped ok with hearns being longer, it's more in your mind than how long your fucking arms are.

Pacquiao vs Margarito.

Marlon Starling vs Mark Breland

Yeah Pac vs Margarito is the perfect example of how to overcome height and reach disadvantage to me.

Of course everyone is not Manny..

Awesome post with excellent tips, thank you

I have read it multiple times already. Tonight it's on again, hopefully i can execute at least some of this

Awesome post with excellent tips, thank you

I have read it multiple times already. Tonight it's on again, hopefully i can execute at least some of this

Yeah, I just reread and saw all the goddamn spelling errors so I hope it made sense and it's of value to you. haha

Yeah, I just reread and saw all the goddamn spelling errors so I hope it made sense and it's of value to you. haha

Hahaha nah dont worry about that! hadnt even seen

Reread it a couple times to envision what this brother is about to go through. Thanks again

Mayweather with his shorter height and reach destroyed Corrales from the outside

Mayweather with his shorter height and reach destroyed Corrales from the outside

Corrales never fought tall though. He would foward alot in his fight amd give up his reach on his own.

Mayweather vs N'dou is better example of Floyd out boxing taller fight but Floyd has a pretty gopd reach on him for his hieght.

Corrales never fought tall though. He would foward alot in his fight amd give up his reach on his own.

Mayweather vs N'dou is better example of Floyd out boxing taller fight but Floyd has a pretty gopd reach on him for his hieght.
Good points

just dont let the tall guy breathe.

Ricky was relentess

bump
I actually think Mayweather had a longer reach than Corrales. Corrales is known for having T Rex arms.

Back