Fight Night Santiago : Demian Maia - "I believe in my skills"

Just gotta believe in him

Please beat usman so we don’t have to hear about him

Short promo on this weekends headliner, Maia.

No question he is one of the highest skilled BJJ guys to ever step foot in the Octagon.

But this is a tough match-up for him. Very short notice, against a physical specimen in Usman, who has very solid wrestling, and a tough match-up for anyone in the division.

Still, will be rooting for Maia to pull off some of his BJJ wizardry, one last time.

I believe in his skills too. Usman is rightly the favorite but I would love to see Maia pull it off.

His attitude is great. He is a true martial artist and one of the good guys.

Fan of both guys and kinda want Maia to take this. However, I feel Usman will be too strong and fast for him.

Should be an interesting bout and I'm looking forward to it.

His skills will not be enough

Usman about to make an example out of Maia and instil even more fear in this shook division.

Hoping for Maia to win this.

Just realized he’s fighting this weekend. What a shit card again. I know Maia, Usman and Grasso. That’s it. Inb4 casual detected.

Well, this is not the fight I wanted to see Demian in... but if he beats Usman, he could face wonderboy... that’s a fight a want to see...

I hope I'm wrong but I see no other outcome than Usman sleeping Him

Then talking so much shit that will make me cringe
'Everyone's avoiding me' 'do you see me now'??

Yeah we see you
We just don't want to

Out of curiosity, would you feel the same way if Maia had a full camp and it was a 3 rounder?

Maia fought masvidal, woodley and Covington (3 top 5 fighters) back to back to back in a time span of 6 months. And now he's taking a short notice 5 round fight?

Da fuck. I'd pick him to win if he had a full camp and it was 3 rounds.

Well, this is not the fight I wanted to see Demian in... but if he beats Usman, he could face wonderboy... that’s a fight a want to see...

I didn't care who demian fought next, but I was hoping he'd have a full camp. I didn't like his quick turn arounds from masvidal to woodley to covington.

I've always wanted to see wonderboy vs Maia, too btw.

It will look like the moraes fight imo

I'm in NO WAY crediting Usman as a finisher he's a fucking joke

But he will just bang with Maia

I mean fuck.. I'd have a striking match with Maia.. what's he gonna do?

You lie. Moraes wishes he had the chance to be taught striking by Maia.

Maia's problem recently has been his cardio. Even if he starts strong, he'll fade eventually ,especially on short notice in a five rounder. And against a cardio machine like Usman, the odds are stacked against him.

His problem isn't necessarily his cardio, it's his choices that drain his cardio. Versus Tyrun, doing those outside shots proved pointless and energy draining...and versus Cody he blew his load in the first round, striking like a mad man. Maia's striking is very arm heavy, stiff. No doubt he drains himself. When he's engaged in actual grappling, his cardio is very good...but outside of that, it can be negatively affected. But, given short notice factor (again), plus his age...cardio can indeed be a factor.

I really really hope he mixes up his TD's, doesn't chase him...put the onus on Usman to engage. I hope Maia gets into his game.

Maia’s whole demeanor is the epitome of jiu jitsu in mma, I absolutely love it. Win or lose he’s one of the most genuine fighters, or excuse me, martial artists on the roster. WAR MAIA

On another note Usman is explosive and scary.

Short promo on this weekends headliner, Maia.

No question he is one of the highest skilled BJJ guys to ever step foot in the Octagon.

But this is a tough match-up for him. Very short notice, against a physical specimen in Usman, who has very solid wrestling, and a tough match-up for anyone in the division.

Still, will be rooting for Maia to pull off some of his BJJ wizardry, one last time.

Hardcore rooting for Maia, but I don't have faith in his cardio, takedowns, and striking to beat Usman. Super scared that Usman will get a KO win once Maia is tired. Aren't the odds like -400/-500 Usman and +400 Maia or something similar?

Maia... Top-tier BJJ... But this isn't Condit or Masvidal. Doubt the fight goes to the ground unless Usman wants it there. Thinking he gets pieced up standing to the end...

• Allow take down
  • Control posture
  • Sweep
  • Gain full mount
  • GnP
  • Take opponents back when he turns
  • Body triangle
  • Sink in RNC
  • Collect paycheque
WARMAIA

I really want Maia to win this but I just really can't see him pulling it off. Usman is a young, hungry, and talented stud who's looking to make his mark.

Out of curiosity, would you feel the same way if Maia had a full camp and it was a 3 rounder?

Maia fought masvidal, woodley and Covington (3 top 5 fighters) back to back to back in a time span of 6 months. And now he's taking a short notice 5 round fight?

Da fuck. I'd pick him to win if he had a full camp and it was 3 rounds.

I would still pick Usman and very confidently

Back